http://baltimorespor...ional-analysts/

• Russ and Greg Pappas like this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,977 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Where do you agree / disagree with these Analysts?

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

I agree with pretty much everything, but my one disagreement would be regarding Zach Britton (well at least 2 out of the 3 analysts, the other seemed to love him).

Britton is not the same pitcher he was when he was starting. His velocity is way up and the movement on his sinker is just nasty. It has to be one of the most unhittable pitches in baseball right now, 95-98 with that kind of downward movement is just not fair.

I fully expect him to be a lights out closer the rest of the season and for the forseeable future if he can maintain the quality of his sinker.

@gabefergy

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,977 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

On queue.

#5 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

My take on Chris' questions:

http://baltimorespor...econd-half-mlb/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLRobShields like this
@JeffLongBP

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,109 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

On queue.

Of course.

@gabefergy

#7 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Chris....we're these guys live with their responses or did you send them your questions and they all responded and then you collated.  I only ask because I was curious if the responses of each of them were considered by what each other were saying.

That's a lot to respond to.  Good read though....I have a lot of thoughts, but agree with a lot of what they said.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,977 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Dude... Questions sent ahead of time, responders unaware of others participating or their response.

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Dude... Questions sent ahead of time, responders unaware of others participating or their response.

thanks....no issue with that, like I said, I was just curious, given their responses, if they were maybe swayed some by other responses or kind of an absolute value response.

I don't know easy it is to get them (others) to respond to so many topics....but that's good work all around.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#10 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

This is a good piece and kudos to Stoner to get some nationally recognized guys to comment on our team.  Small bone to pick, less questions about upcoming offseason moves, more questions about 2nd half stuff.  Maybe in years past (1998-2011) it'd be more interesting to read about what we could do in the offseason but we're in a pennant race!  While I'm curious to see what'll happen with Nick and Cruz this offseason, I'm not going to give it any thought until we've been eliminated.

I have no earthly idea why anyone would want to put Ubaldo in the pen.  He's a walk machine and I think the last thing you'd want is that guy dousing a fire with gasoline coming out of the pen.  I understand the idea that you can get a guy in the pen to come out, give max effort and change the way he pitches but I think Ubaldo struggles more with his wacky mechanics, not what's between his ears.  That, and he's an established starter, I think you try that bullpen switch on a guy like Britton, someone younger who has filthy stuff and hasn't been able to put it together as a starter, the obvious exceptions are guys who are HoF talents like Eckersley and Smoltz who didn't have control issues to begin with.

I'd love to believe Davis can turn it around in the 2nd half, but I think he only can if he learns how to hit to the other side again.  The shifts are absolutely killing him and I do agree with the writer that said it's messed with his head, too.

Ultimately, it's the pitching.  As Earl said, "The only thing that matters is what happens on the little hump out in the middle of the field."  One thing I would have liked to have known is if any of them think Bundy can come up and contribute to the bullpen after Sept 1?  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#11 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Great to see these. This is one of the things that first drew me to the site (other than knowing most of the posters)

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Britton is not the same pitcher he was when he was starting. His velocity is way up and the movement on his sinker is just nasty. It has to be one of the most unhittable pitches in baseball right now, 95-98 with that kind of downward movement is just not fair.

I fully expect him to be a lights out closer the rest of the season and for the forseeable future if he can maintain the quality of his sinker.

He needs more than the one pitch, but I think he can work in his offspeed stuff a little, which is good enough as a second offering, and remain a very reliable relief pitcher.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,977 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Putting this here, since Matthew Kory (one of the Analysts we interviewed) wrote it, and included the below passage about the O's...

Sports on Earth: Trade Deadline Secrets Revealed

http://www.sportsone...iff-lee#!bk3UE7

If you were to liken the Orioles to an actor, it might be Steven Seagal. He kicks a little butt from time to time and he plays the lead in a lot of movies, but all that is really incidental to the fact that he's kind of awful. The Orioles are the same way. They're traditionally bad (as in the last few decades) but every once in a while they kick some butt (Chris Davis, Adam Jones) and every so often they find themselves as the lead actor in a movie you won't see unless you're departing from O'Hare after 10 p.m.

This year they're sort of okay, and that's good enough for first place in the suddenly diminished AL East. Why not double down on the best hand at the table? Well lots of reasons really, but let's ignore them and yes absolutely double down, Orioles! Their rotation sort of stinks and Kevin Gausmann alone probably won't get it done so how about adding someone else? Sure! And a starting catcher would be nice, now that Matt Wieters has taken his talents to the big operating table in South Beach. With the Yankees and Red Sox essentially dead in the water (though it appears neither knows this yet) and the Rays possibly about to sell and the Blue Jays doing some serious Blue Jaying, the time to strike is now, and it almost doesn't matter how great or lousy Baltimore's roster is.

Think about it this way: if every other movie released in 1988 was like Showgirls, Above the Law would have won the Oscar for Best Movie. Even so, there's no harm in picking up a better Key Grip and upgrading the catering. Almost anything is worth it if it lets them break a table over someone's head while they're not looking just one last time.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,975 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Putting this here, since Matthew Kory (one of the Analysts we interviewed) wrote it, and included the below passage about the O's...

Sports on Earth: Trade Deadline Secrets Revealed

http://www.sportsone...iff-lee#!bk3UE7

If you were to liken the Orioles to an actor, it might be Steven Seagal. He kicks a little butt from time to time and he plays the lead in a lot of movies, but all that is really incidental to the fact that he's kind of awful. The Orioles are the same way. They're traditionally bad (as in the last few decades) but every once in a while they kick some butt (Chris Davis, Adam Jones) and every so often they find themselves as the lead actor in a movie you won't see unless you're departing from O'Hare after 10 p.m.

This year they're sort of okay, and that's good enough for first place in the suddenly diminished AL East. Why not double down on the best hand at the table? Well lots of reasons really, but let's ignore them and yes absolutely double down, Orioles! Their rotation sort of stinks and Kevin Gausmann alone probably won't get it done so how about adding someone else? Sure! And a starting catcher would be nice, now that Matt Wieters has taken his talents to the big operating table in South Beach. With the Yankees and Red Sox essentially dead in the water (though it appears neither knows this yet) and the Rays possibly about to sell and the Blue Jays doing some serious Blue Jaying, the time to strike is now, and it almost doesn't matter how great or lousy Baltimore's roster is.

Think about it this way: if every other movie released in 1988 was like Showgirls, Above the Law would have won the Oscar for Best Movie. Even so, there's no harm in picking up a better Key Grip and upgrading the catering. Almost anything is worth it if it lets them break a table over someone's head while they're not looking just one last time.

It would probably help his argument if he had done enough research to know that Showgirls came out in 1995.

@DJ_McCann

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I meant to bring this up before (lot to comment in this discussion).

I think Matt Kory makes a relevant point re: Cruz.....the discussion (even the question here) is extension vs QO.

There's a reasonable chance that Cruz could accept a QO from the Orioles.

His first 2 months were torrid (APR-.956, MAY-1.135), but he's cooled significantly since then (JUN-.647, JUL-.765) and while I don't really view him as either extreme, 2 more months of a < .800 OPS isn't going to earn him what many considered reasonable at the end of May.  He's already 34 and we'll be talking about his 35-36-37 seasons on a multi-year deal.

In many ways, a trade works Cruz in that he can leverage his early success in a contract (something like 3/45) instead of letting the season play out and potentially damaging his value.

Of course he could get hot again and maintain some (extreme) value, but his history is more something of an .800+ OPS guy.

I agree with Kory that the QO is no lock and he could be worth more to the Orioles in trade value (Mariners!) than he will swinging the bat the rest of the year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners