BSL: Is Eugene Monroe Worth Investing In? / EDIT: Monroe extended

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

There has been a lot of speculation about Monroe's value to the Ravens.  Is he a scheme fit?  Are the Ravens concerned about his 2013 productivity?  My take:

http://bit.ly/1ic6kQX

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, McNulty and 2 others like this
Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Good stuff.

The intangibles seem to be good too. He's in his prime, hes been durable, and he seems to be a Ravens type player. Preston said he became a team leader by the end of the year. Miller has said he continues to work out reg at the Castle.

He doesn't seem like the type to rest on his laurels after getting a big deal.

I just have to trust in the process. The Ravens have earned that. Like you though , I see this as a great fit.

It makes me think Monroe already knows what he can get on the FA market, and it'll probably blow people away. I bet he gets a Top 3-4 OT contract.

#3 jkough1

jkough1

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

It makes me think Monroe already knows what he can get on the FA market, and it'll probably blow people away. I bet he gets a Top 3-4 OT contract.

Do you think he's worth that?  Do others?  5 years/58 mill type deal?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

A top 3-4 tackle contract really wouldn't surprise me, but I also don't think it's out of the Ravens price range.

Saw the other thread where Wilson said the Ravens feel he's more of a $7.5M a year guy, but I really think he's worth and will get $9.5-10M.  $10M a year would make him tied for 3rd in terms of highest paid tackles in the league.  I think he gets that with the way the cap is going up.  I'm really surprised the Ravens maxed out their offer at something in the $37-40M range, if that's true.

Hopefully they can agree to something before he hits free agency.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Do you think he's worth that?  Do others?  5 years/58 mill type deal?

5/$58M would make him the #1 tackle in terms of AAV trailing only two 6-year and one 7-year deal in total dollars.  That's more than I think he'll get, but not by a lot, unless someone gives him a 6th year.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

He's getting 10 mil. With the way the cap is going up, absolutely will.

I've already accepted that the Ravens are going to plan B. Unlike, the other team on town, I trust that there actually is a plan B.

#7 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Yup, agree he is going to get paid as a top 3-5 LT with the drastic increase in the cap...you are going to see a ton of "over-pays" this year because of the jump in this year (as well as expected jumps in 2015/2016).

@brobey1

#8 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

I think 5/45 is fair for both sides, and I still have some hope a deal can be worked out.
@gabefergy

#9 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

Miller is conspicuosly absent from this thread  :eek:   I wonder if he still thinks this doesn't get done?

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

Sounds to me that the Ravens are around 5/40 with 20 guaranteed on the high end.

They don't feel he is as good as people here think he is.
@BSLRobShields

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Sounds to me that the Ravens are around 5/40 with 20 guaranteed on the high end.

They don't feel he is as good as people here think he is.

Or they aren't anticipating as much of an increase in market prices as we are.

Or regardless of how good or valuable they think Monroe is even with considering the increased market prices, that they can get one of their coveted 80/50 players which they would prefer to a big deal for Monroe.

A few different possibilities.  Though most, at this point, lead towards the Ravens and Monroe parting ways.  I'd be surprised if they bring him back at this point.  I think if they were willing to pay what I expect he'll get in the market, that they would've franchised him and tried to continue negotiating.

#12 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I would've designated the transition tag. The tender was lower and we could've matched his offer or taken the two first rounders if the Doplhins really wanted him.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I would've designated the transition tag. The tender was lower and we could've matched his offer or taken the two first rounders if the Doplhins really wanted him.

No compensation with the transition tag.  And the tender was only a little lower, around $10M.

I would've franchised him if we wanted him back.  Seen what Albert and other T get on the open market, then offer him around the same on a long-term deal.

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

No compensation with the transition tag.  And the tender was only a little lower, around $10M.

I would've franchised him if we wanted him back.  Seen what Albert and other T get on the open market, then offer him around the same on a long-term deal.

It doesn't matter that there is no compensation for that tag. The Ravens are obviously ok with him walking for nothing.

The key with the tag is that you get the chance to match.

Plus, if stays here under that tag, it's cheaper than the franchise tag.

The lack of compensation only matters if you really want that player to stay and are trying your best to keep him.
@BSLRobShields

#15 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Monroe was amazingly consistent in pass protection throughout the year.  PFF's (mostly) non-subjective pressure stats rank him as tied for 8th (of 58) in Pass Blocking Efficiency for OTackles.  This equates to a "pressure" allowed on 5.14% of pass plays.

Other teams will certainly covet this.  Monroe struggles a bit to move people in the run game, though.  This issue is mitigated with an emphasis on zone-running but Monroe's lack of power could impact how other teams value him.

An example play that didn't make my piece:

jones1-e1394042326462.png

Inside Zone Weak from the Pistol alignment.  LT Monroe's responsibility is rookie OLB Jarvis Jones.  Monroe can either "wheel" to cut Jones off or "reach" him to open a hole to the outside.  Wheeling Jones is preferable due to the location of "LB" Polamalu in a 30-tech.

jones2-e1394042341104.png

At the snap, OLB Jones digs in and decides to hold his ground on Monroe's outside hip. 

jones3-e1394042363745.png

By the time Rice is forced to choose his hole, Monroe barely achieved any displacement.  LG Shipley and C Gradkowski have almost surpassed Monroe horizontally.  OLB Jones has successfully "squeezed" the initial running lane.

jones4-e1394042382517.png

The running play goes nowhere partially due to Monroe's inability to move his assignment. 

Based on the run-blocking I saw on film, Monroe did not struggle to this extent in the zone rushing scheme very often.  It should be mentioned that a 5 or 6 man ZBS from shotgun is not a great yardstick to measure repetitive Kubiak-like blocking.  But based on the traits I've seen of him, I like his fit in the 2014 rushing attack.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Here's the problem with the transition tag, the Ravens clearly don't think Monroe is worth 10M+ a year and are not willing to pay that amount.

If Monroe tests the market and only finds that he is a 5/40 guy why would he sign a long term deal when he is guaranteed 10M because of the tag?  The Ravens are then stuck paying him and 10M is a big number. If they wanted to keep him that badly they would have just applied the Franchise tag.

If Monroe goes out and finds some team is willing to overpay him and gets and a 5/50+ deal, the Ravens aren't going to match anyway so there is no point in applying the Transition tag.

The only scenario where it would be useful is if Monroe finds a deal that is only slightly more than what the Ravens are offering, but in that case he could just as easily come back to the team and say here is what (Miami) is offering, can you do better without the tag being applied.

@gabefergy

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Here's the problem with the transition tag, the Ravens clearly don't think Monroe is worth 10M+ a year and are not willing to pay that amount.

If Monroe tests the market and only finds that he is a 5/40 guy why would he sign a long term deal when he is guaranteed 10M because of the tag?  The Ravens are then stuck paying him and 10M is a big number. If they wanted to keep him that badly they would have just applied the Franchise tag.

If Monroe goes out and finds some team is willing to overpay him and gets and a 5/50+ deal, the Ravens aren't going to match anyway so there is no point in applying the Transition tag.

The only scenario where it would be useful is if Monroe finds a deal that is only slightly more than what the Ravens are offering, but in that case he could just as easily come back to the team and say here is what (Miami) is offering, can you do better without the tag being applied.

Hard to believe an NfL player would take 10M for one year over 5/40 and 20-25 guaranteed.

That logic doesn't usually exist.
@BSLRobShields

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

It doesn't matter that there is no compensation for that tag. The Ravens are obviously ok with him walking for nothing.

The key with the tag is that you get the chance to match.

Plus, if stays here under that tag, it's cheaper than the franchise tag.

The lack of compensation only matters if you really want that player to stay and are trying your best to keep him.

My point is the Ravens aren't comfortable with paying him the transition amount.  If they were, they would've franchised him.

I understand your argument that it's unlikely he'd accept the tender, but the Ravens weren't willing to take that chance, so I think it's pretty obvious that they must have felt there was a reasonable chance of him accepting once he receives all the offers from other teams.  They pretty clearly think he's not going to get the $9.5-10.5M offers that all of us seem to think he will get.  Either that, or they think he's just a $7M player at best and having him back at $10M all against the cap would be a pretty devastating impact to the rest of their offseason plan.

#19 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hard to believe an NfL player would take 10M for one year over 5/40 and 20-25 guaranteed.

That logic doesn't usually exist.

You don't know that deal is out there though, and if it is the Ravens don't need the Transition tag to be able to match it necessarily. Agents and players, especially a FA like Monroe, are always in talks with more than one team. That's they how they gain leverage.

Why would Monroe take less then he thinks he is worth when he has 10M guaranteed for one year. If he has another strong year he is going to get paid after the salary cap goes up even further.
@gabefergy

#20 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

John Eisenberg was on Norris and Davis this morning and he believes this deal gets done but probably not until the deadline.  John is great reporter, as everyone knows, and given that he works for the Ravens' website, I have to believe he has insight that others may not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners