#561 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:50 AM

Was watching the return leg of Man U vs Juve yesterday and it was 0-0  into the second half when we got a HUGE rainstorm. Directv blanked out and I missed the rest of the game meaning I missed all the big stuff. 2-1 for the Red Devils so both teams won their away legs....quite odd for two top teams.

As for the Young Boys.....yeah that's a bit creepy but it came from a good story.

One of Switzerland's oldest clubs, and certainly the most amusingly named (even more than Grasshoppers Zurich). Young Boys were founded in 1897 after four university students put on a game of football against Basel Old Boys Association. Rather than Old Boys, they opted to christen themselves Young Boys - and just to compound the silliness, they duly started playing their games at the Wankdorf Stadium. Enough said.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#562 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:59 AM

Was watching the return leg of Man U vs Juve yesterday and it was 0-0  into the second half when we got a HUGE rainstorm. Directv blanked out and I missed the rest of the game meaning I missed all the big stuff. 2-1 for the Red Devils so both teams won their away legs....quite odd for two top teams.

As for the Young Boys.....yeah that's a bit creepy but it came from a good story.

One of Switzerland's oldest clubs, and certainly the most amusingly named (even more than Grasshoppers Zurich). Young Boys were founded in 1897 after four university students put on a game of football against Basel Old Boys Association. Rather than Old Boys, they opted to christen themselves Young Boys - and just to compound the silliness, they duly started playing their games at the Wankdorf Stadium. Enough said.

Wankdorf Stadium is an amazing name.

Ronaldo's volley yesterday was one of the best I've ever seen. I've never watched a player make perfect contact from that angle where it's coming from behind them. Magical stuff.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@DaKittenz

#563 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,743 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

The Ringer: Tottenham’s Champions League Staying Power Is Put to the Test

SI: PSG, Tottenham Revive Champions League Hopes; Liverpool in Peril

#564 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:09 PM

COYS

bless you PSV 

@fuzydunlop

#565 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,743 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

SI: Champions League Last 16 Draw Unkind to Select Powers, Managers on Hot Seat

#566 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:38 PM

Here's a piece on the Round of 16 that starts next week. Should be some pretty good soccer!

https://www.baltimor...-2019-round-16/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#567 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Kane and Alli are out until at least March. Dortmund should be huge favorites.

@fuzydunlop

#568 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:28 AM

Alli may miss both legs. Kane should miss only the first leg next week and he may return soon. He took some time away to train in warm climate and apparently it went well and he is progressing faster than expected.

On the other side Dortmund's leading scorer Marco Reus suffered an injury Tuesday and had to be subbed off at the half. He may or may not be fit for next week's match. 

Hate to see injuries potentially affecting these high level matches. Better to see these teams at 100%.  Will be interesting to see how the Spurs and Dortmund adjust their lineup/formation/tactics to deal with these missing pieces. The good news for Spurs fans is that they have Mauricio Pochettino pulling the strings. IMO he is one of the top managers in the game right now. Dortmund's manager Lucien Favre is not too bad either but if it comes down to tactical planning then Tottneham gets the nod. If it comes down to talent across the board then Dortmund gets the nod.

Update: Reus is out today in their league match against Hoffenheim. No update on his availability for Tuesday. Also, Pulisic is on the bench so maybe he gets a start on Tuesday?

#569 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,743 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

SI: How Shorthanded PSG Dominated, Dealt Solskjaer's Man United a First Loss

#570 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:02 AM

Man U really took it in the shorts literally yesterday. The played well the first half but the second half they played awful for at least half of it. Down one goal was a hole but the counter scored by MBappe was a huge hole. Then the ref dealt them a death blow. The second yellow card on Pogba was terrible. It was a 50-50 play and I don't think there was a foul committed by either player and certainly nothing to warrant a booking. But now Pogba is out for the return leg and I just don't see Man U recovering down two away goals heading into Paris.

Great match today with Tottenham and Dortmund. Interesting to see how the Spurs come out with Alli and Kane out and how plays up top for Dortmund. But Dortmund is also having some injury issues with leading goal scored Marco Reus out and several defenders are also out.

I think that the injuries are going to about cancel themselves out so give a slight nod to Tottenham being at home.

#571 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

COYS

Vertonghen is fucking prolific

@fuzydunlop

#572 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:32 PM

First half was fairly even and Dortmund had the better chances. Second half...yikes the Spurs poured it on.  Dortmund has a mountain to climb on the home leg. Or more like a cliff.....lol.

And Real Madrid took care of Ajaz in Amsterdam. They should win at home and move on.

#573 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,934 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

Famous loss today for Real Madrid. I've never seen them so bad.

#574 Russ

Russ

• Moderators
  • 8,934 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

This TNT/BR studio show is horrendous.

#575 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:11 PM

Famous loss today for Real Madrid. I've never seen them so bad.

After the first leg, Ajax kinda deserved this result. 

@fuzydunlop

#576 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:52 PM

This TNT/BR studio show is horrendous.

This sounds intriguing. I've never seen a studio show in listicle format before.

@DJ_McCann

#577 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:31 PM

Two of the favorites got sent home yesterday in Dortmund and Real Madrid. Tottenham beating Dortmund is not a real surprise but shocked that Ajax stomped Real in Madrid.  That young team might have some more surprises in them. I think they are too young and dumb to understand the significance of what they are doing.

#578 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:06 PM

Holy crap what a two days of football. Man U comes back from down 2-0 and heading to Paris and pulls off a stunning comeback to win 3-1. So with the aggregate goals tied at 3-3, Man U goes through with away goals.

Porto and Roma tied on aggregate after 90 so they are into 30 minutes of extra time.

#579 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,743 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

SI: Cristiano Ronaldo Rewards Juventus's Faith With Heroic UCL Hat Trick

#580 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:50 PM

Another crazy day for UCL. Bayern Munich hosting Liverpool after their 0-0 draw. Standard stuff. Draw on the road and win at home. Problem is Liverpool didn't get the memo and as we get to extra time they lead 3-1. So they are going through.....not even Bayern is scoring 3 times in the next 3 minutes.

And Barca leads 4-1 so they are through as well. Can't wait for the draw for the next round. Going to be some fantastic matches!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners