912 replies to this topic

#901 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:12 PM

With the limited payroll commitments the O's having going forward... they'll have the ability to eat Davis' contract if they so choose.
I doubt they will, until / if they are convinced his issues are not correctable.
I still think it's mostly mental for Chris.  Yes, there might some talent regression at play as well.... but I think mostly it's a lack of confidence, and a failure to adjust his approach.

Our payroll could drop easily under $90 million next year I'm thinking. There's room to spread his contract out over 6-8 years and just Bonilla him. I'm sure The Angelos Family could make him an offer to make him go away.

#902 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,665 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:58 AM

Our payroll could drop easily under $90 million next year I'm thinking. There's room to spread his contract out over 6-8 years and just Bonilla him. I'm sure The Angelos Family could make him an offer to make him go away.

Angelos is the dummy who signed him for way more than he actually should have. Bid against himself when no one even pretended they were interested in signing him. Davis is going to be here until the bitter end. They didn’t release Ubaldo, keep giving Tillman chances....Davis will be here until his last AB under contract and it’ll be a K for sure.

#903 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,107 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

Davis: .180 / .255 / .316  (.571)

Post AS: .227 / .302 / .404 (.706)

Can he get the average over .200 to end the year?

Right now he has 78 hits in 433 ab's.

22 remaining games. Say he gets 80 more ab's. 

To finish with a .200 baa, he would have to go 25 for 80 (.313).   (103 hits in 513 ab's.)

Probably not.

#904 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

No, he can't get his average to 200. 

#905 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 101,107 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:56 AM

No, he can't get his average to 200. 

Don't think he will... but he has gone from .167 to .180 over the last 10 games.

#906 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,400 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:00 PM

Don't think he will... but he has gone from .167 to .180 over the last 10 games.

That's 12/40 over those 10 games (which appears to be by far his best 10-game stretch of the year).  If he does that two more times, he'd be at 199.  September of '15 is the only month he's had a 300 average since 2013.

Nothing is impossible.  But I'd put the odds at under 10%.  Probably less.

#907 russsnyder

russsnyder
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:39 AM

He won't get to .200 and he still has a pretty good chance of "beating" Rob Deer for having the lowest BA for qualifiers. ( He is below .180.) I do find it entertaining how excited Hunter gets when Davis hits one on the nose. ( It's a rare occurrence.) What a train wreck of a season for Davis and the club.

#908 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

And if you were Davis, you would accept their offer? You would settle for a portion of your guaranteed contract, rather than all your guaranteed contract? 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#909 mdrunning

mdrunning
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:17 PM

And if you were Davis, you would accept their offer? You would settle for a portion of your guaranteed contract, rather than all your guaranteed contract? 

The Players' Association would undoubtedly have something to say about that.

The only way out of the contract is if Davis were to voluntarily retire.

#910 weird-O

weird-O

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

The Players' Association would undoubtedly have something to say about that.

The only way out of the contract is if Davis were to voluntarily retire.

I understand. I'm just showing him the fallacy of his logic. He's obsessed with Davis, and he truly believes there's a trap door the O's will find to jettison Davis without having to pay him. 

• Mackus likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#911 mdrunning

mdrunning
  • Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:25 AM

I understand. I'm just showing him the fallacy of his logic. He's obsessed with Davis, and he truly believes there's a trap door the O's will find to jettison Davis without having to pay him. 

OK, I guess I came in too late to the party.

I agree about the contract being air-tight. When a contract is submitted to the MLBPA for review, they scrutinize the guarantee language very carefully. Had there been any loopholes, the contract would have been rejected. As you said, there is no escape hatch for the Orioles to rid themselves of the contract.

#912 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

Can anybody randomly drug test this guy? He seems in a relative depressive state from the SI story. Is he on mood altering drugs? Could this invalidate his contract? I would investigate him.

#913 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,400 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

Can anybody randomly drug test this guy? He seems in a relative depressive state from the SI story. Is he on mood altering drugs? Could this invalidate his contract? I would investigate him.

This is a really fucked up thing to say, IMO.  If you delete it, I'll delete this.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners