BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

BSL: Ravens Mock Draft 2.0

http://baltimorespor...mock-draft-2-0/

Now that the free agency dust has settled, where can the Ravens look now?

• BSLChrisStoner and Bmore Irish like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#62 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think there is a very real chance HHCD becomes a Raven if he is still around at pick 17. He pretty much fits the description Ozzie gave in the end of the season Press Conference to a tee. He's big, rangy, and athletic with the ability to make plays in the box and in the back end.

I'm somewhat mystified by the Borland pick though. I'm not sure where he fits considering Daryl Smith just got resigned for 4 years and Arthur Brown is the ILB of the future in Baltimore. Not only is Borland a poor fit in a 3-4, but he just isn't needed. Unless you have some inside info that the Ravens are switching predominantly to a 4-3 defense it seems like a wasted pick to me.

Mike Davis is an interesting choice here, but I think the Ravens need to take a WR earlier than the 3rd round and I like some other players in this range more than Davis (Paul Richardson, Donte Moncrief, Martavis Bryant)

West is a perfect fit and good value in the 4th round. I think there is a very real chance he ends up coming here.

I think I would prefer taking a flier on a DB in the latter half of the draft than two OL, but Larsen would be a nice pick-up.

I'm not really sure that Sam is a fit here in Baltimore. He has a nice story, but there are 5 OLBs currently on the roster and unless McPhee makes the switch back to DE I don't see the need to bring in another situational pass-rusher.

@gabefergy

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,769 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

BSL: Ravens Mock Draft 2.0

http://baltimorespor...mock-draft-2-0/

Now that the free agency dust has settled, where can the Ravens look now?

I was high on Clinton-Dix for awhile, but Russ Lande really soured me on him when he joined Sports Tonight.

Overall, an interesting article Mike.... but I think it's really hard to do a 7 round Mock. Even when aware of team needs, just don't see enough guys directly.  1st round, even 2nd round you can make pretty strong estimates... mainly because of all the available scouting reports... once you get past that point, difficulty raises significantly.

#64 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Very true. Its hard to predict. I cant imagine the success rate is very high, even for the experts. But I made some educated guesses, picked guys who look to fit the Ravens "style" and schemes. Thats all mocks are. Educated guesses.
@BSLMikeRandall

#65 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

@Gabe. Good points all around. I was thinking the opposite about Borland though. Hes lacks some speed, which as Ray Lewis got older is a reason they switched to a 3-4, less area he has to cover. But Borland is a beast otherwise. Were not sure what we have in Brown and Smith isnt great in run D. After those two guys, its dreadful with Bynes, Adrian Hamilton. So I feel an MLB is still a need as the most important position on the defense.

I also feel like Sam's draft stock will fall for reasons it shouldn't. He would be good value that far down and the Ravens wouldn't let him slip past them. They'd find room for him on STs and maybe he can be a player in 2015, or fill in if Dumervil goes down. Again, after Suggs and Doom, we dont know what we have. Upshaw disappointed last year.

In a deep WR pool, Davis might be a 3rd rounder by default. In a shallow draft, maybe he's a late first or second round talent. One of few positions you can get top talent later on.
@BSLMikeRandall

#66 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I think we just fundamentally disagree about the kind of player Borland is. I'm not sure the playmaking ability he shows in college will translate to the NFL, and I have even more concerns for him playing in a 3-4 defense.

He has good instincts and looks good moving down-hill and shooting gaps, but that's not going to be his responsibility as an ILB in the Ravens defense. He's going to have to take on blockers that are a lot bigger than him, and physically I dont think he will be able to manage. It's hard to shed a block when an offensive lineman has arms that are 4-5 inches longer.

As for Davis, I would be surprised if he goes in the 3rd round. There are probably 12-15 WRs that I have rated higher than him. I guess I just don't see it with him.

@gabefergy

#67 esporter

esporter

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Random question, not sure if this is the place for it.

Do you guys think NFL teams have a department, or some portion of their Scouts, assigned to get a bead on what other teams might do? How do they know how far they'll need to trade up to get a guy, or how far back they can trade without missing out?

Some are obvious... if you want the top QB and the Raiders are on deck you better make a move. And I'm sure there's a ton of guesswork involved. But they must have some sort of inkling about how the rest of the league feels about X linebacker -- other than their own board (and I highly doubt they read mock drafts... or do they?)

Anyone know anything about this?

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

wordsbyevanporter.com

@esporter

#68 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Do you guys think NFL teams have a department, or some portion of their Scouts, assigned to get a bead on what other teams might do? How do they know how far they'll need to trade up to get a guy, or how far back they can trade without missing out?

Some are obvious... if you want the top QB and the Raiders are on deck you better make a move. And I'm sure there's a ton of guesswork involved. But they must have some sort of inkling about how the rest of the league feels about X linebacker -- other than their own board (and I highly doubt they read mock drafts... or do they?)

The answer to the question I believe is definitely yes, in that teams definitely keep track of what other teams are doing, who they are looking at, what needs they have, etc.

Now, is that 1 person or multiple people, or is it just part of the job description of someone I don't know.

I recently just read or saw something about this as well. I'm not sure if it was something on the Ravens website or somewhere else.

@gabefergy

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,600 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I don't know how they go about gathering their intel, but the Ravens definitely base their draft strategy on what they think other teams will do, and often move up or down accordingly.  Moving up a few picks in the 2nd round last year to get Arthur Brown is a very recent example.  There was a specific team in front of them that they thought was going to draft him, so they moved up in front of them and grabbed him.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#70 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

BSL: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

http://baltimorespor...ha-clinton-dix/

He's certainly from the right college and he does fit an need. Will he be available though?

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#71 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

BSL: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

http://baltimorespor...ha-clinton-dix/

He's certainly from the right college and he does fit an need. Will he be available though?

I think he's gone already!

#72 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

I think Clinton-Dix is gone before the Ravens get to him.  Far too many teams ahead of the Ravens need a safety:

Lions, Titans, Rams (2x), Bears are all safety needy.

I've said it a number of times, I think if Clinton-Dix falls, the Ravens run up to pick him at 17.

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#73 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

BSL: First Round OTs Lewan or Martin fit the Ravens?

http://bit.ly/1g10mei

• BSLChrisStoner, McNulty, BSLMikeRandall and 2 others like this
Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#74 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

I think Clinton-Dix is gone before the Ravens get to him.  Far too many teams ahead of the Ravens need a safety:

Lions, Titans, Rams (2x), Bears are all safety needy.

I've said it a number of times, I think if Clinton-Dix falls, the Ravens run up to pick him at 17.

I think the Bears resigned Charles Tillman intending to move him to FS, but yeah, I could see him being gone.
@BSLMikeRandall

#75 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Im thinking this may be the route they go I round one. The quotes ive heard from Harbs at the annual meeting about the line were Zuttah brought in to be the starting center. KO "will be" the left guard. Rick Wager is our RT "as of now". As of now, IMO, meaning until we upgrade. I dont think it will be in FA, I think they address RT early.
@BSLMikeRandall

#76 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

So reading between the lines, you would be surprised if either end up on the Ravens in the 1st round?

This is a draft that is deep at quite a few positions including WR, CB, and OT. 

Admittedly, I have spent the most time studying the WR class, but I do think there are quality OTs that can be found in the 2nd round or later that would be more than adequate at RT. Joel Bitonio, Billy Turner, Juwuan James, Jack Mewhort, and James Hurst are just a few names that come to mind. You might not get an "elite" OT prospect, but they would be more than adequate.

On the other hand, if you wait on WR, I think the position becomes more limited. It's possible that a player taken in the 2nd or later can become a quality player, but IMO the dropoff is much steeper. 

@gabefergy

#77 ShawnBrubaker

ShawnBrubaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

I was high on Clinton-Dix for awhile, but Russ Lande really soured me on him when he joined Sports Tonight.

Overall, an interesting article Mike.... but I think it's really hard to do a 7 round Mock. Even when aware of team needs, just don't see enough guys directly.  1st round, even 2nd round you can make pretty strong estimates... mainly because of all the available scouting reports... once you get past that point, difficulty raises significantly.

What did Lande say about him? I missed that. I loved HHCD's tape though. I was adamantly opposed to a safety until I saw his tape.

@63brubaker
Ravens Analyst BSL
Fat, lazy, sorry couch quarterback

#78 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

No on HHCD.

Ward will be better.

#79 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,001 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

What did Lande say about him? I missed that. I loved HHCD's tape though. I was adamantly opposed to a safety until I saw his tape.

He didn't like him, at least as a top 20 pick. Felt he was being overvalued because it's not a strong FS class.

Personally, I would prefer Ward in R2.

Said it tonight but a WR and Ward would be a realistic best case case scenario IMO.
@BSLRobShields

#80 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 113,769 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Here is the audio... interview is at the 10 minute mark.

http://www.blogtalkr...t-with-rob-mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners