• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#501 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

CBS Sports: MLB Prospect Watch: Meet the Rays prospect who could dictate their trade deadline plans

https://www.cbssport...deadline-plans/

#502 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,860 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

ESPN: Passan: How Wander Franco became MLB's next can't-miss kid
https://www.espn.com...b-next-miss-kid

#503 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

ESPN: Sources: Rays to explore playing in Montreal\https://www.espn.com...laying-montreal

The Tampa Bay Rays received permission from Major League Baseball's executive council to explore a plan in which they would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

#504 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

Under the plan, the Rays would play in new stadiums in both the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, according to sources. The ability to play games early in the season in Florida would preclude the need for a domed stadium, cutting the cost of a new building.

LOL zero percent chance this happens with taxpayer money. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#505 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

Yeah that makes zero sense.

I do badly want the Expos back in Montreal, though.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#506 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,837 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

Yeah. They can't get their crap together for a new park--funded however--in ONE city, and they think they can pull off TWO?

@DJ_McCann

#507 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,140 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

That sounds like a way to ask their current fans not to give up on them during their pennant run this year, while they find a way to escape town. There's zero chance TB ever gets a new stadium in that region. But they will in Montreal.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#508 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

If long-term they do end up moving to Montreal, it will be interesting to see what MLB does with the divisions.

Do they keep 2 Canadian teams in the AL East? If not, put Montreal back in the NL East and send one of the "newer" (Nationals, Marlins) teams over to the AL? I would imagine them sending Miami over would make the most logical sense, but you never knew.

#509 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

If long-term they do end up moving to Montreal, it will be interesting to see what MLB does with the divisions.

Do they keep 2 Canadian teams in the AL East? If not, put Montreal back in the NL East and send one of the "newer" (Nationals, Marlins) teams over to the AL? I would imagine them sending Miami over would make the most logical sense, but you never knew.

I think it makes the most sense to keep Montreal in the AL East.

That's 18 games a year between the two teams. I think an inter-Canada rivalry would work well. Especially between Ontario and Quebec. All of Canada watches the BJs now, I think the BJs/Expos games would be must watch TV throughout Canada or larges swaths of it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#510 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,837 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:01 PM

It'll basically be what they did with the Astros, to have a rivalry with the Rangers.

In the 60s and 70s, it made more sense to have cities/states/regions split between leagues. Now there is far less reason for MLB to care.

@DJ_McCann

#511 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,877 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

They seem to think that if the Rays' new stadium doesn't need a roof (which they say they won't if they only play there thru June) that it will cost less and thus be more feasible.

Montreal it looks like would build a stadium, although not sure they'd do it for just 40 home games a year.

Honestly, pay whatever St. Pete wants to void the lease and get the hell out of there.  It's a disgrace that they have to play in that dump. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#512 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Moderators
  • 8,749 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

They just need to quit Tampa Bay cold turkey and move to Montreal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners