• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

A 3 down LBer is so rare nowadays.

That's the big deal about him.

But you worry about the health.

That being said, if there was no trade down available(highly likely), then this basically had to be the pick.

If Zenitz is right, they would have been reaching for Dix there...they obviously valued Mosley higher. My guess is they wanted Martin.
@BSLRobShields

#22 NadeemK

NadeemK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

here is a drs assessment on mosley:

http://www.nationalf...-NFL-Draft.html

C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: Was a possible top-ten pick, but Mosley’s biggest hurdle may be his injury history. Nothing in particular stands out, but he has numerous shoulder, elbow and hip injuries.

Sometimes cumulative injury serves to lower a player’s medical grade and this is likely the case here. Mosley should still be selected during the first round, but since some teams have downgraded him, he is unlikely to go as early in the round as originally postulated.

#23 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Not going to happen. And there is plenty of room for 3 ILBs when two have to be on the field at one time in the 3-4. Depth, Smith sucks in run defense, literally thee worst in the league. They'll make it work.

Why is it not going to happen? There is no other scenario that can justify this pick.
  • Dupin likes this
@gabefergy

#24 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Why is it not going to happen? There is no other scenario that can justify this pick.

Get out of the dumper Gabe...I know from posting with you that your not happy ...but Mosley is a Raven. They will stay at the 3-4 and rotate a Smith on running downs for sure,... Moseley starts and the rotate Smith and Brown

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Of course there is....He is the BPA, there is no trade there and they see it as a long term need.

All of those things are true IMO.
@BSLRobShields

#26 NadeemK

NadeemK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

@RavensInsider: cj mosley 'I'm 100 pct healthy no red flags at the combine I'm ready to play'
5/8/14, 9:14 PM

• JohnnyK27 likes this

#27 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

Not going to happen. And there is plenty of room for 3 ILBs when two have to be on the field at one time in the 3-4. Depth, Smith sucks in run defense, literally thee worst in the league. They'll make it work.

Ok. I'll eat my hat if the Ravens switch to a 4-3 with Mosely Brown and Smith as LBs. Explain how it doesnt work in the 3-4 when the Ravens now only have 3 real ILBs on the team. Are you anointing the starting job to Mosely right away? Wont he have to earn it?
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Get out of the dumper Gabe...I know from posting with you that your not happy ...but Mosley is a Raven. They will stay at the 3-4 and rotate a Smith on running downs for sure,... Moseley starts and the rotate Smith and Brown

Or you can get your best players on the field at the same time. Why do you think the Ravens are married to the 3-4. Its not like the DL is stacked or anything.
@gabefergy

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

So did that coin toss cost us Zach Martin?????

#30 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

Or you can get your best players on the field at the same time. Why do you think the Ravens are married to the 3-4. Its not like the DL is stacked or anything.

I would be fine if they switched to a 4-3...but they don't have to do it to justify this pick.
@BSLRobShields

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

So did that coin toss cost us Zach Martin?????

Most assuredly. I definitely think he is the pick for us.
  • MattJergensen likes this
@BSLRobShields

#32 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Wow James already?  That's surprising.

And this is why the Mosely pick isn't terrible.

You will now see some reaches...the Ravens said screw it...we will get the BPA and Mosely was that player.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@BSLRobShields

#33 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

Ok. I'll eat my hat if the Ravens switch to a 4-3 with Mosely Brown and Smith as LBs. Explain how it doesnt work in the 3-4 when the Ravens now only have 3 real ILBs on the team. Are you anointing the starting job to Mosely right away? Wont he have to earn it?

Brown is perfect for a Will, Mosley the Mike, and Smith the SAM. That makes sense. Rotating ILBs that are all best suited to play coverage does not. Look at the DL. They can easily play in an even front.
@gabefergy

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Brown is perfect for a Will, Mosley the Mike, and Smith the SAM. That makes sense. Rotating ILBs that are all best suited to play coverage does not. Look at the DL. They can easily play in an even front.

Mosley plays the run well.
@BSLRobShields

#35 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

So on running downs, and late in games when teams are trying to ice it, Smith is the best player on the field? Absolutely not. I have to think that was the motivation for this pick. Too many losses when the defense couldnt stop a run in the 4th quarter.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

You will now see some reaches...the Ravens said screw it...we will get the BPA and Mosely was that player.

There were plenty of other options that wouldn't have been reaches.

I hope the Saints traded up to take Dix, just because I thought it was stupid for them to sign the one guy after drafting that other guy and just because.

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Only if he can play.

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

They took Mosley over Dix and Pryor. Two guys at positions we need and players often mocked to us.

Tells me they had Mosley high enough as BP A over both.

#39 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

My only question is who is our 3-tech?  Ngata would be a phenomenal 1-tech.

#40 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

I would be fine if they switched to a 4-3...but they don't have to do it to justify this pick.

I disagree. If they don't get all these LBers on the field then it's an admission of making a mistake. Either drafting Brown or signing Smith to a 4 year deal. It just doesn't add up.
@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners