#241 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

The offseason is not over and I think you've said the bolded statement 100 times since the draft.

They can get a OT in free agency either with a guy already out there or some guys are starting to be cut now if you check Wilson's Twitter page.

They got the free safety and perhaps they can get a WR in the next draft as it really isnt an immediate need as the roster is full of WR.

How about CB? Even if you think Asa or Chykie are good enough to play nickel the depth is clearly lacking.

That's two very important positions that are very questionable right now.

There is still time to find players, but I can't remember a recent season where there are still two very large question marks after the draft.
@gabefergy

#242 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:52 PM

Okay Gabe ......

A couple things perhaps your right about ILB...Perhaps not see the SI article link below.

1) Just because the Steelers had Shazier rated higher doesnt mean the Ravens did.

2) The Steelers really wanted to draft a CB in the 1st round (I wonder if their fans are upset in Pittsburgh about lack of a CB about in the early rounds?)

3) If your right about the devalue of the ILB then its pretty interesting that 2 ILBS went in the top 17 picks.

Their needs per the Pittsburgh Post Gazette were WR, CB, and OT.

So as bad as they needed corners they didnt get one until the 5th. Very unlikely this guy is starter quality out of the gate.

So they got a receiver in the 4th (Bryant), a CB in the 5th, and never did get a OT and their line is been bad the last few years.

http://cityofchampio...s-15th-overall/

Shazier will definitely play inside for them. I have zero doubt about that, and looking at their depth chart pre draft they clearly needed an ILB. They had a huge hole next to Timmons and Shazier fits that need.

CB was a big need that they kind of ignored until late as well, so if I was a Steelers fan I would be a bit concerned there. They did get a lot of good players late at positions that needed depth, including CB so at least they drafted the position.
@gabefergy

#243 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

Well they've added 3 undrafted and as I just said players are being cut as we speak. The Ravens used undrafted guys and scrap heap guys in the secondary who have done a good job for us....Ihedigbo, Graham, C Williams, Will Demps and there are a bunch more.

Talk about this stuff when training camp is here.

I understand you concern ...But as Ozzie said were not done yet.

#244 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

Shazier will definitely play inside for them. I have zero doubt about that, and looking at their depth chart pre draft they clearly needed an ILB. They had a huge hole next to Timmons and Shazier fits that need.

CB was a big need that they kind of ignored until late as well, so if I was a Steelers fan I would be a bit concerned there. They did get a lot of good players late at positions that needed depth, including CB so at least they drafted the position.

But Gabe their offensive line sucks too and they didnt draft one ... And they waited until the 5th to get a CB and you'd only be a bit concerned ? Really?

#245 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

But Gabe their offensive line sucks too and they didnt draft one ... And they waited until the 5th to get a CB and you'd only be a bit concerned ? Really?

I don't think their OL is that bad actually. It just hasn't been able to stay healthy and they picked up a really good versatile lineman in Wesley Johnson. As far as CB I just said I would be concerned. Simply put, they did a better job of addressing their needs and still got tremendous value. Do some research bud.
@gabefergy

#246 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:07 AM

I do think teams would be envious to have a top three of Smith, Webb, Brown/Jackson.  That's a top 3 that's a lot better than a lot of other teams.  I agree, we need more depth there.  

This season coming up as all are in the NFL are about health and good scheme.  Kubiak needs to be the offensive panacea that we want him to be.  If he's not, the Ravens aren't going anywhere.  Whether they got Martin and Ward and a CB in the draft or not. 

Plus we need to stay healthy.  The losses of KO/Pitta and Rice's vanishing act doomed our season last year.  Neither guy appeared to be an injury risk coming into the season, and in the salary cap era, you just have to hope you stay healthy enough to get everyone healthy for the playoffs.

#247 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

We need a vet corner IMO.
@BSLRobShields

#248 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,010 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:51 AM

We've done pretty good at finding cheap corners who can come in and contribute over the years.

Graham was the most recent example, but Chris Carr was another.  Forget exactly when we found those guys, though, if they were signed more towards the beginning of free agency or if they were guys signed after June who wouldn't count against the comp pick game.

#249 glorydays

glorydays
  • Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Consistent year in and year out winners like the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens - have organizational philosophies that they stick to year in and year out. MOST years that equate to great drafts and winning seasons. If you wish to root for a team that switches their philosophy from year to year... If that would make you feel better about yourself - I'd suggest you buy yourself some Dolphins, Titans or Vikings swag and enjoy your once a decade winning season.

#250 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Consistent year in and year out winners like the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens - have organizational philosophies that they stick to year in and year out. MOST years that equate to great drafts and winning seasons. If you wish to root for a team that switches their philosophy from year to year... If that would make you feel better about yourself - I'd suggest you buy yourself some Dolphins, Titans or Vikings swag and enjoy your once a decade winning season.

I'm coming around on this draft. I was initially really bummed out we didn't land a receiver early on, or one of the top handful of tackles, or Jimmie Ward/Ha-Ha/Deone Bucannon.

But I am pretty intrigued at the direction the team is going... I think we could really have a killer defense if the right players develop. Elam/Brooks on the back end... Brown/Mosley in the middle for years to come... some rotation of Ngata/Williams/Jernigan up front with Suggs/Dumervil coming off the edges. If Jimmy continues to improve and Webb stays healthy, that sounds like a serious problem for opposing offenses.

They must feel pretty good about Wagner at RT. Combine that with the Zuttah signing & KO coming back and our O line should at least be average if not a little above. The offense is primed to be respectable at worst. They'll still need to figure out if Marlon Brown and Aaron Mellette are in the long term plans, but I think we're in good shape heading into this season.

Nice work by Ozzie and the gang.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#251 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,114 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

The crazy part about our offensive line is that Birk, KO, McKinnie, Yanda, Oher played a playoff stretch that was well above average.  You'd have to think the Monroe is an upgrade on McKinnie and Oher isn't that far off from Wagner.  Zuttah has some question marks, but if KO comes back healthy, from LT to RG we're well above average if you ask me.

In a two tight end system the way that Kubiak runs it, the need for a really good RT also gets diminished some because of the roles of the TEs too.

#252 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,720 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

The crazy part about our offensive line is that Birk, KO, McKinnie, Yanda, Oher played a playoff stretch that was well above average. You'd have to think the Monroe is an upgrade on McKinnie and Oher isn't that far off from Wagner. Zuttah has some question marks, but if KO comes back healthy, from LT to RG we're well above average if you ask me.

In a two tight end system the way that Kubiak runs it, the need for a really good RT also gets diminished some because of the roles of the TEs too.

It's hard to do much worse than the Oher we saw last year, but I would like know that RT is not an issue. Right now we really have no clue what Wagner will be, and what if another injury or two happens? The lack of depth, particularly at OT is alarming.
@gabefergy

#253 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,705 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

It's hard to do much worse than the Oher we saw last year, but I would like know that RT is not an issue. Right now we really have no clue what Wagner will be, and what if another injury or two happens? The lack of depth, particularly at OT is alarming.

They signed some UDFAs though, so it's all good.

#254 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:26 PM

We've done pretty good at finding cheap corners who can come in and contribute over the years.

Graham was the most recent example, but Chris Carr was another.  Forget exactly when we found those guys, though, if they were signed more towards the beginning of free agency or if they were guys signed after June who wouldn't count against the comp pick game.

Graham (according to ProFootballReference) and Carr (according to Wikipedia) were both signed in late March.

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners