#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,813 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

I think an explosive, quick guy as a change of pace to pierce would be huge for this offense.

Of course, that is what rice has been but allegations or not, I have my doubts he can be that again.

Ironically, the Ravens have talked about getting a bigger back this offseason.
  • ChrisWorthington likes this
@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

The one thing that wasn't mentioned was Pierce's durability. He has dealt with nicks and dings throughout his career and also in his college days at Temple. I'm not sure he is a guy that can carry the ball the 250+ times in a season.

I do like his skillset even though he isnt the kind of guy who will hit homeruns, he generally picks up positive yardage. I hope he is still improving as a player and I would like to think that Kubiak will help him when it comes to running in a ZBS.

@gabefergy

#4 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Before the Rice incident Ozzie indicated that they want a big bodied power running back. It would be interesting to see if things have changed. Pierce isn't a number one back IMO

#5 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

I think an explosive, quick guy as a change of pace to Pierce would be huge for this offense.

I definitely agree with this. I wasn't sold on a big, bruising RB as a compliment to rice or Pierce, really. I think more of a scatback type would be useful.

The one thing that wasn't mentioned was Pierce's durability. He has dealt with nicks and dings throughout his career and also in his college days at Temple. I'm not sure he is a guy that can carry the ball the 250+ times in a season.

This is an interesting point. I didn't follow his career at Temple at all, admittedly. But injury concerns are definitely an issue if he were to be our RB1. I'm not sure that I want to see Shaun Draughn or Bernard Scott starting.

#6 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,309 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

My guess is they wanted a big bruiser for goal line situations given how bad we struggled in that department last year.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#7 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Hell, grab Terrance West if he falls far enough in the draft. Loved watching that kid at Towson, interested to see if he impresses at the combine.

@Bmore_Irish

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,309 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Hell, grab Terrance West if he falls far enough in the draft. Loved watching that kid at Towson, interested to see if he impresses at the combine.

Scouts are knocking his lack of "break away" speed. I know the game is quicker in FBS vs. FCS... and obviously even more so in the NFL... but I don't think speed is this kid's problem. He's an interesting prospect.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#9 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Scouts are knocking his lack of "break away" speed. I know the game is quicker in FBS vs. FCS... and obviously even more so in the NFL... but I don't think speed is this kid's problem. He's an interesting prospect.

That's why I think it'll be interesting to see how he performs at the combine; would be fortunate if he ends up being able to be had very late.

He has always looked like a natural running back to me, good vision and also finishes runs very physically.

Edit: and by very late, I mean relative to his projected 3rd round grade, though maybe RB has become more of a priority now.

@Bmore_Irish

#10 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

After watching a lot of Pierce from 2013, I think he fits a down-hill rushing attack a bit better than a lateral one.  In Chris' article, the last play breakdown shows Pierce getting north-south in a hurry without needing to set up blocks.  This is where he excels.  Starting a stopping in small areas doesn't fit Pierce.  With a bit more coaching in the ZBS, my optimistic side can see him learn to read his paths better to find the creases in the line.  I worry about him cutting back across the formation at acute angles.  He has never shown the ability to do this effectively. 

I have my doubts about Pierce carrying the load in the ZBS.

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners