Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

BSL: Project 2014: The Defenses of the Big Ten

http://baltimorespor...fenses-big-ten/

In my latest preview article, I take a look at each of the defensive schemes in the Big Ten and how the Terps will fit into that with their 3-4 defense.

• BSLChrisStoner and Adam Wolff like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

I want to see MD put up 50 vs. Indiana in the Terps first Big Ten game.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

That ought to be an entertaining game to watch....and that's setting aside the whole historical aspect of it. I'll be interested to see what the over/under on that one is. And while I imagine the Terps will be the favorite, even on the road, that might be the game I'd choose with the greatest potential for them to be upset this season.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'd gladly take a win, but yes, they should be able to essentially score at will against them as long as they execute well. Old Dominion and FIU had better defenses last season, and Maryland hit 40 against them before the game hit the 4th quarter. Obviously Indiana played better offenses, but Maryland's offense should be better than 2013.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

That ought to be an entertaining game to watch....and that's setting aside the whole historical aspect of it. I'll be interested to see what the over/under on that one is. And while I imagine the Terps will be the favorite, even on the road, that might be the game I'd choose with the greatest potential for them to be upset this season.

I don't see them losing that game. Indiana's defense is one of the worst in the country, and that Air Raid offense doesn't worry me that much. The Terps faced Old Dominion's "high-powered" offenses, and shut it down. They had a ton of success in their 3-2-6 dollar defense that they used almost 100% of the time they played the Monarchs.

But, looking at the schedule, they may not be "favored" in that many games. Depending on how the season goes, they may be barely favored against Iowa, and will certainly be favored against Rutgers. And of course JMU, at USF, and vs. West Virginia. The Syracuse game will likely be a toss-up. But their first game in the Big Ten against one of the worst defenses in the country? Can't see them losing that, even on the road.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't see them losing that game. Indiana's defense is one of the worst in the country, and that Air Raid offense doesn't worry me that much. The Terps faced Old Dominion's "high-powered" offenses, and shut it down. They had a ton of success in their 3-2-6 dollar defense that they used almost 100% of the time they played the Monarchs.

But, looking at the schedule, they may not be "favored" in that many games. Depending on how the season goes, they may be barely favored against Iowa, and will certainly be favored against Rutgers. And of course JMU, at USF, and vs. West Virginia. The Syracuse game will likely be a toss-up. But their first game in the Big Ten against one of the worst defenses in the country? Can't see them losing that, even on the road.

One of the reasons they are called upsets is because most people don't see it coming. I just have a gut feeling about that game.

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

One of the reasons they are called upsets is because most people don't see it coming. I just have a gut feeling about that game.

Fair enough. I have one about the Syracuse game. That one worries me. But overall, I really like this team's chances this season. Both sides of the ball look even better in camp, especially the defense. Plus they only lose 4 impact starters from last season (McDougle, Whitfield, Stinebaugh, Arnett) so they have great experience on both sides of the ball. I believe they have the highest percentage of their offensive production returning in the country.

@BSLZackKiesel

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,783 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Fair enough. I have one about the Syracuse game. That one worries me. But overall, I really like this team's chances this season. Both sides of the ball look even better in camp, especially the defense. Plus they only lose 4 impact starters from last season (McDougle, Whitfield, Stinebaugh, Arnett) so they have great experience on both sides of the ball. I believe they have the highest percentage of their offensive production returning in the country.
Definitely think the Syracuse game could go that way too. Conversely, I could see them being on the right side of an upset too. One that stands out is Iowa (though by the time that game arrives it might not seem that way). But Iowa has a habit of surpassing expectations when they are low, and disappointing when expectations are high, and the signs this year point to the latter. I also think the Terps could surprise at either the Big House or Happy Valley. Talent-wise I don't think either of those teams are as superior to MD as people might think....it's mostly going to be about MD's ability not to get caught up in the history of those programs and the environment, which won't be easy for a team short on "big game" experience, but it's doable.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Definitely think the Syracuse game could go that way too. Conversely, I could see them being on the right side of an upset too. One that stands out is Iowa (though by the time that game arrives it might not seem that way). But Iowa has a habit of surpassing expectations when they are low, and disappointing when expectations are high, and the signs this year point to the latter. I also think the Terps could surprise at either the Big House or Happy Valley. Talent-wise I don't think either of those teams are as superior to MD as people might think....it's mostly going to be about MD's ability not to get caught up in the history of those programs and the environment, which won't be easy for a team short on "big game" experience, but it's doable.

Feel the same all away around.  (I've also think marking USF and WVU as definitive wins is too much.)

Dream (and quite plausible scenario) to me is being 5-0 when they host Ohio State...  if they can get to 5-0, and not be embarrassed vs. the Buckeyes (think FSU last year); it could be a very fun season if they spring one of those upsets down the stretch.

Conversely, if you lose one (or more) of those games vs. USF, WVU, 'Cuse, Indiana... and things could be real dicey.

#10 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Feel the same all away around.  (I've also think marking USF and WVU as definitive wins is too much.)

Dream (and quite plausible scenario) to me is being 5-0 when they host Ohio State...  if they can get to 5-0, and not be embarrassed vs. the Buckeyes (think FSU last year); it could be a very fun season if they spring one of those upsets down the stretch.

Conversely, if you lose one (or more) of those games vs. USF, WVU, 'Cuse, Indiana... and things could be real dicey.

Agree on the USF and WVU points. Wasn't marking those as definitive wins, I rarely mark anything as a definitive win. Just saying the Terps will be favored in those games, which makes sense right now. They just need to stay in that game against Ohio State. The fact that they're at home will do wonders for that, I believe. The defense needs to get the game to the second half, and maybe a few big plays by the passing game (OSU's pass defense was one of the worst in the country last season) sparks them to a big upset. Everything would have to go right, but the game being at home is big.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners