Photo

BSL: Alabama football stereotypes: Real or Myth?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,137 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

http://baltimorespor...ypes-real-myth/

Does Nick Saban really send damaged goods to the NFL on a routine basis?

Does Ozzie Newsome go out of his way to draft Alabama guys? Does he draft more than anyone else?

• BSLChrisStoner and Icterus galbula like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

It seems like an extremely biased point of view you are taking, but I do think it's a little overblown that Bama players are more of a risk. Players bust coming from every school, it's not something unique to Bama.

The main concern I have is that most players coming out of Bama don't meet expectations. Perhaps they are overdrafted because playing on such a strong collegiate squad inflates their value.

Out of all of those players listed only Julio Jones and Marcel Dareus have really met expectations considering where they were draft, and Julio has already missed a lot of games due to injury.  Most are at best role players, and the jury is still out on some. 

The other major concern is the seeming increased risk of injury. A lot of those players on that list have had major or even career ending injuries. There are multiple reports of these guys having to play through injuries in college and often needing several surgeries at a very young age.

@gabefergy

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,991 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

I don't like limiting the "Does Newsome prefer 'Bama guys?" question to the Saben era. He didn't get that reputation recently.

Since 1996 (and not counting this draft, though last night's players are in the search) 77 Alabama players have been drafted into the NFL.

Baltimore: 6
Atlanta: 4
Kansas City: 4
New Orleans: 4
San Francisco: 4
Tampa Bay: 4
Arizona: 3
Denver: 3
Detroit: 3
Houston: 3
New England: 3
Seattle: 3
Carolina: 2
Cincinnati: 2
Cleveland: 2
Dallas: 2
Green Bay: 2
Miami: 2
NY Giants: 2
NY Jets: 2
Tennessee: 2
Philadelphia: 2
San Diego: 2
St. Louis: 2
Buffalo: 1
Chicago: 1
Houston: 1
Indianapolis: 1
Jacksonville: 1
Minnesota: 1
Oakland: 1
Pittsburgh: 1
Washington: 1

So since the Ravens arrived, with Ozzie in charge the whole time, the Ravens have selected more players out of Alabama in the draft than other teams.

• BSLChrisStoner, Icterus galbula and BSLMikeRandall like this
@DJ_McCann

#4 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Good post DJ. My question would be, how many total picks has each team had? Ozzie is at the top of the heap with comp picks. So that would effect the overall ratio somewhat.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,991 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:09 PM

Good post DJ. My question would be, how many total picks has each team had? Ozzie is at the top of the heap with comp picks. So that would effect the overall ratio somewhat.

I don't feel like going down the whole list, but of the teams with at least four Bama picks:

Baltimore: 144 picks (all totals since 1996)

Atlanta: 140

Kansas City: 140

New Orleans: 118

NY Giants: 134

Tampa Bay: 146

New Orleans is the one real outlier, but looking at their drafts over the years they appear to trade a lot of picks (including infamously in 1999 for Ricky Williams). I don't know how much that affects any preference they may actually have.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners