#101 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

I don't have time to write a big breakdown, but I'm super excited for it. It will be interesting to see how Denard Robinson fares against our defense. We've had a lot of turnover, but Saban is a master at getting his guys ready to play his system and we still have Nico Johnson, Robert Lester, C.J. Mosely, and Jesse Williams (who can bench press 600 pounds - http://sports.yahoo....300--ncaaf.html).

On offense, they'll give more responsibility to A.J. McCarron, who I think it one of the better pure passers we've had in years, but we'll stay conservative like always. We've got a huge stable of RBs to replace Trent so we should be fine there (Lacy, Fowler, Hart, Yeldon, and Drake). We're a little weak at WR, but I'm excited to see how Mike Williams performs as the go to TE.

Talentwise, I just don't think Michigan stacks up. I'm going to say that the Tide rolls, but it will be closer than many think. Alabama by a TD.

I think Bama wins by 2+ TDs.
  • CrimsonTribe likes this

#102 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

CBS Sports: Crunch the numbers any way you like, SEC will extend BCS streak to 7
http://www.cbssports...streak-to-seven

#103 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

CBS Sports: Bowl Projections
http://www.cbssports...wls/predictions

#104 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I find myself getting more into college fball every year.

I am not a huge college football fan because I dont have a team that I root for. I do appreciate the top level programs in terms of their dominance and things like that.

I am hoping to see a USC/Bama or LSU title game this year.

#105 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

I find myself getting more into college fball every year.

I am not a huge college football fan because I dont have a team that I root for. I do appreciate the top level programs in terms of their dominance and things like that.

I am hoping to see a USC/Bama or LSU title game this year.

Can't get into Duke football?
@levineps

#106 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,471 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Can't get into Duke football?

Duke plays football? I thought they disbanded the program after Steve Spurrier left?

#107 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Duke plays football? I thought they disbanded the program after Steve Spurrier left?

Yeah, they have uniforms and everything :P

#108 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I believe I heard that they actually have a very good QB now.

#109 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Duke does have a good HC.

Interesting SEC game tomorrow night, with South Carolina and Vandy. I like South Carolina to have a real nice year, but think they could be pushed a bit tomorrow in a surprise.

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Sporting News: Week 1 Picks
http://aol.sportingn...gan-boise-state

No. 2 Alabama vs. No. 8 Michigan, 8 p.m. Saturday

Greenberg: Alabama 24, Michigan 14. I don’t buy this idea that the inexperienced Tide will be great from the get-go. This will be a sticky situation well into the second half, although it’s undeniable Alabama’s athletes are better nearly everywhere on the field.

Hayes: Alabama 31, Michigan 16. I keep going back to this undeniable truth: Who on Michigan is going to block the Alabama defensive line, and who on Michigan is going to stand in the way of the Tide’s massive offensive line and running game? The Tide defense will eventually figure out Denard Robinson.

No. 9 South Carolina at Vanderbilt, 7 p.m. Thursday

Hayes: South Carolina 20, Vanderbilt 16. It’s like talking to a child: if you touch that stove, you’re going to get burned. Or in this case, if you’re not focused on the Vanderbilt of now and not the tomato can of years past, you’re going to get burned, South Carolina.

Greenberg: South Carolina 30, Vanderbilt 13. Nobody’s getting burned on Thursday night, OK? Well, the Commodores will get toasted. Nobody’s getting upset, let’s put it that way. James Franklin is calling this game Vandy’s “Super Bowl”—which is awesome—but the Gamecocks will be plenty focused. It won’t be fun to be on the business end of Marcus Lattimore’s fourth-quarter close-out.

No. 24 Boise State at No. 13 Michigan State, 8 p.m. Friday

Hayes: Michigan State 16, Boise State 9. Don’t ask why I’m picking against Boise State. Frankly, I’m an idiot. Not sure anyone has pumped the Broncos like I have over the past five years, and now—just when the rebuilding arrives—I jump off like a scared little man. Shame on me. (Sparty has a really good defense).

Greenberg: Michigan State 24, Boise State 10. I can think of one good reason why you’re picking against the Broncos. They’re going to lose—and, given their alarming inexperience, not for the only time this season. MSU has the best defense in the Big Ten (and it’s not even close), a group that can hit, run and intimidate. Not sure even Kellen Moore would’ve won in Spartan Stadium.

Auburn vs. No. 14 Clemson, 7 p.m. Saturday

Greenberg: Auburn 23, Clemson 6. I’m sorry, but Clemson is pretty easy to game-plan for when it doesn’t have wideout Sammy Watkins. And you just know Brian VanGorder’s defense has been aching for this rematch since last year’s embarrassing defeat. Don’t worry, the other Tigers can still contend in the ACC.

Hayes: Clemson 24, Auburn 21. So Clemson doesn’t have Sammy Watkins. I’ll go one better: Auburn doesn’t have a quarterback. I’ll take Tajh Boyd—Clemson’s real Heisman Trophy candidate last year and this year—in a game where everything else looks even.

