#1 NadeemK

NadeemK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

BSL: All-22: A look at Mosley as a 3-4 MLB
http://baltimorespor...ebacker-ravens/

First article for BSL.... Wrote it up while in Australia.

IMG_2038.JPG

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, MattJergensen and 1 other like this

#2 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

http://baltimorespor...ebacker-ravens/

First article for BSL.... Wrote it up while in Australia.

IMG_2038.JPG

Well done. Welcome to the site.

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,304 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Nice work Nadeem... glad to have you as a part of BSL... pic of the kangaroo also cool!

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

Nice piece here. I hope the strength is all he needs to be successful, and if he has a so-so rookie year that the fans don't pile on him. Ray Lewis was a guy that was also undersized and needed to bulk up at one point too. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,117 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

Nice piece here. I hope the strength is all he needs to be successful, and if he has a so-so rookie year that the fans don't pile on him. Ray Lewis was a guy that was also undersized and needed to bulk up at one point too. 

I'm not as familiar with rookie performances on the defensive side. Do MLBs generally need time to develop like WRs do on offense?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm not as familiar with rookie performances on the defensive side. Do MLBs generally need time to develop like WRs do on offense?

I would think for any position there is transition period. For rookies, they train a few months for the combine and not necessarily a season. Plus adding four or so more games to what they are used to playing through.

Going into year two they will have been through a full season, are training properly, etc...
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Generally no. I would equate LBs to RB more-so than WR. You can generally just come in and play. Recent examples are Luke Kuechly, Kiko Alonso, Alec Ogletree etc. They might not be stars immediately and you will certainly see some mistakes, but it's not like a WR that has to come in and learn an entire playbook with hundreds of route combinations.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@gabefergy

#8 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Add Burfict to your list Gabe. Still mad we let him go.

ps this is not an after the fact thing, many of us were clamoring for him.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,813 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hopefully when he adds bulk, his speed doesn't hurt his range so much and he becomes more of a liability in coverage.

There is a fine line there...just not sure where that line is, although I would think it's different for everyone.

For example, a guy like Adam Jones has clearly lost speed/range since he bulked up and it has unquestionably hurt his defense.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

I have no problem if he can only carry 240ish without sacrificing his speed and agility. As much as this has become a passing league, and how much offenses are trying to use speed on offense, Id rather have my ILB be a little light and giving up  extra yards to a RB who can "run him over" vs giving up 10-15 yard passes to RBs out of the backfield or TEs down the middle of the field.

Im one that believes that the extra weight or strength isn't a huge factor is block shedding. That's more technique.

#11 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

I don't getting a guy up to 255-260 at the position is that important anymore with the emphasis on the passing game.  Ideally we'd have a complementary player in the 3-4 base set, since Mosley, Brown, and even Smith are players in the same vein, but with as much nickel as they run it's probably not a big deal.  

I still think a 4-3 base would be beneficial to get all 3 of those LBs on the the field at the same time.  Ngata is a good fit as a 1-tech, Jernigan fits better as a 3-tech/1-tech in that scheme, and Dumervil and Suggs are quite capable of being DEs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners