#561 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,191 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

I sure hope Philly wasn't planning their future based on signing someone that has two full seasons before they would have become a free agent.

I mean, their GM is the king of percolation himself. ;)
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#562 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,372 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

Shoutout to Stephen A Smith thinking Mike Scioscia still works for the Angels

#563 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:31 PM

10 year anniversary for Adenhart’s death...can’t believe it’s been that long.
@BSLRobShields

#564 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

Awesome article from Law about Trout and how he dropped...and how Billy Rowell played a part in it.

https://www.espn.com...out-fell-angels
@BSLRobShields

#565 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,928 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

Awesome article from Law about Trout and how he dropped...and how Billy Rowell played a part in it.

https://www.espn.com...out-fell-angels

I've heard Law tell that story before, and I find it hilarious, mostly for the reason expressed by one of the scouts further down.

Mike Alberts, Nationals area scout for the Northeast: People would ask, "What high school position players come out of the Northeast?" Like, when you've taken a kid from college, people ask who has come out of that college? The next year there was another high school hitter from New Jersey, Carl Thomore, who had almost lost his leg. He was husky, he had a buzzcut, he talked like Trout. So scouts said, "I'm not going to miss the next Mike Trout."

When Michael Lewis wrote about the now-famous scouting meeting in Moneyball, people laughed at various individual bits--the "ugly girlfriend" thing, and the like--but the point was just how easy it is for scouts to fall into groupthink and "conventional wisdom" and all of that stuff, where it blinds them to what they should be looking for. Blindness is a real problem for people whose livelihood rests entirely on how they process what they see.

@DJ_McCann

#566 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,372 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

Ohtani with the cycle last night... 

Including last night, he has had 447 ML ab's... has a career .908 OPS, with 30 homers. 

#567 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

Somehow Trout is on pace to have his best year ever.

Is there any doubt he is one of the top 10 players ever?
@BSLRobShields

#568 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

He'll be top-100 in career WAR by about the All Star break.

#569 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

He's the best player of all time and I don't think its even debatable any longer.  

@fuzydunlop

#570 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:16 PM

He's the best player of all time and I don't think its even debatable any longer.  

Woah.

Ruth is still, well, Babe Ruth.  Trout is on an insane pace and the level he's produced basically since stepping foot in the majors is amazing.  But Ruth had 7 seasons with a higher WAR (offense only, ignoring pitching contributions) than the highest season in Trout's career to date (10.1 in 2013).  5 of those 7 seasons came at ages older than Trout is now, I think you could argue Trout thru Age 27 was better than Ruth thru Age 27, but Trout is gonna have to continue or even improve his ridiculous play for the next 10 years to amass as much WAR as Ruth did.

I also am not sure if Trout is having a better career than somewhat contemporary guys Bonds and Clemens, both of whom matched amazing early halves of their careers with amazing second halves.  Though if you wanna exclude them from the conversation for other reasons, I won't argue with that.

#571 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,501 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

I'm looking at it from the perspective that you can't take Ruth and put him in today's game.  I know its messy to even think about different eras and compare them, but the players today are playing at such a higher level than they were at any other point in history.

Just read the MVP Machine, they had a chart in there where they showed the average league ability from 26-29 year olds (essentially measuring peaks), and its....I'm trying to recall but I want to say its 10% higher than even 10 years ago.  

I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Joe Sheehan @joe_sheehan
FollowingFollowing @joe_sheehan
More

Another perfectly productive morning brought to a dead stop by getting sucked into Mike Trout's baseball-reference page. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/troutmi01.shtml  He's the best who has ever played the game, folks. Ever.

@fuzydunlop

#572 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,015 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

I'm looking at it from the perspective that you can't take Ruth and put him in today's game.  I know its messy to even think about different eras and compare them, but the players today are playing at such a higher level than they were at any other point in history.

Just read the MVP Machine, they had a chart in there where they showed the average league ability from 26-29 year olds (essentially measuring peaks), and its....I'm trying to recall but I want to say its 10% higher than even 10 years ago.  

I'm not the only one who thinks so:

Joe Sheehan‏ @joe_sheehan
FollowingFollowing @joe_sheehan
More

Another perfectly productive morning brought to a dead stop by getting sucked into Mike Trout's baseball-reference page. https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/troutmi01.shtml  He's the best who has ever played the game, folks. Ever.

Ok, that's a perfectly reasonable perspective.  But maybe not fair in an apples to apples standpoint.

I doubt anyone at the NCAA Div-II track and field championships each spring are making a really big deal about how the the guy who finished 4th place is faster than Jesse Owens (completely made up example, I don't know if sprinting has actually surpassed Owens to that degree or if it's hyperbole).    Bill Russell wouldn't have started over Bruno Fernando this past year at Maryland if you teleported his 20 year-old self to College Park. 

So I think if we're gonna discuss "best player ever", I prefer to talk about a guy against his peers, rather than how he compares to players 100 years later when the rising tide has raised all ships to a degree the original guy never could have reached from a purely physical level.  I totally agree that the things the typical pro or international athlete can do now physically are substantially greater than the things done just a couple generations ago, yet alone what guys 100 years ago could do.

#573 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,386 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:55 PM

Ok, that's a perfectly reasonable perspective. But maybe not fair in an apples to apples standpoint.

I doubt anyone at the NCAA Div-II track and field championships each spring are making a really big deal about how the the guy who finished 4th place is faster than Jesse Owens (completely made up example, I don't know if sprinting has actually surpassed Owens to that degree or if it's hyperbole). Bill Russell wouldn't have started over Bruno Fernando this past year at Maryland if you teleported his 20 year-old self to College Park.

So I think if we're gonna discuss "best player ever", I prefer to talk about a guy against his peers, rather than how he compares to players 100 years later when the rising tide has raised all ships to a degree the original guy never could have reached from a purely physical level. I totally agree that the things the typical pro or international athlete can do now physically are substantially greater than the things done just a couple generations ago, yet alone what guys 100 years ago could do.

I agree with this perspective, although I think that's significant hyperbole regarding Russell.

I don't think it makes sense to talk about who the greatest player ever is if the standard is how well they'd do in the present day without any adjustments. That, while a fun conversation, is obviously vastly skewed to the modern athletes.

Now, I do think some factors can be considered that can be held against an athlete from the past, such as if a sport lacked much competition for some reason (recently started, segregation, little interest), or the rules and/or style of play were archaic.

#574 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,372 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

Re: Trout / Best Ever

https://www.baltimor...f-our-lifetime/

#575 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,372 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

D9grgoDWwAAzSRk.jpg

#576 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

Holy shit!

#Angels have announced that pitcher Tyler Skaggs died this morning in Texas. The game vs. #Rangers has been canceled.

@BSLRobShields

#577 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,239 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:16 PM

So sad.

First Adenhart a few years ago and now Skaggs.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#578 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,779 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

It’s been 10 years for Adenhart already
@BSLRobShields

#579 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,239 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

It’s been 10 years for Adenhart already

Wow. You’re right. Insane how time flies.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#580 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:33 AM

They honored Tyler Skaggs last night. His mom threw out the first pitch and then they won 13-0 on a combined no-hitter.

Here’s the freaky part. They scored 7 runs in the first inning, on their way to scoring 13.

Today, 7/13, would have been Skaggs’ birthday.
  • BSLBobPhelan and Mackus like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Partners