Georgia Tech at No. 16 Virginia Tech, 8 p.m. Monday

Greenberg: Virginia Tech 27, Georgia Tech 24. I’ve got these pictures stuck in my head of a 14-0 Yellow Jackets lead, a nervous buzz throughout Lane Stadium and, ultimately, a launching-pad comeback for the Hokies—with quarterback Logan Thomas establishing himself as a Heisman contender. Now watch it all unfold EXACTLY like that.

Hayes: Virginia Tech 24, Georgia Tech 23. A night game at Lane Stadium, a conference rival and nine months to prepare for the triple option. What does it all mean for Virginia Tech? Defense and special teams win the day, even though Georgia Tech makes it interesting late.

Southern Miss at No. 17 Nebraska, 3:30 p.m. Saturday

Hayes: Nebraska 33, Southern Miss 16. If only we could have played this thing a year ago, when Southern Miss had an experienced, dangerous quarterback. Now, it could be true freshman Anthony Alford, who didn’t win the job (junior Chris Campbell did) but clearly has the most talent of the group competing for the job.

Greenberg: Nebraska 27, Southern Miss 13. It’ll be tight into the fourth quarter, but a motivated defense will rise up and Rex Burkhead will close it out with a late TD. That’s a blueprint the Huskers wouldn’t mind following all season long.

Washington State at Brigham Young, 10:15 p.m. Thursday

Hayes: Washington State 34, BYU 30. I have a pretty good idea what Mike Leach’s first play call will be: Four Verticals. And a pretty good idea what 70 percent of his play calls will be: Four Verticals. Go ahead, BYU, stop it.

Greenberg: BYU 31, Washington State 30. Look at that, our scores are so similar. Except that I’ve got the right team winning. I think the two-touchdown point spread in this game is ridiculous—it’ll be one of the most exciting games of Week 1—but it’s not all about Leach. Crunch time is Riley Nelson time. Got a feeling the BYU quarterback is going to come up big.

Tennessee at North Carolina State, 7:30 p.m. Friday

Hayes: Tennessee 27, NC State 20. Don’t count me among the group that thinks the Big Orange sky is falling because the Vols lost a troubled, selfish wide receiver who may or may not be the best wideout on his own team (hello, Justin Hunter), much less the SEC. This season means much more to Derek Dooley than one player.

Greenberg: Tennessee 24, NC State 17. These three hours will be well-spent by all involved. Don’t know if either team has a Cinderella season in it, but I’m expecting both the Vols and the Wolfpack to play harder in 2012—to show more commitment—than they did in 2011. The Vols have enough of an edge along the lines that they should pull out the win.

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

SI: Preseason Crystal Ball
http://sportsillustr...l?sct=cf_t11_a0

National Title Game:

3 picking Alabama vs. USC
2 picking LSU vs. Oregon
1 picking LSU vs. USC
1 picking FSU vs. USC

Surprise Team:

3 votes for Utah
1 vote each for Stanford, USF, Clemson, NCST

Flop Team:

2 votes for Arkansas
1 vote each for Maryland, Texas, ND, FSU, and Nebraska

Conference Newcomer That Will Fare Best in Year 1:

6 votes for West Virginia
1 vote for Missouri

Best Bet to Bust the BCS:

4 votes for LaTech
1 vote for Boise State, Ohio, Houston

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,471 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Flop Team: Maryland

H. Anderson
Is it cheating to pick a team that recorded a 2-10 mark in 2011? Is a flop still a flop if the flopper in question never rises from a prone position? We'll have lots of time to answer these deep philosophical questions while waiting for Maryland to record a win against an FBS football program.

Ouch....even I don't think it will be THAT bad.

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

ESPN's Herbstreit picking USC vs. FSU, with FSU winning the National Title.

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

South Carolina and Vandy tied at 10 in the 3rd Quarter.

#115 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

NCST & Tennessee tomorrow from Atlanta.

Boise St @ Michigan St as well...
http://sports.yahoo....617--ncaaf.html

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

South Carolina and Vandy tied at 10 in the 3rd Quarter.

Connor Shaw came back in for South Carolina, and they drive the field. Lattimore crosses the end zone, and with the XP they go up 17-13 with 11:25 left in the 4th.

#117 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,540 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Connor Shaw came back in for South Carolina, and they drive the field. Lattimore crosses the end zone, and with the XP they go up 17-13 with 11:25 left in the 4th.

This has been a better game than I thought it would be... very well played defensively.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#118 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Duke does have a good HC.

Interesting SEC game tomorrow night, with South Carolina and Vandy. I like South Carolina to have a real nice year, but think they could be pushed a bit tomorrow in a surprise.

Good call my friend.

Franklin has that team playing well since he took over.

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Mike Leach about to Coach his first game for WSU.

There will be a lot of Terps fans running into traffic, if he makes an instant difference for WSU in the Pac 12.

#120 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Mike Leach about to Coach his first game for WSU.

There will be a lot of Terps fans running into traffic, if he makes an instant difference for WSU in the Pac 12.

If by "traffic" you mean "Kevin Anderson's office, with pitchforks and torches", yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users