#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,306 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

http://baltimorespor...ens-2009-draft/

Most will grade the draft immediately after it ends. I'll wait five years and give a fair assessment. 

Here's my grade. Whats yours?

• MattJergensen likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,651 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

That's a very fair assessment, I'd probably grade it the same.  I remember the disappointment over Oher and Kruger, but I forgot they whiffed on the back end.

Not to play the what if game, but how nice would that have been to get Matthews instead of Oher?  That would have paired him with Suggs when Suggs was more in his prime for a few years, that would've been an incredibly deadly OLB duo.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

I can't give it lower than a straight C.

Oher while not being special was at least an average starter over 5 years. And he was healthy all those years.

Kruger took awhile to develop and didn't make an impact til his last year and a half but he was important to the SB run.

He also netted us a high comp pick this year( Is he the one who got us the 3rd rounder).

Webb of course was a PRo Bowl caliber CB when healthy.

Yeah, nothing after that. But first 3 rounds, where you expect starters and contributers we got it.

C+ or maybe even B- for me.

#4 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'm not really sure an A - F scale is a good way to grade drafts either.  It's never a bell curve.  And generally a quarter to a third of guys taken in the first round are going to be busts.  I think people are tougher on the higher end of the grades than they potentially should be.

What if you went back through and rated every player in the the first round and adjusted for draft position so more points for being a lower pick but a better player.

A Clay Matthews (26),  Harvin (20), Matthew Stafford (1), Brian Cushing (15),

B Eugene Monroe (8), BJ Raji (9), Crabtree (10), Orakpo (13), Maclin (19), Vontae Davis (25), Oher (23),  Eric Wood (28)

C Moreno (12), Nicks (29), Jenkins (14),  Hood (32)

D Tyson Jackson (3), Mark Sanchez (5), Andre Smith (6), Freeman (17), Peria Jerry (24), Donald Brown (27)

F - Aaron Curry (4), Jason Smith (2), Heyward Bey (7), Maybin (11), English (16), Ayers (18), Britt (30), Wells (31)

A's:  I think Stafford/Cushing/Harvin could be in any order.  I put Harvin first for value and I put Cushing behind Stafford due to positional scarcity.

B's:  Monroe is high, more because he's a Raven now.  If he had resigned long-term with Jacksonville I'd probably have him behind Orakpo.  I think Crabtree is an arguable A, but he's just missed so much darn time.  Maclin could be an A if he bounces back from injury.  There's probably an argument for Davis to be higher too, given how late in the draft he was picked.  I think anyone after Orakpo could be a C.  

C's:  These all seemed fair to me.  Hood might be higher because of his draft position.  But frankly, these guys could be in any order for injuries or just general averageness.

D's:  Sanchez/Freeman could be argued as a C as they both had winning seasons, but clearly were busts long term.  Jackson is severely degraded because he was #3.  I think the one guy in this group that could be better if he has another year like last year was Donald Brown who had a decent year with Indi.

F's:  The only argument in here if you ask me is if Britt is an F or a D.  

Right off the bat though you've got 7 or 8 guys that are clear F's.  And Sancehz, Freeman, Smith all knock on that door as borderline if you ask me.  

"Average" in the NFL should probably be more like a B just because of the rate of failure in general.

#5 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Also, everyone drafted between Davon Drew and Jason Phillips sucked.  Between Davon Drew to Peerman there was Morstead, Chris Clemons and Zack Miller as names I recognized as viable starters in the league at some point.  After Peerman, Matt Slauson, Brandon Myers, Bernard Scott, Ogbyanna, Captain Munnerlynn, Julian Edelman, LaRod Stephens Howling were the only names I recognized.  That's not a whole lot of chances to hit.

There were some names taken between Webb and Phillips you might know though.  Jared Cook, Jerraud Powers, Keenan Lewis, Henry Melton, Mike Thomas, Brian Hartline, TJ Lang, Mike Goodson, Glove Quin, Austin Collie, Andre Brown, Greg Toler.  So it seems like right around the 4th round, value really seemed to vanish from this draft, just for average players that at some point may have started in their careers.

The bottom line after looking back through the draft as a whole...it kind of sucked.  Really bad.  Probowls aren't the end all or be all of anything, but I think they are a good place to look in general to find out how much talent was in a draft.  Comparatively in 2009/2010/2011, 2009 was a stinker of a draft.

Probowlers in the first round:  6/16/13

Total prowbowlers:  15/30/20 (9 more vs 14 more, so a bit closer)

Of course the number decreases as the chances aren't there for some players.  But the point is still there.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,306 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

"Average" in the NFL should probably be more like a B just because of the rate of failure in general.

Certainly a good point.
@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Oher was a good pick even if he did struggle. He wasn't a top 10 pick or anything.

When you can come away with 3 key contributors, especially one that is as good as Webb, that's a very solid draft..and, we will see what happens with the Kruger comp pick and if we end up with a pick from losing Oher.
@BSLRobShields

#8 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

It's a C for me ...

Oher was by all accounts a disappointment. Webb has been a good pick despite the knee injuries. Kruger was a late bloomer but I refuse to add the comp pick to increase the grade.

#9 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

It's a C for me ...

Oher was by all accounts a disappointment. Webb has been a good pick despite the knee injuries. Kruger was a late bloomer but I refuse to add the comp pick to increase the grade.

Like I said, go back and look at that draft.  It was miserable.  Yes, as a fan of this team in particular it's easy to say, that guy was a disappointment to me because he didn't perform.

But the only HOF talent in that year's draft class is probably Clay Matthews.  Just look at my post about the first round (long I know, sorry...).  LeSean McCoy might have a chance with Chip Kelly at the helm.  And Stafford will only get consideration if he starts winning playoff games.

Now look at 2010 in terms of guys that have a shot at the HOF.  Suh, Okung, E. Thomas, D. Thomas, Gronk (2), Bowman (3), J. Graham (3).  Heck Gronk/Bowman/Graham probably knock on the door of the first round in 2009.  Berry, Greg Hardy, Atkins, Verner.

I mean what are we grading this against?  If it's against 2010's draft class sure.  2009, I'm leaning more and more towards B the more I actually look at the complete and utter lack of talent in that year's draft.

You want to talk about a crappy draft, the Ravens missed badly in 2010.  That's a C-/D+ draft.  While right around 23 before their pick was the end of the elite talent, there was a lot of starter level quality taken after Kindle/Cody.  Jones turning a 5th rounder probably into a 3rd rounder gives it a boost, but Ravens missed pretty badly in that draft.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

If you get a pro bowler and a few other contributors out of a draft, that's a good draft.

Not sure I see justification for a C.
@BSLRobShields

#11 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Grade should be higher a lot of first rounders flopped that draft.  If put in context that draft was a B or B-.

I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners