• This topic is locked This topic is locked
342 replies to this topic

#321 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Actually I believe that Charleston vote is to only allow the school to negotiate with CAA. Now Im sure they will be in eventually, but this vote does not mean a for-sure invite for CoC.

#322 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Baltimore Sun: Notre Dame, ACC open football scheduling talks

http://www.baltimore...0,1878583.story
@levineps

#323 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Baltimore Sun: Notre Dame, ACC open football scheduling talks

http://www.baltimore...0,1878583.story

2014 will require ND to cancel games somewhere to get to 5 ACC games. They currently have 2 ACC teams scheduled with one open date available:

8-30 Rice
9-6 Michigan
9-13 Purdue
9-27 vs. Syracuse @East Rutherford, NJ
10-4 Stanford
10-11 @ Temple
10-25 @ Arizona State
11-1 vs. Navy @site TBD
11-8 Pittsburgh
11-15 Northwestern
11-29 @ Southern California

2015 should be no problem, 4 ACC teams already and two open dates:

9-5 Texas
9-19 @ Purdue
9-26 Massachusetts
10-10 Navy
10-17 Southern California
11-7 Wake Forest
11-14 @ Pittsburgh
11-21 Syracuse

11-28 @ Stanford
TBA @ Boston College

Same goes for 2016:

9-3 @ Texas
9-17 Stanford
9-24 @ Michigan State
10-8 Miami, FL
10-15 vs. Navy
10-29 Pittsburgh
11-26 @ Southern California
TBA Boston College
TBA Purdue
TBA Syracuse @East Rutherford, NJ

One caveat is that the ACC wants to rotate the teams ND plays, so some of the games featuring BC, Syracuse and Pitt may get a different ACC team subbed in.

#324 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

2014 will require ND to cancel games somewhere to get to 5 ACC games. They currently have 2 ACC teams scheduled with one open date available:

8-30 Rice
9-6 Michigan
9-13 Purdue
9-27 vs. Syracuse @East Rutherford, NJ
10-4 Stanford
10-11 @ Temple
10-25 @ Arizona State
11-1 vs. Navy @site TBD
11-8 Pittsburgh
11-15 Northwestern
11-29 @ Southern California

2015 should be no problem, 4 ACC teams already and two open dates:

9-5 Texas
9-19 @ Purdue
9-26 Massachusetts
10-10 Navy
10-17 Southern California
11-7 Wake Forest
11-14 @ Pittsburgh
11-21 Syracuse

11-28 @ Stanford
TBA @ Boston College

Same goes for 2016:

9-3 @ Texas
9-17 Stanford
9-24 @ Michigan State
10-8 Miami, FL
10-15 vs. Navy
10-29 Pittsburgh
11-26 @ Southern California
TBA Boston College
TBA Purdue
TBA Syracuse @East Rutherford, NJ

One caveat is that the ACC wants to rotate the teams ND plays, so some of the games featuring BC, Syracuse and Pitt may get a different ACC team subbed in.

My guess is they reposition some of the current ACC spots to accommodate that. I don't see them taking away the USC game under any circumstances and Stanford in 2015 (as you stated no problems though), since they like to have a California presence, and unlikely Navy either. Most logical in 2014, looks like Temple, an away game, non-marquee opponent. If it was a home game, maybe Rice? ASU in 2014, I think is there "road" home game in Dallas, but I could be wrong on that.
@levineps

#325 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

ESPN: Big East approves 2-division format

[url]http://espn.go.com/c...roved-divisions[/url

For the purposes of football, the conference will be divided into a western division of Boise State, Houston, Memphis, San Diego State, SMU and Temple, and an eastern division of Central Florida, Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers and South Florida.

All of the schools were pretty clear-cut as to which belonged in the western or eastern division, except Temple, which was placed in the western division.

Temple drew the short straw.

The Big East championship game, starting in 2013, will played between the East and West champions at the homefield of one of participating teams.

If the Pac-12 isn't "big" enough for a neutral site game, I guess the Big East isn't either.
@levineps

#326 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

ESPN: Big East approves 2-division format

[url]http://espn.go.com/c...roved-divisions[/url

Temple drew the short straw.

If the Pac-12 isn't "big" enough for a neutral site game, I guess the Big East isn't either.

The fact that they were creating divisions from scratch and still managed to end up with Cincinnati AND Louisville in the East and Temple in the West makes me want to punch someone. I don't even give a damn about the conference, it's about the principle and the idiocy.

#327 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

You can get in your car outside Temple University and have your feet in the Atlantic Ocean within an hour. And they're playing in the same division as San Diego State.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#328 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

You can get in your car outside Temple University and have your feet in the Atlantic Ocean within an hour. And they're playing in the same division as San Diego State.

But football.

#329 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

With the new format, it makes a lot less sense for all these western schools to join the Big East when they are no longer a BCS conference. Under the new format, Boise would likely be in the BCS if they kept going undefeated like they've done in the past. I guess being in the Big East has a slight advantage in terms of quality of conference, but it's the advantage it once looked like.
@levineps

#330 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I guess Army-Navy will have to move up to probably the Thanksgiving weekend in 2015 when Navy moves moves to the Big East. I can't imagine the Big East having their Championship Game a different week from the normal Championship Week.
@levineps

#331 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I guess Army-Navy will have to move up to probably the Thanksgiving weekend in 2015 when Navy moves moves to the Big East. I can't imagine the Big East having their Championship Game a different week from the normal Championship Week.

Army-Navy is being played Dec 8 this season, a week after the Championship Games. I'm pretty sure they did that last season too. And since it will be an OOC game for Navy, thus having no impact on the Big East standings, then it should be fine if they play it the 2nd weekend in December.

#332 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Army-Navy is being played Dec 8 this season, a week after the Championship Games. I'm pretty sure they did that last season too. And since it will be an OOC game for Navy, thus having no impact on the Big East standings, then it should be fine if they play it the 2nd weekend in December.

They've been doing it the week after "Championship Week" for a while, either 2-3 years. I don't think they'd want to play hypothetically a game after the Championship Game. And their performance could in theory affect which bowl game they go to. I think the bowl games will want them to move it up as well. Bottomline is I think they will move it up unless they want to go Grambling-Southern on this one and decide that, that game where it is matters more than any potential bowl.
@levineps

#333 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

They've been doing it the week after "Championship Week" for a while, either 2-3 years. I don't think they'd want to play hypothetically a game after the Championship Game. And their performance could in theory affect which bowl game they go to. I think the bowl games will want them to move it up as well. Bottomline is I think they will move it up unless they want to go Grambling-Southern on this one and decide that, that game where it is matters more than any potential bowl.

You hit the nail on the head with that final part. The stuff before won't matter. Navy does not want to screw with the Army game, and I'm sure they've already made that clear to the Big East. And the impression I got was that the Big East wanted Navy more than Navy wanted them, so I'm sure they will accommodate Navy's wishes to play Army after the CCG, and the bowl partners will live with it.

The one thing that could change it down the road is if the Big East further expands. They've already hinted that they'd like to add another western team when Navy joins (Air Force?). If they go further and try to get all 3 service academies, then you do have to move Army/Navy earlier.

#334 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

If they were actually competitive in the Big East though, I can't imagine they'd want to play Army the week after the Big East Championship Game. Likely, this is a non-factor though, I don't think they'll be that competitive for the most part in the Big East.
@levineps

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,687 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

While I think the overall alignment makes little sense, I kind of like what will be the Big East Conference for football. I say that as someone that has never been a Big East fan.

Boise State has obviously become a National power. A number of other schools - Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, San Diego State, Temple, SMU, Central Florida, South Florida - have either previously, or even recently had some success.

The two Florida schools have the potential of being annual Top 25 schools to me.

Still not better than the 5th or 6th best conference overall, but a pretty competitive league.

#336 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

If they were actually competitive in the Big East though, I can't imagine they'd want to play Army the week after the Big East Championship Game. Likely, this is a non-factor though, I don't think they'll be that competitive for the most part in the Big East.

While many rivalries have gone by the wayside in the name of money during conference realignment, I'm very confident Army/Navy will be the one that is too sacred to tinker with.

#337 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

While many rivalries have gone by the wayside in the name of money during conference realignment, I'm very confident Army/Navy will be the one that is too sacred to tinker with.

I don't see it going away, the article didn't address the Army-Navy game. I just don't think if it moved up a few weeks it would be damaged. As it is, playing this late without any other relevant games that day, has actualyl devalued it IMO. It feels almost like the Pro Bowl.
@levineps

#338 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

playing this late without any other relevant games that day, has actualyl devalued it IMO.

I don't see how that has devalued it at all. If anything, it puts far more focus on the game than it could ever receive if it were up against conference championship games or a typical regular season week. Both of the academies like it this way, and I'm sure CBS (the current TV partner for both schools) does as well. In fact, having rights to the Army/Navy every other year as the only game of the week could be a nice selling point for the Big East as it seeks a new TV contract.

#339 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I don't see how that has devalued it at all. If anything, it puts far more focus on the game than it could ever receive if it were up against conference championship games or a typical regular season week. Both of the academies like it this way, and I'm sure CBS (the current TV partner for both schools) does as well. In fact, having rights to the Army/Navy every other year as the only game of the week could be a nice selling point for the Big East as it seeks a new TV contract.

Just from my perspective, I don't have the same interest in the game. It was a good appetizer before the Championship Games. I get why they did it as the "only game" of the day. I'd be interested to know how the ratings were since the switch.
@levineps

#340 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Just from my perspective, I don't have the same interest in the game. It was a good appetizer before the Championship Games. I get why they did it as the "only game" of the day. I'd be interested to know how the ratings were since the switch.

I'm just guessing, but I think it's probably break even or close. On one hand, I know some (but not all) years Army/Navy went head-to-head with the ACC Championship game. Not that the ACC has been must-see-TV, but it's still taking away some of the potential audience. Plus you still have regular season Big East games and now Big XII games too. On the other hand, being the lead-in for the SEC Championship game probably helped some. But from CBS's standpoint I think they prefer marketing Army/Navy as the marquee game of the week, and being able to send their top announcing team (Lundquist/Danielson) and production crew to broadcast the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners