Photo

BSL: Does Ed Reed have anything left to give?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

http://baltimorespor...hing-left-give/

Ed Reed says he's been preparing to play this year. He knows teams have a need at safety and it would have to be the right fit for him to play. It doesn't take a genius to read between the lines to figure out which team he might be alluding to. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'd be very surprised if they brought Reed back.

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

I'd like to bring him back on a one day contract.

• DuffMan and BSLMikeRandall like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

At the vet minimum how would Reed as nickel/dime back work?

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#5 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,864 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:14 PM

Is there room on the roster for him to teach the young guys in the secondary how to play? I'm guessing no.
@BSLRobShields

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

At the vet minimum how would Reed as nickel/dime back work?

Nickle, I dont think he would be any good in. He would have to rely on coverage skills to succeed, which hes starting to lack. Big TEs or quick slot guys would be mismatches IMO.

Dime, as in last line of defense where he can play centerfield, he can probably still do. He hasnt lost his hands. But is vet minimum worth him playing 10-20 snaps a game? Will he be upset about not being the starter and stir up drama?

Part of me would say, offer him a one year deal with no guaranteed money. See how he operates in camp and pre-season and if he still has it. If he doesnt have it, it would look bad to cut him, but financially there's no set back, then you know for sure. The caveat though is he wont attend training camp and wants teams to take him at his word that he can play. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. I dont want to do an experiment in games that count to find out he's not cut out for football anymore.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

Nickle, I dont think he would be any good in. He would have to rely on coverage skills to succeed, which hes starting to lack. Big TEs or quick slot guys would be mismatches IMO. Dime, as in last line of defense where he can play centerfield, he can probably still do. He hasnt lost his hands. But is vet minimum worth him playing 10-20 snaps a game? Will he be upset about not being the starter and stir up drama? Part of me would say, offer him a one year deal with no guaranteed money. See how he operates in camp and pre-season and if he still has it. If he doesnt have it, it would look bad to cut him, but financially there's no set back, then you know for sure. The caveat though is he wont attend training camp and wants teams to take him at his word that he can play. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. I dont want to do an experiment in games that count to find out he's not cut out for football anymore.

I forgot he does not want to go to camp. Forget that.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#8 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Is there room on the roster for him to teach the young guys in the secondary how to play? I'm guessing no.

I wouldnt think so. They might have to keep 7 instead of the usual 6 WRs if they keep everyone they want there. If you drop a safety to sign Reed that's a ST player they'll lose, and Reed wont be a gunner. Hes a "fair catcher" if anything.
@BSLMikeRandall

#9 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Reed's tackling during his last year here left a lot to be desired, I think that's the issue more than anything.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Honestly, I would probably sign him cheaply for a year. Let him break Brooks in slowly.

There is no doubt, he can teach our 2 young safeties some things. He was an extremely high IQ player, who was willing to teach.

That said, we know he and Harbs didn't have the greatest relationship. As Miller would say, he also had some crazy in him.

That ship has sailed. CB is obviously the higher priority right now anyway.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,027 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Punt returner.

@DJ_McCann

#12 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Punt returner.

You enjoy watching fans have heart attacks.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,027 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

You enjoy watching fans have heart attacks.

Definitely a lateral move for him at this point in his career.

(By the way, its more like I enjoy giving MYSELF heart attacks. Get that man some goddamned Stick-um.)

• Dupin likes this
@DJ_McCann

#14 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

I'm not really interested, although FS is still a little worrisome. I just don't think he has much left.
@gabefergy

#15 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I forgot he does not want to go to camp. Forget that.

He's not dumb ..his days of not going to training camp are over. If he truly wants to play he will show up wherever.

#16 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:47 AM

As a coach yes.

As a player - stick the fork in him.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,322 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

As a coach yes.

As a player - stick the fork in him.

How awesome would it be to have Ray Lewis coaching the LBs and Ed Reed coaching the secondary one day.

@BSLMikeRandall

#18 KevinVanValkenburg ‏

KevinVanValkenburg ‏
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

How awesome would it be to have Ray Lewis coaching the LBs and Ed Reed coaching the secondary one day.

Probably less awesome than you'd think, to be honest. All-time greats rarely make great coaches, in part because it's hard to explain things to mortals that you've always been able to do instinctually. Reed could be a great high school or college coach, and I believe that's the plan someday. I don't think you'll ever see Ray on the sideline coaching for any extended period of time. I just don't believe the has the temperament for it. The linebackers coach of an NFL team has to work ridiculously long hours for zero glory and, comparatively, not great pay. Working in television is a much better gig.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,027 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Probably less awesome than you'd think, to be honest. All-time greats rarely make great coaches, in part because it's hard to explain things to mortals that you've always been able to do instinctually. Reed could be a great high school or college coach, and I believe that's the plan someday. I don't think you'll ever see Ray on the sideline coaching for any extended period of time. I just don't believe the has the temperament for it. The linebackers coach of an NFL team has to work ridiculously long hours for zero glory and, comparatively, not great pay. Working in television is a much better gig.  

I can definitely see Lewis considering a head coaching job at a major-college or NFL team. Positional coach...not so much.

@DJ_McCann

#20 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm on record as wanting him back last year and thinking that he would have helped a lot at the FS position last year which was a huge hole.

Given we needed help there and when he got cut from Houston we didn't sign him, I don't really see him coming to Baltimore at all though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners