505 replies to this topic

#1 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

I thought we could use a general discussion on Baltimore development. If there is another thread like this, please merge it Chris, but I looked through some of the forums and couldn't find anything.

Anyways...The Mechanic Theater is in the beginning stages of being torn down.

On a development forum I frequent, there were some brutalist architecture apologists who wanted it to survive....I was shocked anyone would actually want it to stick around...

Hopefully something relevant will go there. It's essentially the center of the city and it's been abandoned for years.

Anyone ever see a show there? 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Every time I drive past that I wonder how anyone thought it would be a good idea.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

Information on Harbor Point:
http://harborpointbaltimore.info/

Located between Harbor East and historic Fells Point, Harbor Point will be a vibrant, highly integrated neighborhood with a focus on sustainability and innovation. As the City’s largest downtown, waterfront site yet to be developed, Harbor Point will be composed of 6 million square feet of mixed-use space on 27 acres and will be the leading development showcasing Baltimore’s urban renaissance. The neighborhood will feature thoughtfully designed public space including 9.5 acres of waterfront parks and a promenade along the water’s edge

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Canton Crossing has sure built up....

http://theshopsatcantoncrossing.com/

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

The parking lot at Canton Crossing is one of the more confusingly designed things I've ever seen, but I am really glad its now there. Good mix of shops and food, and has to be doing good things for my property value.

#6 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Mackus, what's your opinion on the red line?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,986 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

Mackus, what's your opinion on the red line?

Very much for it.  Sadly I imagine that I'll be out of the city and into the burbs long before it gets developed, though. 

#8 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

For sure. At the earliest we're 5 years away from passengers boarding a red line train. Probably more like 8-12.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,796 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

I thought we could use a general discussion on Baltimore development. If there is another thread like this, please merge it Chris, but I looked through some of the forums and couldn't find anything.

Anyways...The Mechanic Theater is in the beginning stages of being torn down.

On a development forum I frequent, there were some brutalist architecture apologists who wanted it to survive....I was shocked anyone would actually want it to stick around...

Hopefully something relevant will go there. It's essentially the center of the city and it's been abandoned for years.

Anyone ever see a show there? 

Ugh. It's sad that those are the people that seem to have the loudest voice at times. The Mechanic was an eyesore even when it was still a serviceable theater. Anyone who likes it is probably a huge fan of Soviet-era architecture....or blind (though it could be argued they are one-and-the-same).

We have those types in Portland too. Thanks to them, the ugly Coliseum still stands next to the Rose Garden, practically useless and costing the city millions per year in maintenance, and costing us our AAA baseball team. All because a bunch of whiny architects managed to scuttle a plan to knock it down and build what would have been a beautiful ballpark right on the Willamette River. Idiots.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Hey, you know that plot along Light Street where they're always going to build a new skyscraper but never actually do?

http://www.baltimore...0,7798013.story

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

Baltimore Business Journal: Bozzuto, H&S Properties partner on 'absolutely stunning' Harbor East project

http://www.bizjourna...ts.html?ana=fbk

#12 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Baltimore Business Journal: Bozzuto, H&S Properties partner on 'absolutely stunning' Harbor East project

http://www.bizjourna...ts.html?ana=fbk

There's a parking lot there now, and has been for years, so build away.

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

... that will be among the tallest buildings in Harbor East...slated to be 280 feet tall, or 70 feet shorter than the 24-story Legg Mason building...

Well bully for them :P

@DJ_McCann

#14 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:18 PM

There's a parking lot there now, and has been for years, so build away.

I'll kind of miss being able smell the bread baking, though.

EDIT:  Now that I actually read the article, the bakery isn't moving, just the distribution center, so I'm on board.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,796 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Read yesterday that Kevin Plank's project to turn the old pier at Fells Point into a hotel cleared a final hurdle and could begin soon. I'm sure the bad economy, and hence lack of financing, was the main reason, but it's nice to finally see these projects that have been on the drawing board for years come to fruition at last. Hopefully this momentum continues so the city can finally take care of the Big Enchilada (arena).

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

@DJ_McCann

#17 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,213 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

I wonder how Rob feels about this. He lives a stones throw away, right?

#18 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hey, you know that plot along Light Street where they're always going to build a new skyscraper but never actually do?

http://www.baltimore...0,7798013.story

Why not....

Amenities for residents are to include a 7th-floor dog park and a 35th-floor library.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,911 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

http://www.baltimore...1029-story.html

Basically, Carroll County is considering a resolution that would ban intercounty mass transit (with the exception of a VA shuttle) from the county. They are offering it as a preventative measure against expanding the local county-run bus system, but as The Sun says, it's very likely also a preemptive strike against expanding a Baltimore-centric system into the county.

The City Paper suggests banning cars from Carroll County from entering the city.

@DJ_McCann

#20 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,483 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

http://www.baltimore...1029-story.html

Basically, Carroll County is considering a resolution that would ban intercounty mass transit (with the exception of a VA shuttle) from the county. They are offering it as a preventative measure against expanding the local county-run bus system, but as The Sun says, it's very likely also a preemptive strike against expanding a Baltimore-centric system into the county.

The City Paper suggests banning cars from Carroll County from entering the city.

Oh, God...

This is kind of thing (different details but same idea) that Cobb County (the suburban county where the new Braves stadium will be) did to prevent MARTA from extending the subway there. But they did it decades ago, back when the subway was being built.  

But ATL is the place where they used to have secret, non-published bus routes thru the rich neighborhoods so the black hired help had a way to show up to be maids and cooks without bringing the riff raff with them.  Only the rich people knew all the route details.  Now, I knew the BAL area is the place where Frank Robinson could only buy a house in certain neighborhoods... and the place to which the then-new O's didn't bring Satchel Paige from St.L. with the rest of the team because he was black... but even though I know those things, I still expect the area to act better than this...

My theory is that, while racism was never dead, there were a few solid decades where even the racists knew it was not acceptable to overtly act like a racist... you had to be sneaky about it... but the last decade or so certainly has seen the lid blown off of that Pandora's box... now, you can get votes by damn near saying it out loud...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners