• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

Told you I like him better than some of the other options. :)

Don't think you told me... I had written about him being a trade target in Jan 2013.  ;)

My position all Winter was that I was fine with him being in the rotation. That I thought he was a capable back of the rotation guy... but that if 2 starters were obtained, I was curious to see what he could do as a short reliever.

I will say, he has been even better than I anticipated. He's been a bit more consistent then I thought he would be, and also showed a bit more upside vs. what I thought he would bring.

#82 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

Told you I like him better than some of the other options. :)

Don't think you told me... I had written about him being a trade target in Jan 2013.  ;)

My position all Winter was that I was fine with him being in the rotation. That I thought he was a capable back of the rotation guy... but that if 2 starters were obtained, I was curious to see what he could do as a short reliever.

I will say, he has been even better than I anticipated. He's been a bit more consistent then I thought he would be, and also showed a bit more upside vs. what I thought he would bring.

No, I agreed with you when people were talking about who to trade or send to then pen, and I said I liked him a bit more than Gonzalez even though all those back end guys should be similar.

Not disagreeing with what you said.
@JeremyMStrain

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

No, I agreed with you when people were talking about who to trade or send to then pen, and I said I liked him a bit more than Gonzalez even though all those back end guys should be similar.

Ahh gotcha. Missed that.

I'll give Nickle credit. He's been higher on Norris vs. most as well.  Higher than me, and I've considered myself a fan.

My threshold with starters isn't overly high. Especially with guys I peg as mid-to-back end starters. I just want guys that routinely give you a chance to win. Norris has certainly met (and is exceeding) that bar.

Good to see, especially with Hader having success in High A.

#84 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 10,864 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

Ahh gotcha. Missed that.

I'll give Nickle credit. He's been higher on Norris vs. most as well.  Higher than me, and I've considered myself a fan.

My threshold with starters isn't overly high. Especially with guys I peg as mid-to-back end starters. I just want guys that routinely give you a chance to win. Norris has certainly met (and is exceeding) that bar.

Good to see, especially with Hader having success in High A.

Yeah losing Hader hurt me as a fan and personally...so it eases the pain a bit if Norris goes on to do well in his time here.
@JeremyMStrain

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

MASN: Showalter on Norris...
http://www.masnsport...-a-3-2-win.html

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

Orioles.com: Norris day-to-day, expects to make next start

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

CSN Baltimore: Norris' injury may complicate plans

http://www.csnbaltim...e-orioles-plans

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Orioles.com: Norris could return next week for Nationals series

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

MASN: Norris returns to the rotation tonight

http://www.masnsport...on-tonight.html

#90 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

Nice start last night for Norris.  He got the call against Trout with the bases loaded k, but was still impressed he did not give in there. Got Trout again later in the game as well.

#91 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,980 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Got a couple of nice calls, but he was mixing up his location very well, and had good stuff. I was very pleased with Norris yesterday. That Angels lineup is tough as nails when they're clicking... and they're clicking. Norris did a great job.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#92 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,722 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

He allowed his first run in LA last night and has always been very good vs the Angels.  He obviously has a good comfort level against them and in their park.

The Orioles needed him to step up last night.  That was a big and much needed win.

@BSLRobShields

#93 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

Norris is a boss and has been our best starter this year, even as he's been talked about as a tradable, bullpen guy throughout. Better ERA, better WHIP, better K rate than the others.

• Ricker Says likes this
@DaKittenz

#94 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,980 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Norris talking with Thorne after the game last night mentioned that he twisted his ankle before the game and that it was bothering him a little bit. Something to keep an eye on. And something that could help short term with the Ubaldo situation.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#95 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

BSL: Bud Norris Figured Out His Platoon Issues

http://baltimorespor...platoon-issues/

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas, Mashed Potatoes and 2 others like this
@JeffLongBP

#96 Il BuonO

Il BuonO

Opposite Field Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 743 posts
  • LocationGeorgetown, TX

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

I would call it a renaissance for him developing the CH. Credit where credit is due. How many ML players do we often see with weaknesses who are content to play the game at the same level. Norris increased his level of play by working on the pitch that was the weakest in his arsenal. I'm sure he would give some credit to Wallace and Chiti.
  • BSLChrisStoner and JeffLong like this

#97 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,980 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

How many times before Buck got here would you see a crap play like we saw in the 2nd inning last night, followed by the starter/team immediately pack it in for the night?

Bud was off. No command last night. But he battled through and kept them to 3 runs (1 earned). He deserves credit for that.

By the way, you never throw behind the runner like Pearce did on that play.

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

How many times before Buck got here would you see a crap play like we saw in the 2nd inning last night, followed by the starter/team immediately pack it in for the night?

Bud was off. No command last night. But he battled through and kept them to 3 runs (1 earned). He deserves credit for that.

By the way, you never throw behind the runner like Pearce did on that play.

I really don't think the double rundowns was handled that poorly until Manny's throw hit Beltran.  If that throw is clear, he's meat and we get the out at the plate (though Headley probably advances to 3B).  You can throw behind the runner, if he's running back to the base as Beltran was at the time (without having seen a replay since immediately after it happened).  Typically you run at the runner and force him to make a commitment one way or the other.  I thought Beltran was heading back to 3B when Pearce threw it, changed directions, and would've been meat at the plate if Manny hadn't hit him in the head.

After that, everything went to hell.  Norris and Joseph both went for the errant throw, Caleb tossed it back wildly to nobody in particular, and there wasn't time to chase it down and get it to home before Headley scored.

Palmer was all over Schoop for how he handled his first throw, getting rid of it too quickly without forcing either runner to commit.

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,016 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Norris was 4-0 in September... 2.08 era... 30.1 ip, 22 hits, 7 er, 6 hr's, 11 bb's, 34 k's...

Against Detroit in the ALDS... 6.1 ip, 2 hits, 0 er, 2 bb's, 6 k's...

Starts with him today.

#100 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,125 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

Sources: #Orioles may consider moving Norris. Drawing “moderate” interest in Jimenez. Norris projects to $8.7M in arb, per @mlbtraderumors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners