#3202 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

I don't get some things going on with Tiger.

First of all, people have said that he should always contend at The Open.  I don't get that.  Cold weather is a real issue for him.  He talked about it today.  This one may actually be the hardest for him to win.  I am sure he will have his tourneys over there where he can contend but I doubt it will be with any kind of a consistency.

The new schedule hurts him.   It condenses everything and he isn't able to play as often because of it.  However, what I don't get is that he seems to be valuing the end of the year tourneys so much....the fed ex cup playoffs.  I don't understand that.

His whole goal has always been the majors.  This is the second major this year that he has gone a full month without playing competitive golf....both in between majors.  And one of the things he talks about is wanting to be in good shape to play all the tourneys at the end of the year.  Who cares? Do you want majors or a chance to win the FedEx Cup?

Maybe nothing is different for him but had he played in between the PGA and this tourney, maybe things are better.  Last year, Fowler skipped the first FedEx cup event and was still fine.  I think Tiger needs to re-evaluate things and perhaps skip that tourney and play in between the PGA and the Open.  He can't sit that long and expect to win.

He actually stands a chance to win at the Masters most years and these tourneys at the end of the year because of the weather and some frequency of playing.  Anything in between will be tough for him if he keeps up with this schedule.

@BSLRobShields

#3203 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

ESPN: Even Tiger knows it: He's not young anymore

https://www.espn.com...t-young-anymore

#3204 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:00 AM

I don't get some things going on with Tiger.

First of all, people have said that he should always contend at The Open. I don't get that. Cold weather is a real issue for him. He talked about it today. This one may actually be the hardest for him to win. I am sure he will have his tourneys over there where he can contend but I doubt it will be with any kind of a consistency.

The new schedule hurts him. It condenses everything and he isn't able to play as often because of it. However, what I don't get is that he seems to be valuing the end of the year tourneys so much....the fed ex cup playoffs. I don't understand that.

His whole goal has always been the majors. This is the second major this year that he has gone a full month without playing competitive golf....both in between majors. And one of the things he talks about is wanting to be in good shape to play all the tourneys at the end of the year. Who cares? Do you want majors or a chance to win the FedEx Cup?

Maybe nothing is different for him but had he played in between the PGA and this tourney, maybe things are better. Last year, Fowler skipped the first FedEx cup event and was still fine. I think Tiger needs to re-evaluate things and perhaps skip that tourney and play in between the PGA and the Open. He can't sit that long and expect to win.

He actually stands a chance to win at the Masters most years and these tourneys at the end of the year because of the weather and some frequency of playing. Anything in between will be tough for him if he keeps up with this schedule.

I think many like his chances at the British because you don’t need your driver, which at times was his Achilles heel in his many attempts to return to the game. He was T6 in The Open last year. Weather is a factor as we age.

Heard a commentator mention jet lag when talking about Tiger. Wonder if he showed up on Tuesday or Wednesday, when a lot of guys will play the Scottish Open on the Euro tour I think the week or two before to get acclimated. The John Deere Classic last week used to be a big draw, but now with the condensed schedule up against The Open, nobody played. Zach Johnson was easily the biggest name in the field.

If I’m not mistaken the Fed Ex cup is a 10 million dollar payday. That’ll have you thinking long term, but the guy has more money than we can probably fathom. Can’t fault him for wanting more though.

To me it seems like Tiger is just enjoying life. He’s probably not going to many tournaments because he wants to be with his kids more. When he is playing, and even not well, he’s out there with a smile, waving to the crowd, shaking hands, and gives a nice interview post round. It’s a side we hadn’t seen when he was killer Tiger 10-20 years ago.

Definitely in the U.S. Open, and in the first round of the British, he seemed to play pretty conservative, fine with making par and would hope to run into a some birdies. He doesn’t have that killer instinct he used to, and he can’t physically dominate against guys like Koepka, D.J., Rahm, guys that are bigger and stronger now, like Tiger used to be.

Part of me thinks he’s content with his life and career at this point, and 18 majors would be a bonus if it presents itself, but he isn’t actively pursing it. Being a dad is taking precedence to spending 2 weeks in Ireland to maybe do better in a tournament. The guy that won the John Deere last week, Frittelli, is currently in that 13 way tie at -3 just two shots back. No jet lag there. Different strokes for different folks.

I imagine he probably used to approach golf like it was his job. Now he approaches it like its fun. As if his body could fail him at any time, so he just wants to enjoy himself. And if he hits some great shots and makes some great putts, maybe he’ll be in contention for a win.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3205 PD24

PD24

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:04 PM

I think Tiger thinks if he can keep himself healthy for 10 more years, he will have 35-40 more majors to play. If he wins 1 every 2 years, he'll pass Jack. He'll contend for the Masters every year and the other majors depending on the weather and course. 

I agree, not playing btw Masters and PGA, and between US and British is not ideal, but I don't think that will always be his plan. think he is getting used to the new schedule and feeling it out and not trying to have another serious injury after playing so much last year and finally getting back.

I think next year's schedule will be in between last year and this year, closer to this year but not as extreme. 

@PeterDiLutis

#3206 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:04 PM

Yea, I would think he does just that Pete.

He can’t contend at the majors and not play for a month in between them.

He talked today about wanting to go home. He was in Thailand and then traveled over to NI to play this week.

It’s a lot of travel for his body and his age.

The Masters win took a lot out of him.
@BSLRobShields

#3207 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

This is incredible

https://twitter.com/...0906175493?s=21
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#3208 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

CBS Sports: British Open 2019: Nine takeaways entering Moving Day as Royal Portrush bears its teeth

https://www.cbssport...ears-its-teeth/

#3209 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

ESPN: Can anyone catch Shane Lowry at The Open?
https://www.espn.com...hane-lowry-open

#3210 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,770 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Great scene for Lowry.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic