#302 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,687 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

ESPN: Commish: Big East viable without ND

http://espn.go.com/c... ... notre-dame

Ok, I understand he is the Big East Commish.... and that they remain a very good basketball conference. However, the idea that 'nobody is going to debate that the Big East is the best basketball conference,' is hyperbole.

#303 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Ok, I understand he is the Big East Commish.... and that they remain a very good basketball conference. However, the idea that 'nobody is going to debate that the Big East is the best basketball conference,' is hyperbole.

Damage control at it's best, they are clearly a weaker basketball conference now not so much the ND move to but the Syracuse/Pitt ones.
@levineps

#304 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...eal-orange-bowl

The Atlantic Coast Conference and Orange Bowl are finalizing a deal that would pit the ACC champion against either Notre Dame, an SEC or Big Ten team starting after the 2014 regular season, sources told ESPN.

The ACC champion, or another team from the conference if its champion qualifies for the national semifinals, will play annually in the Orange Bowl. How the ACC's opponent will be selected from Notre Dame, the SEC or Big Ten is still being determined.

#305 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,687 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/c...eal-orange-bowl

The ACC just continues to kill the Big East. Last week I saw the Big East stating they believed they would get a seat in the Orange Bowl.

Still... you figure the SEC Champ and Big Ten Champ are in the Final Four, with their 2nd best teams playing that SEC/Big Ten Bowl. So are we talking ACC Champ vs. SEC or BigTen #3?

#306 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

The ACC just continues to kill the Big East. Last week I saw the Big East stating they believed they would get a seat in the Orange Bowl.

Still... you figure the SEC Champ and Big Ten Champ are in the Final Four, with their 2nd best teams playing that SEC/Big Ten Bowl. So are we talking ACC Champ vs. SEC or BigTen #3?

The SEC is playing the Big XII champ (or runner-up) in the new bowl. Big Ten still sends its champ (or runner-up) to the Rose Bowl. But yeah, unless one of the two conferences doesn't send its champion to the playoff, then it would be the #3 team that goes to the Orange Bowl. Not sure how Notre Dame will fit in. I'm sure they will have to achieve a certain ranking to be eligible....but I'm wondering if they would be ruled out no matter what if the ACC team that plays would create a rematch, with the new ACC alliance. I'm guessing not.

EDIT: Re: Big East Football.....looks like they will pretty much be relegated to Conference USA/Mountan West status after the BCS ends. Which is fitting, considering that's where most of their members came from anyway.

#307 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

The SEC is playing the Big XII champ (or runner-up) in the new bowl. Big Ten still sends its champ (or runner-up) to the Rose Bowl. But yeah, unless one of the two conferences doesn't send its champion to the playoff, then it would be the #3 team that goes to the Orange Bowl. Not sure how Notre Dame will fit in. I'm sure they will have to achieve a certain ranking to be eligible....but I'm wondering if they would be ruled out no matter what if the ACC team that plays would create a rematch, with the new ACC alliance. I'm guessing not.

EDIT: Re: Big East Football.....looks like they will pretty much be relegated to Conference USA/Mountan West status after the BCS ends. Which is fitting, considering that's where most of their members came from anyway.

Really worth it for Boise(and other non-"east" schools) to move?
@levineps

#308 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,687 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

I think Boise St winds up going back to the Mountain West.

#309 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I think Boise St winds up going back to the Mountain West.

Wouldn't they face a buy-out to do that?

http://collegefootba...r-the-big-east/
@levineps

#310 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,687 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Wouldn't they face a buy-out to do that?

http://collegefootba...r-the-big-east/

Yep, might be several years down the road... but don't see them staying in the Big East long term, especially without the AQ.

#311 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Really worth it for Boise(and other non-"east" schools) to move?

It depends. The MWC has a terrible TV deal....I think it only pays each school around $2 million a year. The Big East won't come close to what the other 5 BCS conferences get, but they should be able to exceed that, easily. The question is, will it be enough to make up for what Boise State (and SD State) will have to pay in increased travel costs for football? Plus Boise State also has to pay the Big West for travel expenses for teams to travel to them as a condition for having a home for their other sports. Don't know how the ledger will end up looking for them....but at least they will have a 1-year BCS payout to help.

EDIT: As of now, the Big East also has better (i.e. more lucrative) bowl tie-ins. So that helps too.

#312 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

ESPN: ND-Michigan to end after 2014

http://espn.go.com/c...igan-wolverines

Michigan is the first casualty of Notre Dame's new arrangement with the ACC.

This is disappointing, obviously more for Michigan fans.
@levineps

#313 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

Casualty of ND to ACC. I bet they'll cut some more of their classic games (maybe Purdue) to satisfy the "play 5 ACC teams per year" demand.

#314 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Casualty of ND to ACC. I bet they'll cut some more of their classic games (maybe Purdue) to satisfy the "play 5 ACC teams per year" demand.

I think USC and Navy are the two that absolutely won't go away. And they like having Stanford on their schedule, so they can play atleast one game on the west coast, specifically California every year.
@levineps

#315 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think USC and Navy are the two that absolutely won't go away. And they like having Stanford on their schedule, so they can play atleast one game on the west coast, specifically California every year.

Agreed. If they cut one more, I think it'll be Purdue or Michigan St.

Then, if there's an open spot, they can rotate several years between the B1G schools that they had to part with annually.

#316 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Agreed. If they cut one more, I think it'll be Purdue or Michigan St.

Then, if there's an open spot, they can rotate several years between the B1G schools that they had to part with annually.

Is Purdue every year, if so I didn't realize it. I wonder why they cut Michigan before those other schools. That game typically has a lot more exposure. Maybe they wanted one less difficult game?
@levineps

#317 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Is Purdue every year, if so I didn't realize it. I wonder why they cut Michigan before those other schools. That game typically has a lot more exposure. Maybe they wanted one less difficult game?

It's probably a contractual thing. Their contracts with Purdue and MSU might not have an opt-out clause like this. In looking at ND's future schedule, they are scheduled to play Purdue annually through 2021. They will play Michigan St next year, take a two year hiatus, and resume the series from 2016-19.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#318 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

ESPN: Notre Dame talks early Big East exit

http://espn.go.com/c...-jack-swarbrick
@levineps