Photo

BSL: Is Marlon Brown's roster spot safe?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JasonButt

JasonButt

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

Here's my latest post, on if Marlon Brown should worry about his roster spot at this time of the offseason: http://baltimorespor...ster-spot-safe/

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this
@JasonHButt @BMoreBeatdown

#2 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

I am not so sure you can say that Jacoby is the #3 wide receiver in this group.  As he has shown in the past, I don't know that he is a great fit for this offense due to his poor route running and suspect hands.  I think he will be used in certain packages as a deep threat but I think Marlon Brown is more valuable as a receiver.  Jacoby is obviously going to be our punt/kick return guy and that is where his value will be.

Since this offense is a run first, 2 TE set type of offense I don't know that the 3rd WR is going to get a lot of chances anyway, but I can certainly see Brown in a lot of red zone packages along with Steve Smith, Pitta, Daniels or Gillmore, and Juice.  I think in the red zone packages Torrey Smith is the odd man out because of his lack of route running.  Brown has the size advantage and SSmith has the route running, hands and strength advantage.

Bottom line is I do think Brown's role may be reduced a bit, but I think anyone who is slotted as the 3rd wideout will have a reduced role because of the multitude of 2 TE sets that Kubiak likes to use.  I think Brown is safe and I also think the undrafted rookie Jeremy Butler may make the team.  Here is my WR crew barring injury:

Torrey Smith

Steve Smith

Marlon Brown

Jacoby Jones

Michael Campanaro

Jeremy Butler

I don't see Williams or Thompson making this team, again, barring injury.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

He'll def see his role reduced. I've been saying that since before we signed Smith.

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's up to him.

He had a good year last year...the team likes him.

But he has to continue to progress and show that he deserves the snaps.
@BSLRobShields

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:49 PM

If the Ravens had drafted a WR early, like they wanted to do, then I think you could probably ponder Browns roster spot.

Now, he would have to play himself off the 53 man. He's  going to be a situational guy though. Ravens will go with a lot of 2 wide, 2 TE sets. When they go 3 wide, I think Jones will get most of the snaps between the 20s. As mentioned above, I agree that I see Brown in a redzone role.  He'll have to earn a bigger role than that, unless or until there is an injury.

The other thing he'll have to do is show he can play STs as the 4th WR. Im not sure how much he played there last year after he became the #2 WR.

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

No chance he is cut.
@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

I wouldn't say he is a lock, especially if the Ravens only carry 5 WRs, but I would say there is a very very small chance he doesn't make it onto the 53. He will have to play really badly throughout TC in addition to one of these other WRs like Butler, Williams, or Thompson really shining.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being #5 on the depth chart though.

@gabefergy

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

He's a lock.
  • BSLRobShields likes this

#9 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

He's as cheap as possible and led the team in TDs last year. I'm with Mack and SG, it's absurd to think there is any chance we would cut him. He'd have to pull an Aaron Hernandez.
  • BSLRobShields likes this

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

I don't think we'll cut him. If hes bad in TC, it wouldn't shock me if he ended up with an IR injury.

Again, if we had drafted a WR early like we wanted, the chances would be immensely higher.  He's behind Smith and Smith for sure on the depth chart. He's behind Jones for now as well. Remember, Jones knows the Kubiak system very well.

Again, we'll rarely go with 4 WR sets. The 3 WR %  will be cut down from last year as well. He's starting the year  as a situational WR. That means he'll have to show he can play ST.

Again, outight cut is highly unlikely. Im not saying impossible,  lets say 5% or so that could happen. An IR designation raises the odds of not breaking camp on the 53 man roster if he is struggling and proves to not be able to play ST.

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I think some are really underrating Brown.
@BSLRobShields

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

I think some really overrate Brown.

He took advantage of a good opportunity last year. He got the #2 spot by default after Jacoby went down. He ended up playing in an offense that couldn't run the ball so Joe threw 650 times. He isn't throwing that many passes again.

He caught 49 balls and  6 TDs. Good for him. He also averaged only 10 YPC. That's not good. He wasn't very good playing on the outside. Struggled with route running and separation. Now, yes, he was a rookie, he has upside, but hes not turning into a legit #2 WR like some people seem to think. Or for that matter, what some people probably already think he is now.

Didn't someone here breakdown his rookie year on film awhile ago. It wasn't particularly pretty.

Listen, I like Brown. I do. I was happy to see him make some big catches last year and I understand he has some more upside.  He can definitely carve out a role in this league for a number of years, I just realize its as a slot, redzone target. 500-600yrds and 6-8 TDS. Basically statistically what he was this past year, but more efficient.

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

There is a reason why, despite Browns year last year, the Ravens brought in Steve SMith, brought back Jacoby Jones, and admitted both predraft and post draft they ideally would have drafted a WR early this year.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

I don't see anyone overrating brown...I haven't seen anyone talk about him as a #2 or anything like that.

However, he was a solid contributor last year, as an UDFA. He was a highly touted HS player who dealt with injury issues in college. He was a third round talent that didn't get drafted because of those injuries. If we had drafted him in R3 and he put up those numbers, no doubt he would be more hyped....zero doubt people are looking at how we obtained him and assuming he isn't that good.

Put it this way....he was better at this stage of his career than Torrie was....the question is, will he continue to get better, like TS did?
@BSLRobShields

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

It's Torrey.

And, while I like Brown and think he's a solid role player, particularly in the Red Zone, and a stone lock to make the team, he's not as good as Torrey was after his first season.

Torrey's first year he 50 catches, 841 yards (16.8 average), and 7 TDs.  Plus 4 catches, 92 yards, and a TD in two playoff games that year.  Brown has 49 catches for 524 yards (10.7 average) and 7 TDs. 

I do think Brown could possibly be a bit more explosive as he gets another year recovered from his knee injury, but he's definitely a possession type receiver and not someone who can stretch the field like Torrey can.

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Brown is a better route runner and has better hands than Smith did. 

Would agree he doesn't have the explosion Smith did but that doesn't make one a better WR.

@BSLRobShields

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

Torrey was better as rookie. Brown benefited from a lot of targets and again wasn't that efficient.

Brown may hve run more routes than Torrey, but thats not necessarily on rookie Torrey,and the routes he did run he was much better and efficient at running. Torrey was effective as a rookie. He served his role very well. No one gave opponent gave a second thought to gameplanning for Brown last year.

#18 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Brown had less targets his rookie year than T Smith did..both overall and on a per game basis.

@BSLRobShields

#19 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,445 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

Would agree he doesn't have the explosion Smith did but that doesn't make one a better WR.

It's a fairly big part of the equation, though.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Maybe not, but whatever it takes to make one a better WR, Torrey is the better WR, and was if you're just comparing them after their respective rookie campaigns as well, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners