BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

BSL: How much is Daryl Smith worth?
http://baltimorespor...yl-smith-worth/

Looking at other comparable ILBs, what kind of contract could the Ravens expect to shell out to retain Smith? A high priority, IMO. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,803 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

He was solid, but nothing special.  And in today's game, I don't think middle linebacker is the most important spot.  I do expect him to be back, but I think the price will be very reasonable, a slight pay raise over this year and a little bit longer deal.  I think Mike's lower estimates for a 2/$5M to 3/$8M type deal, with maybe $1-2M guaranteed, are on the money.

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

I like Smith and ideally would like him back, but he's a soon to be 32 yr old ILB. Not close to being a priority.

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

I like Smith and ideally would like him back, but he's a soon to be 32 yr old ILB. Not close to being a priority.

Right player right price, as Ozzie likes to say. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

He stacked up numbers and got attention due to the porous ILB position we've had in past years.  I wasn't as impressed as everyone else was.  He was OK in pass coverage, but got beat more than his fair share of times out of that spot too.

I want him back, because we need the help, but I wouldn't offer too much more than we gave him this year.  Hopefully Brown is ready to step into that role next year if necessary.  I'd hate to see a guy that we traded up for not be a starter or close to it by his second year.

Plus it sounds like Brown works really really hard.  Perhaps if he can bulk up a bit it might wear down some of his durability concerns.  

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,803 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

He stacked up numbers and got attention due to the porous ILB position we've had in past years.  I wasn't as impressed as everyone else was.  He was OK in pass coverage, but got beat more than his fair share of times out of that spot too.

He's good in zone coverage.  Terrible in man coverage.  Reads QBs well but can't stay with any backs or TEs.

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I would like him back...Arthur Brown not stepping up makes him more of a priority than he should be.

Hopefully they cut McClain and Brown takes over for him and becomes very good next year.

Like Jimmy Smith, Brown suffered through injuries and inconsistent playing time in his first year....So, there is only so much you can take away from him because of that.

@BSLRobShields

#8 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

He's good in zone coverage.  Terrible in man coverage.  Reads QBs well but can't stay with any backs or TEs.

Good QBs beat him consistently with their eyes too.  He lost several guys in zone coverages following the QBs eyes in the red zone in particular.  

Solid player, but not all that he was built up to be IMO over the course of the season.

#9 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

How the hell did Arthur Brown play so poorly last season?  I remember the front office gushing over this guy and of course they moved up to get him.  Was it all injury related or was he just not as good as they thought he was?  He is by far my biggest disappointment of last year's draft class.

Also, I agree that Smith was good but not great.  I would pay him in the 2-5M range but if he wanted more, Buh-Bye.

#10 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Brown didn't play poorly, he more or less didn't play.  Seeing 10-15 snaps per game.  Sounded more and more like he was just banged up and durable enough to be a three down guy in his first year when it was all said and done.

#11 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Is there any chance the Ravens try and woo Rolando McClain out of retirement?  

#12 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

One of the biggest mysteries, for me, of the 2013 Ravens season is why Arthur Brown saw such little playing time. Surely he couldn't have been much worse than Bynes to start the year. And then, on top of that, when McClain returned from injury and hadn't played a down in nearly 10 or so months he automatically leaped Brown as the starter.

Brown, from his limited playing time, seemed to be one of our best interior blitzers.

#13 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Is there any chance the Ravens try and woo Rolando McClain out of retirement?  

I've read that he is contemplating returning, but I'm certainly not counting on the guy one bit.

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,945 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

One of the biggest mysteries, for me, of the 2013 Ravens season is why Arthur Brown saw such little playing time. Surely he couldn't have been much worse than Bynes to start the year. And then, on top of that, when McClain returned from injury and hadn't played a down in nearly 10 or so months he automatically leaped Brown as the starter.

Brown, from his limited playing time, seemed to be one of our best interior blitzers.

Harbaugh must hate letting rookies get playing time. Which is funny because it's what he relied on at first with Flacco in his first year. Elam wasn't even a starter until Huff showed lack of effort. They had to bring back Vonta Leach instead of letting Juszczyk play a meaningless position in Caldwell's offense. 

EDIT: Even in Flacco's case, if Boller doesn't get hurt and Troy Smith doesn't get tonsillitis, Flacco doesn't even start year one.

• Biggsy likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

Well for me I was interested and he thought he deserved to paid well....

Interesting info

Smith rated 16th best ILB by PFF, 5th best ILB against the pass ...but 50th against the run.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here’s why…

Smith at this point in his career is a far better player against the pass than he is in run support. According to Pro Football Focus, Smith was the 16th ranked inside linebacker in 2013. That’s not too bad and given the $1M+ contract he provided great value.

In pass coverage Smith was the 5th best ILB but against the run Smith dropped to 50th.

Against the AFC North division rivals Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Cleveland Smith was unimpressive in run support receiving negative marks in each of the 6 contests, again per Pro Football Focus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://russellstreet...or-daryl-smith/

#16 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:00 AM

It's what jkough has said, there are other players who are better fits to play next to Art Brown, who like Smith, is stronger against the pass.

So no, not particularly high on my list. You still have guys here who could get the job done. You also have the rights to an intriguing 24 year old former Top 10 pick in McClain. Of course, there are still other potential FAs and draftees who could come in as well.

I would take him back, but he's still not a priority right now.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 82,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

If he's cheap..yes.
@BSLRobShields

#18 jasterps

jasterps
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think they go after Brandon Spikes if they do not end up with Daryl.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

I think it would be easier to lose him if Arthur Brown had done more as a Rookie.

#20 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,186 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Smith was a boxscore filler.  Plain and simple.  For the right price, sure.  But don't give him Jackson or Dansby money.  Heck, Jackson and Dansby weren't worth what they got.  

Pat Angerer is a guy I'd love to bring in.  I know he won't be healthy until June though...

Woodyard is also a guy for the right price I'd look at.  Plus signing him would be another hit to Denver who's cap space is tight.

I don't love Spikes inside.  Still think he's a best fit in the weak side OLB spot in a 4-3 (think Jamie Sharper type).

The market is thin though at this position.  To some degree we might HAVE to bring Smith back.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners