36 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Flaherty was our 3B next year. We'd need a decent SS backup though if we put Machado there.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...the guy still has a career OBP < 300.

#22 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Fair point. I'm just saying, other than Cabrera at SS, nobody really jumps out at me as far as free agent shortstops or third basemen. We can afford a blackhole or two in the lineup if they are very good defensively. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#23 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

Fair point. I'm just saying, other than Cabrera at SS, nobody really jumps out at me as far as free agent shortstops or third basemen. We can afford a blackhole or two in the lineup if they are very good defensively. 

Keep JJ.  Problem solved.

Between his stead defense and his work ethic, I don't want him going anywhere.  (But, we don't need to discuss this here and derail the thread.)

#24 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

I'm not saying he'll be good.

#25 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

I'm not suggesting he should be the ALDS MVP, but Flaherty made some outstanding defensive plays at critical moments.

I'll take this as X-Factor validation.

• Dr. FLK likes this
@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,735 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:01 PM

Brad Ausmus and the Tigers pen were our MVP's.

But from our own players, Cruz for sure. Norris and Miller are the two pitchers who deserve the most credit IMO. 

Lots of love for Flaherty here, which is cool, but Schoop really had a nice series. He was actually quite productive at the plate to go along with his usual strong defense. Hardy also had a very good series other than the throwing error yesterday. 

• Dr. FLK likes this

#27 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

Brad Ausmus and the Tigers pen were our MVP's.

But from our own players, Cruz for sure. Norris and Miller are the two pitchers who deserve the most credit IMO. 

Lots of love for Flaherty here, which is cool, but Schoop really had a nice series. He was actually quite productive at the plate to go along with his usual strong defense. Hardy also had a very good series other than the throwing error yesterday. 

Yeah, Schoop impressed me as well. Hopefully Schoop and Flaherty can build on this and continue to play well. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,865 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Flaherty's walk in Game 1 and Hardy's walk in Game 2 were also quietly really important moments.

Nobody really played bad this series.  Adam's numbers are again unimpressive, but he had a really big SB (at the time) and his hit yesterday ended up being very important.  His numbers suggest he still really struggled, and he cerainly didn't hit well, but I'm actually less concerned about him having success in the ALCS due to nerves than I was about him heading into the ALDS.  Also, he hits Shields well (841 OPS in 47 PA).  Not a lot of success in limited exposure to the rest of the KC rotation and bullpen, though.  Hopefully that changes.

#29 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

Definitely Cruz, IMO.  Lots of strong performances and candidates, which is why we swept.  But Nelson's two HRs were huge, he had other big hits, and obviously produced the only runs on the board in the clinching game.

Agreed.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

And Schoop had my favorite play ever when he sat on the runner diving back into 2B, picked up the ball with his bare hand, and tagged him out while sporting a guilty grin.

That was classic and you have to have the announcers comments with it too.

The funniest part was him trying to reach the bag with Schoop laying on top of him.....when you watched it from the infield angle...he kept trying to stretch his hand out but he couldn't get there.

#31 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, Schoop impressed me as well. Hopefully Schoop and Flaherty can build on this and continue to play well. 

...one more comment on this.....it was easy to consider a scenario exactly like what happened, but where Schoop feels some pressure and short arms it to 1B.....he just stood on the front of the bag and rifled it to 1B.  That's what you want.

#32 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

That was classic and you have to have the announcers comments with it too.

The funniest part was him trying to reach the bag with Schoop laying on top of him.....when you watched it from the infield angle...he kept trying to stretch his hand out but he couldn't get there.

Here's the link for the play at 2B with Schoop/Kelly on the tackle.

1:58....too funny.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,865 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

I just heard Manfra's call of the Cruz HR.  Has there ever been a more Manfraesque call than that?

Tail end of this clip.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...lead-with-homer

#34 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

I just heard Manfra's call of the Cruz HR.  Has there ever been a more Manfraesque call than that?

Tail end of this clip.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...lead-with-homer

I'm sure Manfra's a nice guy, and he does fine being 2nd fiddle while Joe Angel calls the game... but he should never be the PBP guy... I don't like Jim Hunter at all, but he's a lot better at radio-PBP than Manfra is... (radio-PBP keeps Hunter busy enough that his Inner Dork doesn't have much chance to show...)

I'd kinda like to hear Joe Angel doing a Scully and calling the whole game by himself, tell stories, etc.

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,740 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

"Fly ball by Cruz, it travels towards the left-field, scratch that, right-field wall, back goes the fielder, he reaches up and it is....................................................................................................................... hooking foul....a foul ball by Cruz that came this close to being a.......................................... home run!  Scratch that!  Home run for Cruz!  It just got inside the foul pole down the right field line and it is a home run and now Cruz is rounding the bases and he has hit a home run that was originally looking foul but it ended up being...."

pulling-hair.jpg

• Ricker Says and DJ MC like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,740 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

"Fly ball by Cruz, it travels towards the left-field, scratch that, right-field wall, back goes the fielder, he reaches up and it is....................................................................................................................... hooking foul....a foul ball by Cruz that came this close to being a.......................................... home run!  Scratch that!  Home run for Cruz!  It just got inside the foul pole down the right field line and it is a home run and now Cruz is rounding the bases and he has hit a home run that was originally looking foul but it ended up being...."

pulling-hair.jpg

Btw I typed this before I actually listened to the clip.
  • BSLBobPhelan and Mackus like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,865 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Btw I typed this before I actually listened to the clip.

My first thought reading your post was "I don't remember Manfra saying left field", never crossed my mind that it wasn't a real transcription.

• Ricker Says likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners