Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,231 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

Orioles and Scott Boras have met to discuss how Chris Davis can improve

This makes me kind of mad:

Is he even interested in improving?

The short answer is no. That has been apparent for two years. 

I heard on the radio this morning, can't remember which O's writer it was, said the plan for Davis that Elias has been touting starts with, and I'm paraphrasing, getting into the gym and working out. 

I heard that and was like, what? Elias has mentioned "a plan for Davis since the start of last year, and almost a year later we're at "get him in the gym more?  Yeah. Some more bicep curls is just what he needs. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#1042 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:18 AM

The short answer is no. That has been apparent for two years.

I heard on the radio this morning, can't remember which O's writer it was, said the plan for Davis that Elias has been touting starts with, and I'm paraphrasing, getting into the gym and working out.

I heard that and was like, what? Elias has mentioned "a plan for Davis since the start of last year, and almost a year later we're at "get him in the gym more? Yeah. Some more bicep curls is just what he needs.

It should be no surprise that Davis does not want to work with a hitting coach this offseason. I don't believe that there is a clause in his guaranteed contract that requires him to do so.

Further, I doubt that there is much that a hitting coach can do to turn around this awful decline. More importantly,if he does not want to embrace a new approach it would be a waste of time and resources to do so.

I really don't think it would hurt Davis to bulk up a bit more. He has looked leaner the past few years. He might run into a couple of more homers if he gets stronger.

#1043 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Chris Davis adds bulk, but no swing overhaul heading into season

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1044 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,231 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:14 PM

Chris Davis adds bulk, but no swing overhaul heading into season

So he’ll strike out even harder?
@BSLMikeRandall

#1045 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,558 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

His swing may not need to be changed.

His approach may need a change and obviously he’s messed up between the ears.
@BSLRobShields

#1046 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,967 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:39 PM

So the 14 HR he’ll hit this year while going .185 will go about twenty extra feet. Sweet!
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1047 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,560 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

Davis can do / not do anything he wants in the Winter, but Spring is coming.

The Orioles should be able to determine if there are any signs at all which indicate he may rebound to respectability in '20.

If there is not, would be a disservice to the team and Davis to bring him North.

#1048 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

So he’ll strike out even harder?

Yep, except for those many ABs where he'll just stare at strike 3, even though it's a grooved fastball, right down Broadway. 

He seems to think that he's great at making contact, and the only reason he's no longer hitting 50 HRs, is because he trimmed down. 

#1049 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,558 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

In tired of hearing about the money.

It’s spent, move on.

This year is different because you likely will have young players knocking on the door for playing time.

Davis probably makes the OD roster...but with Mountcastle, Nunez (if he keeps it up) and the young OFers ready to be here, it’s going to start to become harder and harder to justify his roster spot, even with 26 players now.

If they trade Mancini, maybe the chances increase of him staying longer but the clock should be ticking now.
  • BSLBobPhelan likes this
@BSLRobShields

#1050 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:14 PM

In tired of hearing about the money.

It’s spent, move on.

This year is different because you likely will have young players knocking on the door for playing time.

Davis probably makes the OD roster...but with Mountcastle, Nunez (if he keeps it up) and the young OFers ready to be here, it’s going to start to become harder and harder to justify his roster spot, even with 26 players now.

If they trade Mancini, maybe the chances increase of him staying longer but the clock should be ticking now.

Sounds right to me.

I am not one of the Davis bashers.  I don't want to read or hear another interview, or piece.  To me it is real simple.  If at May 1, we are seeing the same Davis as we have the past 3 years, let's respectfully thank him for his contributions to the organization and move on. 

@mikeghg

#1051 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

I have the same thoughts as Rob. To this point, there hasn't really been a problem with keeping Chris on the team, and trying to help him get back to some reasonable level of productive contributions. I have thought it was futile to think he'll turn it around, but it wasn't an obstacle for the team. 

Elias initially implied that Davis needs to contribute, or he'll be gone (implied is the key word, because he spoke around the issue). So I was disappointed when he changed his tune and said that contract is too big to just give up on. 

I gotta say, if they keep him around, to the point where he actually is interfering with other players advancing, than I don't think I can continue to say I believe in this post-Peter version of the O's.   

• BSLRobShields likes this

#1052 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

Sounds right to me.

I am not one of the Davis bashers. I don't want to read or hear another interview, or piece. To me it is real simple. If at May 1, we are seeing the same Davis as we have the past 3 years, let's respectfully thank him for his contributions to the organization and move on.

I'm in agreement. That is what needs to happen.

#1053 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

One of the small things to be excited for this season. Moving on from Davis (or some incredible shock as he turns it around).

#1054 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted Today, 09:20 AM

Chris Davis reported to #Orioles camp and just met with the media. He said he considered walking away from baseball at end of last season, but after deliberating with his wife, Jill, ultimately decided against it.

“I still think there is something left in the tank,” he said.

Davis said he put on 25 lbs this offseason training with former #Orioles teammate Craig Gentry. But don't expect a swing overhaul.

"That was something everybody was curious about: Am I going to do anything drastic in the box? The answer is no," Davis said. "I hit how I hit."

https://twitter.com/...406536906268674

#1055 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,558 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Today, 09:21 AM

The follow up to that should have been...but you don’t hit, so how do you expect to get better if you aren’t trying to get better?
@BSLRobShields

#1056 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,231 posts

Posted Today, 09:23 AM

What a joke. Just go away already. 

Every time I see this thread pop up I get excited. Thinking this might be the day! But then nope. He's still on the team.

@BSLMikeRandall

#1057 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted Today, 09:24 AM

The follow up to that should have been...but you don’t hit, so how do you expect to get better if you aren’t trying to get better?

“I don’t care if my average stays well under the Mendoza line as long as I hit a few more dingers”

#1058 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,184 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted Today, 09:30 AM

Davis on retirement: "I know what I’m capable of. I know what I expect of myself. I don’t want to continue to just struggle ... That’s not fair to these guys. That’s not fair to our fans or anyone associated with Baltimore. But I still think there is something left in the tank.” https://twitter.com/...406536906268674

Hope! But then he added...

"The only reason I would’ve walked away was if I physically felt like I couldn’t do it any more," Chris Davis said. "And that was not the case." https://twitter.com/...406536906268674

#1059 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,558 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Today, 09:33 AM

Just say, I’m owed a boatload of cash and I don’t want to walk away from that.

At least be honest about it.

I mean, we heard the exact same bs last year and he managed to be as bad or worse than the year before.

And yet, he doesn’t want to change except adding muscle?
@BSLRobShields

#1060 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,967 posts

Posted Today, 09:37 AM

He absolutely better not be here June 1 if he's still hitting below .200.

Nestor should organize protests if that happens.

No disrespect to Chris Davis the person, but this is about the team continuing to allow him to remain on the roster.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners