#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

http://baltimorespor...haws-ups-downs/

Courtney Upshaw was solid as a rookie, but left a lot to be desired in 2013. What are your expectations for him 2014? 

Dumervil cut slightly into Upshaw's playing time last year, and if he doesn't improve, Pernell McPhee could cut into a large chunk of his PT. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,117 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

Agree that Dumervil ate into Upshaw's snaps. I had actually saw it noted a couple of weeks ago that Upshaw's snaps reduced from 886 as a rookie to 650 last year.

A couple of weeks ago, Upshaw was quoted as saying he was doing a lot of cardio. Wanted to loose additional weight. Got to camp last year at 295 lbs, before getting to his playing weight of 272. Wants to enter camp at that playing weight.

Drafted to stop the run, wants to be better in coverage. 

Interesting player, and a big year for him coming I would think.

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

Agree that Dumervil ate into Upshaw's snaps. I had actually saw it noted a couple of weeks ago that Upshaw's snaps reduced from 886 as a rookie to 650 last year.

A couple of weeks ago, Upshaw was quoted as saying he was doing a lot of cardio. Wanted to loose additional weight. Got to camp last year at 295 lbs, before getting to his playing weight of 272. Wants to enter camp at that playing weight.

Drafted to stop the run, wants to be better in coverage. 

Interesting player, and a big year for him coming I would think.

I got my numbers from PFF, didnt take into account special team snaps I guess.if he shows up in shape that would be a great start for him.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Maybe my perception is off, but I've always thought that Upshaw was built like a lineman, not a linebacker. He's not quick enough to play the pass and doesn't have the speed nor moves to rush the passer. He is built to hold the edge, and I fear Ozzie's choosing him was -and is showing to be- a poor choice. I hope Upshaw proves me wrong this year.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

Maybe my perception is off, but I've always thought that Upshaw was built like a lineman, not a linebacker. He's not quick enough to play the pass and doesn't have the speed nor moves to rush the passer. He is built to hold the edge, and I fear Ozzie's choosing him was -and is showing to be- a poor choice. I hope Upshaw proves me wrong this year.

I think your right about his build. I was a little shocked when they wanted to try him at middle linebacker because of his coverage and run stopping skills. Obviously that never came to be. He's a little heavy for that. The plan is likely for Upshaw and Dumervil to combine to be a super run stopping, pass rushing tandem, because both can be great at that one thing. It's a matter of guessing right when it comes to putting one or the other in on those in between downs. 1st and 10, 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3, etc...

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

I think your right about his build. I was a little shocked when they wanted to try him at middle linebacker because of his coverage and run stopping skills. Obviously that never came to be. He's a little heavy for that. The plan is likely for Upshaw and Dumervil to combine to be a super run stopping, pass rushing tandem, because both can be great at that one thing. It's a matter of guessing right when it comes to putting one or the other in on those in between downs. 1st and 10, 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3, etc...

I don't think they ever wanted to make him an ILB. Wasn't that just fan speculation?

Either way, he seems like a bust at this point. He needs to step up in a big way this year or he could be fighting for a roster spot.
@gabefergy

#7 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Reporting in shape was an issue last season.

This off-season Harbs is much happier with him condition wise though Upshaw has said he'd like to drop a few more pounds. 

If they are going to continue the platoon with Elvis then he should make more impact plays against the run. He's yet another player that needs to step up his play in 2014.

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:32 AM

I don't think they ever wanted to make him an ILB. Wasn't that just fan speculation?
Either way, he seems like a bust at this point. He needs to step up in a big way this year or he could be fighting for a roster spot.

He has had 2 years in the nfl...one was good, one was bad. How does that make him a bust?
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:58 PM

He has had 2 years in the nfl...one was good, one was bad. How does that make him a bust?

Because he was a very high pick playing OLB and he can't rush the passer, not even glimpses of potential as an edge-rusher. Last year he wasn't even good in run defense. He's dealt with weight issues his entire career. Yeah, he is approaching bust-ville.

@gabefergy

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Because he was a very high pick playing OLB and he can't rush the passer, not even glimpses of potential as an edge-rusher. Last year he wasn't even good in run defense. He's dealt with weight issues his entire career. Yeah, he is approaching bust-ville.

He wasn't drafted as a guy to expect to be able to rush the passer. You would hope he would improve but that was never a strength.

He was drafted as a guy to stop the run and set the edge...he did that in first year...didn't last year.

He isn't close to being a bust.
@BSLRobShields

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

I'm not sure I'd label his rookie year as good.

Still , it's a early to make any definitive conclusions.

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

I'm not sure I'd label his rookie year as good.
Still , it's a early to make any definitive conclusions.

He was good at doing what we hoped he would do...and he did it as a rookie.

That's a good year.
@BSLRobShields

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

He wasn't drafted to just be a run stopping/ edge setting OLB. They definitely hoped and expected pass rush ability at that position from a top 40 pick.

Now, he ended up getting knocked down the.depth chart last year from.the beginning once Dumervill was signed. In some ways that was unfair, and it may have contributed to a lack of motivation and his resulting fitness level.

The bottom line is you ideally want 3 down players in your front 7, even though we know there will always be some rotating. Hopefully, Upshaw can bring the edge setting ability we saw his rookie year, but he's not going to be a complete OLB.

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

He did play more snaps than Dumervil. I'm sure Denver, and now Baltimore wishes Doom would be a complete LB as well, but he's gotten by just fine as a one dimensional guy. When it's Suggs and Upshaw you have two edge setters and one pass rusher. When you have Suggs and Dumervil you have one edge setter and two pass rushers. 

Looks to me like ultimately the burden is on Suggs to not disappear during games or else it turns into zero pass rusher or zero edge setter on the field at a given time. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

He wasn't drafted as a guy to expect to be able to rush the passer. You would hope he would improve but that was never a strength.

He was drafted as a guy to stop the run and set the edge...he did that in first year...didn't last year.

He isn't close to being a bust.

First of all it's complete non-sense to say he wasn't drafted to rush the passer. That's one of the dumbest things I have heard in some time. The primary role of the 3-4 OLB is to russ the passer, if the Ravens didn't think he could do that, they would have never drafted him 35th overall. He's been a complete disappointment in that department.

It's ridiculous to suggest the Ravens would use their highest draft pick to select a player that is one-dimensional.

He was good as a rookie against the run. Then he got fat, and was pretty terrible last season at everything. To suggest he's been anything but a major disappointment is extremely optimistic. It's only 2 years, so technically it's too early to label him as a bust, but he has a lot to do this year to not get that label.

@gabefergy

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

First of all it's complete non-sense to say he wasn't drafted to rush the passer. That's one of the dumbest things I have heard in some time. The primary role of the 3-4 OLB is to russ the passer, if the Ravens didn't think he could do that, they would have never drafted him 35th overall. He's been a complete disappointment in that department.

It's ridiculous to suggest the Ravens would use their highest draft pick to select a player that is one-dimensional.

He was good as a rookie against the run. Then he got fat, and was pretty terrible last season at everything. To suggest he's been anything but a major disappointment is extremely optimistic. It's only 2 years, so technically it's too early to label him as a bust, but he has a lot to do this year to not get that label.

The Ravens just lost JJ..a guy who was excellent at setting the edge and playing the run.

They mentioned that when they drafted Upshaw...they obviously drafted him with that thought.

Now, I'm sure they felt and hoped he would get better at rushing the passer and he still may...but the primary reason they drafted him was because of his ability to stop the run and set the edge.
@BSLRobShields

#17 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

The Ravens just lost JJ..a guy who was excellent at setting the edge and playing the run.

They mentioned that when they drafted Upshaw...they obviously drafted him with that thought.

Now, I'm sure they felt and hoped he would get better at rushing the passer and he still may...but the primary reason they drafted him was because of his ability to stop the run and set the edge.

I'm not buying it. Just because they liked the way Upshaw could set the edge, doesn't mean that's the primary reason they drafted him. What a laughable notion. 

If that's what the FO is doing we have far bigger issues on our hands than one player who has not performed.

@gabefergy

#18 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Got to go with Rob here I remember specifically they drafted him to replace JJ and the whole setting the edge was the more important feature and he could be groomed to rush the passer as a hopegul second feature.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

I'm not buying it. Just because they liked the way Upshaw could set the edge, doesn't mean that's the primary reason they drafted him. What a laughable notion.

If that's what the FO is doing we have far bigger issues on our hands than one player who has not performed.

The laughable notion is how much you think you know about football.

I don't see what the issue is that we drafted a player because they can excel at multiple areas on defense. He wasn't a top 10 pick...he was a guy that DROPPED in the draft, likely because the idea of getting to the passer wasn't his strong suit.

The Ravens had just lost JJ who was very good at what they feel CU is very good at. I'm not sure what's so difficult here.
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Got to go with Rob here I remember specifically they drafted him to replace JJ and the whole setting the edge was the more important feature and he could be groomed to rush the passer as a hopegul second feature.

Of course that's what was said...now, if he never develops into any kind of a pass rusher, he may not quite live up to what they hoped he would be but if he is a contributing player, like he was in his rookie year, calling him a bust would be moronic.

As Jason butt pointed out tonight, they even played in inside on the line in his rookie year....that's because of his ability to stop the run..at least that year.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners