3624 replies to this topic

#3601 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,203 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:04 AM

Finally caught up with It Chapter 2. Long, boring repeat of the first. Some decent scenes but don’t see the reason it had to be made. The first one was solid and stands up on its own. These characters as adults don’t work.

#3602 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,298 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:32 PM

I know Adam Driver is in Star Wars. But I think he’s taken some big steps. Really liked Logan Lucky and BlacKKKlansman. Watched The Report and Marriage Story and he was great in those too. His range is phenomenal. Is he considered A-list in Hollywood? Because he should be.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3603 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,203 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:31 AM

I know Adam Driver is in Star Wars. But I think he’s taken some big steps. Really liked Logan Lucky and BlacKKKlansman. Watched The Report and Marriage Story and he was great in those too. His range is phenomenal. Is he considered A-list in Hollywood? Because he should be.

At this point I think he is based on his past couple years of work.

He was also great in The Dead Don’t Die, a horror-comedy about zombies.

#3604 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:41 AM

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#3605 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

Looks legit.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3606 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

Watched Ad Astra last night. Big fan of James Gray and Brad Pitt but this wasn't one of my favorites from either of them. Very understated film, big events don't seem to register much...maybe that was intentional, but I needed more oomph at certain points. Scenery and visuals are great though, and offers a cool look at what the future of space travel could be. I'd probably give it *** out of **** but closer to ** than ****.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3607 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,203 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

Uncut Gems is great, one of my favorites of the year.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#3608 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

I adored Uncut Gems. May go see it again. Brilliant filmmaking. Frentic pace throughout, always keeping my interest.

I also enjoyed the Richard Jewell film.

Knives Out is ok but nothing special IMO.

#3609 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

1917 is maybe the most beautifully shot film I've ever seen. A real technical masterclass. See this on the big screen. Deakins is a God.
  • NewMarketSean likes this
@DaKittenz

#3610 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,203 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:47 PM

1917 is maybe the most beautifully shot film I've ever seen. A real technical masterclass. See this on the big screen. Deakins is a God.

Seeing it on Friday, looking forward to it.

#3611 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,930 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

Holy cow go to IMDB and check out Roger Deakins cinematography credits it's an amazing list! 14 Oscar Noms and didn't get a win until Blade Runner 2049 unreal!

#3612 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Bad Boys for Life was a lot of fun. Much better than the first one but still doesn’t live up to the original. I’m surprised it’s this good, 17 years since the last one and being released in Dumpuary. 

#3613 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Saw a few movies over the weekend:

Hotel Mumbai - a pit-in-the-stomach movie based on the 2008 Mumbai Attacks. Very well made, if not a tad exploitative. Had that feeling of watching United 93 but with a less nuanced approach. 8/10

American Woman - novel-like movie about a young mother whose daughter vanishes one night and is left to raise her grandson. Sienna Miller is amazing in the movie...deserved an Oscar Nomination. 7/10

1917 - beautifully intense WWI movie and likely Best Picture winner. Doesn't really do much to add to the war film genre, but not many war films are based during WWI and the single-shot approach lends to the urgency of the story. Great performances by the two leads. 10/10

#3614 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,298 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

Saw a few movies over the weekend:

Hotel Mumbai - a pit-in-the-stomach movie based on the 2008 Mumbai Attacks. Very well made, if not a tad exploitative. Had that feeling of watching United 93 but with a less nuanced approach. 8/10

American Woman - novel-like movie about a young mother whose daughter vanishes one night and is left to raise her grandson. Sienna Miller is amazing in the movie...deserved an Oscar Nomination. 7/10

1917 - beautifully intense WWI movie and likely Best Picture winner. Doesn't really do much to add to the war film genre, but not many war films are based during WWI and the single-shot approach lends to the urgency of the story. Great performances by the two leads. 10/10

I saw 1917 last night. I really appreciated the technical aspects of the movie. It was pretty good as a movie if you ignore the filmmaking style. Some things were a bit convenient. 

For the Oscars I hope 1917 wins for best director. Phoenix for best actor (Joker), and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood for best picture. Although I haven't seen Parasite yet and saw they won best ensemble cast at the SAG Awards. 

I've heard that Tarantino is making one more movie, his 10th will be his final one. I'd think with that kind of announcement the Academy would give him the best direction or best picture award he's been snubbed from a few times on his last movie as a farewell gift. Hate that in that case it would look like a token award. Give best picture to him this time around, in a pretty stacked field. Hollywood loves movies about themselves anyway. 

If the three biggest categories cover three different movies, that'll make for a good show. I've seen 6 of 9 best picture noms and I'm just glad there is nothing epically stupid like Shape of Water getting in the way this year. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#3615 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,216 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:33 PM

I went to see 1917 the afternoon of the Ravens-Titans game.

The movie was good and needless to say the best event I attended that day.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#3616 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,203 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 06:32 PM

Rooting for Parasite to win even though OUATIH was my favorite movie of the year. But I’d be happy either way.

1917 is really good but it winning best picture just feels boring. Give Mendes Director and Deakins cinematography and call it a day.

#3617 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

I enjoyed Parasite but it left me a bit cold. It'll win best foreign film.

1917 is gonna win Best Picture. Remember, this is the Academy and they make boring decisions. But since OUATIH is a movie about Hollywood and acting, which the Academy can't get enough of, and QT is long overdue a Best Picture win, don't rule it out.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#3618 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

So. Terminator fans. When can we start talking in deep about Dark Fate? Saw it today.

I watched it last night. I was kinda excited to watch it but it became very clear early on that this is just another whizz-bang-boom "sci-fi action" post-2010 movie with horrible-at-times CGI and no tension or suspense to speak of.

I didn't hate the new direction that they took with the story, although I didn't like replacing Skynet as the threat. I also don't buy into the "woke" angle that people are using to bash the film. There is plenty else to dislike. I just hated how the film was made. It was action-five mins of talking-action-five minutes of talking-action-end. No suspense. No threat. No dread. No story. Basically a rehash of T2 again. It felt closer to a Marvel movie than a Terminator movie. I thought with Cameron back in some capacity that it would feel a bit more grounded and suspenseful like the first two movies. It wasn't. At all.

People were saying this was the best movie since T2? I disagree. This was better than Genisys and not even by that much. Give me T3 and Salvation over this cartoon any day.

Having Hamilton back was awesome, though.

#3619 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,298 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:03 AM

I watched it last night. I was kinda excited to watch it but it became very clear early on that this is just another whizz-bang-boom "sci-fi action" post-2010 movie with horrible-at-times CGI and no tension or suspense to speak of.

I didn't hate the new direction that they took with the story, although I didn't like replacing Skynet as the threat. I also don't buy into the "woke" angle that people are using to bash the film. There is plenty else to dislike. I just hated how the film was made. It was action-five mins of talking-action-five minutes of talking-action-end. No suspense. No threat. No dread. No story. Basically a rehash of T2 again. It felt closer to a Marvel movie than a Terminator movie. I thought with Cameron back in some capacity that it would feel a bit more grounded and suspenseful like the first two movies. It wasn't. At all.

People were saying this was the best movie since T2? I disagree. This was better than Genisys and not even by that much. Give me T3 and Salvation over this cartoon any day.

Having Hamilton back was awesome, though.

I think there was some tension. I have to watch it again but the event in the first minute of the movie is like, ok, you have my undivided attention. The R-Rating helps movies like this.

Agree that the in flight stuff and the last fight didn’t really do it for me. But it felt more like T2 than the others which is good praise though you seem to not think it is. I like Salvation, T3 was too cheeseball and everything is better than Genisys.

If T1 and T2 are 5 stars, this is probably 3, Salvation 2.5, T3 1 and Genisys 0.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3620 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,978 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

I think there was some tension. I have to watch it again but the event in the first minute of the movie is like, ok, you have my undivided attention. The R-Rating helps movies like this.

Agree that the in flight stuff and the last fight didn’t really do it for me. But it felt more like T2 than the others which is good praise though you seem to not think it is. I like Salvation, T3 was too cheeseball and everything is better than Genisys.

If T1 and T2 are 5 stars, this is probably 3, Salvation 2.5, T3 1 and Genisys 0.

Every scene is so chopped up and over edited that there is no tension at all. And when the villain looks like a bad cartoon flying through the air, sorry...that takes me out of the film to notice how cheesy the SFX are.

T3 at least had tension and some great action sequences. The scenes at the vet clinic were pretty tense and the crane truck chase was also well-filmed and executed.

This was one over the top CGI action sequence after another.

It was also filled with stuff stolen from the previous sequels, too. Human/machine hybrid, alt-futures, old terminators, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners