1326 replies to this topic

#1301 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:48 PM

True, but headsets fail and they need to have a backup. Lamar has a wristband, and he's checking it often. Signals could be the number on the wristband to call. 

The crime doesn't seem to fit the reward, though. A team is going to risk possible steep penalties (fines, forfeited draft picks, etc.) for an eventuality that may never happen? Couple in the fact that, if caught and penalized, the Patriots are going to be treated as multiple offenders, and it seems like an awful lot to lose with so little to gain.

#1302 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

The crime doesn't seem to fit the reward, though. A team is going to risk possible steep penalties (fines, forfeited draft picks, etc.) for an eventuality that may never happen? Couple in the fact that, if caught and penalized, the Patriots are going to be treated as multiple offenders, and it seems like an awful lot to lose with so little to gain.

They're already multiple offenders. Organizationally they have proven that the rewards are worth the risks. Send a film crew in for a show / segment about scouting, take a lot of video of your next week's opponent's sideline, and play innocent if you get caught. It's a brilliant move if you're a shrewd cheater. Folks for years have raved about the brilliance of the Patriots organization, how they're always steps ahead of everyone else with their thinking, their rules interpretations, everything. But suddenly they get caught AGAIN doing the same thing that started it all... and they expect folks to buy the excuses. Please. You can't have it both ways with a straight face (talking about the Patriots, not you). :)

I'd also say that there's more than a little at stake here. At the time of the incident, the Ravens were on the road vs a 9-3 team, and the Patriots would love nothing more than to get homefield advantage again thru the AFC. Pats win this past Sunday and the Ravens lose (on the road vs a very tough team) and the Pats would have been right back within a hair of top seed.

#1303 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,377 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:51 PM

https://twitter.com/...265478596816896

Blatant
  • Ricker Says and BSLMikeRandall like this

#1304 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,729 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:53 PM

https://twitter.com/...265478596816896

Blatant

That is awfully damning. They should be suspended from postseason play. They obviously didn't get the message from Spygate.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#1305 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,281 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 06:26 PM

That is awfully damning. They should be suspended from postseason play. They obviously didn't get the message from Spygate.

They keep saying “they can’t be this dumb”.
Yes. But they are this arrogant.

They keep wanting to keep Belichicks name clean, and place blame on the organization.
Except Belichick is the GM, Kraft’s #2, he is just as much the organization as anyone else. He’s not just the head coach like most other head coaches are.
  • Ricker Says likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1306 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:55 AM

They keep saying “they can’t be this dumb”.
Yes. But they are this arrogant.

They keep wanting to keep Belichicks name clean, and place blame on the organization.
Except Belichick is the GM, Kraft’s #2, he is just as much the organization as anyone else. He’s not just the head coach like most other head coaches are.

Exactly. All of the "they can't be this dumb" stuff is missing the point... they aren't dumb, they're arrogant. They did it 10+ years ago, they're doing it again, and you can bet the farm they did it in between too.

Convenient separation of responsibility by blaming it on their "independent" videographer team. Belichick is insulated from it (by design) when the crap hits the fan. Ultimately, the Patriots ORGANIZATION should be forced to pay SIGNIFICANT penalties, to a level (in my opinion) that we've almost never seen before in professional sports.

These teams are very diligent about reviewing and approving what and how video is used by their own production teams. Brian Billick used to like and encourage behind the scenes sideline film, which helped birth the original half hour, three segment version of Ravens Wired. But they always made sure someone reviewed and approved what was used. Harbaugh doesn't like it, which is why the current Wired is WAY more watered down and shorter than it used to be... all you really get are game film highlights and a smattering of sideline small talk. And it's all reviewed and approved by someone before it makes it to air.

#1307 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,753 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

The Ringer: The Pats Won the AFC East Again. But the Division Is Closer Than Ever.

#1308 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,753 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:22 PM

ESPN: Inside Bill Belichick's resignation as the Jets' coach 20 years ago

https://www.espn.com...ch-20-years-ago

#1309 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Apparently the NFL has found no evidence linking Belichick and the New England coaching staff to the latest video taping fandango.

Link

I think this year's version of the Patriots could produce more film than Cecil B. DeMille and it isn't going to overcome their shortcomings. They might have a run of a game or two left in them, but I'd be shocked if they were representing the AFC in Miami come February.

#1310 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Their road schedule is brutal next year.  Lots of miles including 3 trips to WC. Outside of division play, it's LAC, LAR, SEA, HOU, and KC.

Home schedule is much easier: division, BAL, SF, LV, DEN, ARZ

I think Brady and the Patriots will be stuck with one another for 2020. I think 9-7 is very possible.

Boy did my outlook on this team change on a dime or what?

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLJordanKough like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1311 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

108 points allowed through 10 games.

DAL, @HOU, KC are their remaining difficult games before finishing with @CIN, BUF and MIA.

It's going to be very close to break the 165 points allowed record. If they finish the season allowing ~10 points on average, they'll have around 168 points allowed but I think DAL, HOU and KC will score about 60 points combined.

They finished with 225 points allowed. 2000 Ravens record is safe for now.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1312 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

By a wide margin.

Their defense wasn’t even that great...just looked better because of schedule as it turns out.
@BSLRobShields

#1313 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,157 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

By a wide margin.

Their defense wasn’t even that great...just looked better because of schedule as it turns out.

This is very true.  Looking back, we may not have realized it at the time, but the Ravens really exposed the Patriots.

Find a quality win, against a good offensive team on their schedule.  Their best wins, were the Steelers and the Bills, and neither of them had a QB or an an offense.

@mikeghg

#1314 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:49 AM

This is very true.  Looking back, we may not have realized it at the time, but the Ravens really exposed the Patriots.

Find a quality win, against a good offensive team on their schedule.  Their best wins, were the Steelers and the Bills, and neither of them had a QB or an an offense.

Dallas has a good offense (6th in points, 1st in yards) and they held them to 9 points. But I agree, their defense was very overrated.

#1315 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Joe Judge going to New York.

#1316 Ravens2006

Ravens2006
  • Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:46 PM

The 2000 Ravens played 20 games.  In those 20 games, the opponent's offense scored IN ANY FASHION twice or less 16 times.  I always thought that aspect to what they accomplished was always overlooked.  80% of the time, despite all the possessions opposing defenses had (and the Ravens ran the ball well, but weren't exactly a dominant offense), no more than TWO possessions a game ended with ANY points at all.

If I recall correctly, if not for the NYG kick-off return TD in the Superbowl, the 2000 Ravens would have eclipsed the PREVIOUS 16 game points allowed record THROUGH 20 GAMES, including all four playoff contests.

Insane...

#1317 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:35 PM

Dallas has a good offense (6th in points, 1st in yards) and they held them to 9 points. But I agree, their defense was very overrated.

It was awful weather for that game though.
@BSLRobShields

#1318 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,687 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

Dante Scarnecchia retired.

He was the Pats long time OLine coach and widely regarded as the best in the league and maybe best ever.

Quietly, a very big loss for the team.
@BSLRobShields

#1319 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:03 PM

He was the Pats long time OLine coach and widely regarded as the best in the league and maybe best ever.

Brady can probably thank him for the long career he had.

#1320 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,157 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

The regime in New England is getting older.  If Brady leaves, someone else in that division, may actually have a chance.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners