662 replies to this topic

#641 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

He gave up that homer on a hanging changeup and that double, but outside of that he pitched well yesterday.  

Apparently he's sticking with offspeed - that is something he has to do going forward if this is his 4-seamer. 

#642 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

I'm glad he's changing his approach to combat his lesser fastball. Better chance of long term success by changing his stripes than by refusing to accept his current limitations. He's always been a very smart pitcher.

#643 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

Bundy was supposed to start tomorrow.  He is no longer starting and no reason has been given.

Im guessing an injury or giving him extra rest after 2 straight bad starts.

@BSLRobShields

#644 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Brandon Hyde says the Orioles are pushing Dylan Bundy back, but not due to an injury. It has to do with lining up the rotation after the All-Star break. They have to prepare for John Means to pitch in that game. Bundy will start later this week & the first game after the break.

@BSLRobShields

#645 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:27 PM

At least yesterday's abysmal start may have an excuse...he is now on the IL with a knee injury.

Probably takes him off the board to be traded.

@BSLRobShields

#646 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,663 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:34 AM

Enters today... 

5-13, 5.03 era. 

24 starts, 127 ip, 125 hits, 25 homers, 43 bb's, 129 k's

Numbers better vs. LHH...

Coming off a nice start vs. KC.   Sure would be nice to see him finish on a little run. 

#647 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:10 PM

Nathan Ruiz said Bundy was hitting 93 tonight.

Also, his ERA is 3.99 since Aug 1.
@BSLRobShields

#648 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:42 AM

I (still) go back and forth on Bundy.

At some point you need to have some leadership for a younger group of guys coming.  Bundy seems more like that guy that maybe Gausman did.  

Having to learn to pitch without elite stuff can be a benefit for showing others (with better stuff) how to get it done.

Still, it's hard to be consistent if you are only at 89-90.  Velocity drop is odd given his age still.  Good to see him up a little tonight.  I was hoping he'd be the one guy that could jump up with some of the analytics applications and it feels less, not more.

If you want to extend him, now is the time.  You buy low, not high.

#649 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

You don’t extend him. I don’t see why you would do that.

I wouldn’t trade him just to trade him. He’s not a salary dump or anything like that.

You need to get value for him but I don’t think you can great value.

You certainly don’t trade him for what you dealt Cashner for but you also don’t expect top 100 guys either.

Something like multiple Baumann type guys seems about right to me.
@BSLRobShields

#650 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,786 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:05 AM

You don’t extend him. I don’t see why you would do that.

I wouldn’t trade him just to trade him. He’s not a salary dump or anything like that.

You need to get value for him but I don’t think you can great value.

You certainly don’t trade him for what you dealt Cashner for but you also don’t expect top 100 guys either.

Something like multiple Baumann type guys seems about right to me.

Bundy takes the ball when his turn comes up, and competes, which has value to the current Orioles.  Like you said, trade him, if you get decent value.  No to giving him away, for what we got for Cashner.

I am at the point, where I am tired of the Orioles fielding players, that have no business playing in the majors.  Bundy is a major league pitcher.

@mikeghg

#651 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

I wouldn't extend him but probably not trading him either. He's cheap as far as starting pitching goes and we have him for two more years. We should have a better idea come the end of next season what the trajectory of the team is looking like and whether Bundy could be a factor for the next quality club.

#652 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:12 AM

I'd deal him if we get a halfway decent offer.

He's a borderline SP at best.  Any good team would be looking to upgrade over him even if he's in the #5 spot.  At Arb-3 and Arb-4 prices (my guess is $5M for 2020), he's not a particular bargain.

Agree with Rob that a Cashner-like package isn't enough return to make the move, but it wouldn't take a top-100 guy for me to move him.  Two guys in the 6-15 range of a decent system would likely be a good trade for us.

#653 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

Correct me if I am wrong here but Mackus I believe you were one of those who was anti tanking and wanted to see them pursue Ws.

How does dealing Bundy in any way help that? He's our second best starter. I agree he's not good but what do you replace him with? I guess we do have Cobb back next year but still. Do you think you can get a better SP for $5M?

#654 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

Correct me if I am wrong here but Mackus I believe you were one of those who was anti tanking and wanted to see them pursue Ws.

How does dealing Bundy in any way help that? He's our second best starter. I agree he's not good but what do you replace him with? I guess we do have Cobb back next year but still. Do you think you can get a better SP for $5M?

I am all for cashing in present value for future value. I don't think tanking (losing) generates any tangible future value. Trading away current assets can. I'm against losing on purpose and against cutting payroll for no benefit of anyone other than the Angelos family. I absolutely do not believe any money saved this season ever finds its way back into the team.

There are probably a hundred or more SP who are better than Bundy. And maybe another hundred that are more or less equal. If we try to replace him (and our other SP holes) with Gabriel Ynoa that would make me upset. If we try to replace him with next year's version of Nate Karns I'd be ok with that and hope for better results. And I think we can likely find other guys on 1 year deals who are largely indistinguishable from Bundy. If we can get a couple prospects with an outside shot at being a contributor, I make that trade without hesitation.

#655 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,728 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

There is zero chance that there are 200 starting pitchers as good or better than Bundy.
@BSLRobShields

#656 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:43 PM

Not as good or better than. The second hundred are all the same basically. Your #4s thru your #6s. Backend thru swing guys. Those guys are up and down all the time year by year. Going from someone generally at the front of that pile (Bundy) to someone at the back (take your pick), doesn't really change much. I'd rather have 2 mid-level prospects.

#657 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

The questions are several:

1. Can you get some value in trading Bundy that has some reasonable expectation to help the O's down the road? Not talking lottery picks! I am not trading Bundy for a crapshoot.

2. Can you get one of those basically equal pitchers to come to Baltimore AND for less money than Bundy.

If the answer to both isn't yes then I wouldn't trade him. Now clearly the better you feel about the trade return the less question #2 is an issue.

#658 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

I think those two questions are completely unrelated to each other.

You trade Bundy if you think you're getting something promising for the future. It's not like having Bundy around will be the difference between 2021 being a winning season or not. He's not capable of being that level of difference maker. We all know that. He's just a guy at absolute best. Whatever upside he used to have no longer exists.

#659 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

I think those two questions are completely unrelated to each other.

You trade Bundy if you think you're getting something promising for the future. It's not like having Bundy around will be the difference between 2021 being a winning season or not. He's not capable of being that level of difference maker. We all know that. He's just a guy at absolute best. Whatever upside he used to have no longer exists.

So you are ok then with losing? If you can't replace Bundy with equal or better than you have accepted the long term improvement over the short term loss.

#660 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,052 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

So you are ok then with losing? If you can't replace Bundy with equal or better than you have accepted the long term improvement over the short term loss.

I'm absolutely ok with long-term gain at the cost of short-term loss.  Have very consistently stated that.

What I'm not ok with is losing on purpose with non-intriguing guys in hopes of acquiring a higher draft pick.  I'm also not ok with saving money on payroll if that money isn't ever going back into the team.  So I think spending a relatively large amount of short-term money on passable MLB guys to fill the gaps we have is better than putting the Gabriel Ynoa's of the world out there.

I've got no problem with losing when roster spots are being filled by guys with potential future value.  I can find enjoyment in watching young guys with promise even if the results are bad.  I do not enjoy watching guys with no promise similarly struggle.  I'll take real MLB players and hopefully a more passably watchable team over AAAA journeymen with no future if all it costs us is a bit of profit coming out of Angelos pockets and a few draft slots, neither of which I think are actual costs to the future of the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners