#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Man there's a lot of good info in there on O-Line play.

@fuzydunlop

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

Dan Bryden for Offensive Line Coach.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,117 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Ravens line looks a lot better if he can be an adequate RT.

Would think if they handed him the position, and he worked on it fully during the mini-camps, and Training camp that he would obviously look better than he did coming into Week 1 this past year cold.

Guess it depends how much upside the Ravens feel he has. They always say the largest growth of a player is from Year 1 to Year 2... full year of lifting, NFL practice etc...  hopefully he is ready to step-up.

#5 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Very nice breakdown as always Dan. Your assessment seems to be that Wagner is best suited to play OG. Is it a problem that Wagner has with his feet, i.e. not quick enough to adequately mirror pass rushers off the edge?
@gabefergy

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Ideally, Wagner is probably a good 6th or 7th lineman. Someone that can swing inside or out at tackle in a pinch.

Sounds like he could improve with better coaching. However, it also sounds like he'll never be a great fit for the Kubiak system.

#7 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

Very nice breakdown as always Dan. Your assessment seems to be that Wagner is best suited to play OG. Is it a problem that Wagner has with his feet, i.e. not quick enough to adequately mirror pass rushers off the edge?

I think that Wagner will eventually be best suited for OT.  I think he just needs more experience in mirroring NFL pass rushers.  A bit of technique refinement will go a long way.  Currently I think he's best suited for Guard.  But oddly Jah Reid appears better suited for the ZBS and Wagner more suited for pass-pro.

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#8 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

Ideally, Wagner is probably a good 6th or 7th lineman. Someone that can swing inside or out at tackle in a pinch.

Sounds like he could improve with better coaching. However, it also sounds like he'll ever be a great fit for the Kubiak system.

Wagner certainly worked well in combination with Yanda in the ZBS.  Wagner's issues arise after first contact, a problem that many vets still struggle with.  Most of my confusion comes from the use of Shipley.  I think Reid and Wagner are both better Guards than Shipley and neither really played Guard much.

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Wagner certainly worked well in combination with Yanda in the ZBS.  Wagner's issues arise after first contact, a problem that many vets still struggle with.  Most of my confusion comes from the use of Shipley.  I think Reid and Wagner are both better Guards than Shipley and neither really played Guard much.

Well, this isn't the first time we've wondered WTF Harbaugh or his coaches are doing playing certain players over others.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Wagner being a competent RT would make this offseason much easier.
@BSLRobShields

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I certainly can't offer the strong analysis that Dan has provided here, but agree with those that think it'd really help out the Ravens financially if they think, and are proven correct, that Wagner can handle the RT spot.

The one thing I'll add, is that offensive lineman from Wisconsin seem to have a pretty solid history of success. And having just added Wisconsin's long time RB coach to the staff, I imagine the team will have even more info on Wagner's abilities than even they normally gather on a young player in his first year.
  • BSLRobShields likes this

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Excellent point Mackus.
@BSLRobShields

#13 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yes, valid point about the new RB coach really knowing Wagner. If Kubiak thinks Wagner can be groomed and we can get away with Justice for a year or two it would help a lot. That said, do whatever it takes to improve this OL. Its the crucial part of this offseason IMO.

Obviously, resigning Monroe is also important.

#14 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

I really liked this draft pick and think he will eventually pay dividends. If he could take over RT that would be huge in helping right the O-Line.

I was going to say that the Badger pedigree hasn't hurt other lineman either.

#15 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

The Ravens need 3 new OLmen this offseason that need to come from the draft or free agency. Monroe and Yanda are the only two worth keeping in a line that was really bad last year. I'm not willing to count on KO for much coming off back surgery.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,117 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Russell Street Report: Wagner has best day of camp
http://russellstreet...st-day-of-camp/

• Chris Schisler likes this

#17 Chris Schisler

Chris Schisler
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

I love the detail! There is definitely a lot you can take away from the Broncos opener last year. I would however say this is a very small sample. I have high hopes for Wagner. The big thing is he has a high football IQ and this helps him to play faster, (keep moving his feet, automatically knows what to do in each situation.

I always thought that Oher played too much in his head. Michael Oher had to think too much during the game. As a result he developed a nervous first step that drew false starts, and he would stop his feet as if there was a disconnect between his upper body and lower body. Wagner I believe is the anti Oher and so I have high hopes.

Your article was awesome!
@footballman58

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Russell Street Report: Wagner has best day of camp
http://russellstreet...st-day-of-camp/

Just wanted to say I've read all of RSRs daily TC reports. They're doing a good job over there.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,117 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

Baltimore Beatdown: Wagner placed on IR
http://www.baltimore...ith-foot-injury

Wagner showed to be a positive piece of the puzzle this year. One of the positives of the season.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:05 PM

That's a huge loss. He has been one of the best RT in the game this year.

Btw, Yanda to RT and Urschel to guard....much better than going with Hurst.
  • fishteacher likes this
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners