638 replies to this topic

#621 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

Movie & MMA Analyst

• Moderators
  • 7,905 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:41 PM

I'm sticking with my prediction that the analytics will help Bundy more than any other current pitcher on the big league club.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLRobShields and JeremyStrain like this

@PhelanToTweet

#622 Thirteen

Thirteen
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Should have traded him years ago when he was a hot prospect.

#623 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,673 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

Should have traded him years ago when he was a hot prospect.

There was really no point in time when he should have been traded, IMO, except for with complete hindsight. Could have after 2012, I suppose, when he was a top 10 prospect in baseball (#2 by BA), but I don't recall anyone supporting that idea back then. He got hurt in early 2013 and never regained enough value to be worth trading relative to his upside. Definitely would've been nice to cash out of the Bundy stock before it dropped, but just don't think there was really ever a realistic window. There were no red flags prior to his injury in 2013 and subsequent troubles recovering.
  • JeremyStrain, DJ MC and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#624 BSLNateDelong

BSLNateDelong

MiL Analyst

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

I agree that trading Bundy a couple years ago was not a realistic strategy. The team was (very) competitive, and his value wasn't all that high coming off of his injuries. He was good (even great) in spurts, but didn't (and still hasn't) put together an entire full season of great pitching. I don't think the Orioles would have gotten much for him. At this point, I think the team needs to just keep having him start, hope that he turns himself into a trade chip this year or next.

• BSLChrisStoner and weird-O like this
@OriolesPG

#625 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:21 AM

Baltimore Sun: Bundy makes 2019 debut Sunday looking to rediscover the pitcher he once was

https://www.baltimor...0330-story.html

Bundy had a 3.75 era after his June 23rd start in Atlanta last year. That night he rolled his ankle on the bases, and was crushed the remainder of the season. That was followed by a rough Spring. If he rebounds this yr, he'll have some trade value. Has to reduce the homers.

#626 BSLBobHarkins

BSLBobHarkins

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:25 PM

BSL: Examining The Woes Of Dylan Bundy

https://www.baltimor...es-dylan-bundy/

• BSLChrisStoner and Don Quixote like this

#627 jamesdean

jamesdean

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:12 PM

From what I've seen over the past several years is that Bundy just has lousy command with really good stuff.  He continually leaves balls in the heart of the zone and major league hitters are going to crush those.  If he was throwing 100 MPH, maybe he'd get a way with that but he doesn't and thus, you get the ugly results start after start.  He's got a good arm but is a lousy pitcher.  Plus, pitching in Camden Yards hasn't done him any favors.  When the reclamation project is over, Bundy will be long gone and a career E.R.A. hovering around 5.00. 

#628 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

Sad to see but it is what it is. Bundy is probably at best a back end guy now.

#629 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,673 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:20 AM

As others have said, command is the problem.  Stuff is ok.  Pitchability is great.  Control is good.  Command is terrible.

You can learn command, so I don't think all hope is lost.  But he seems to be going backwards, which is problematic.  Velocity could be a big part of that.  His velocity charts show a pretty stark drop around midseason last year.  Whatever the cause, the results are that he's not getting away with the mistakes at lower velocity.  Even a half MPH is a huge drop for a pitcher, so this is a big deal if he can't tick back up.

• FFH likes this

#630 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:53 AM

I think it's time they look at moving Bundy to the bullpen.  He clearly has the stuff for 1-2 times through the lineup, but not more. He could be very effective in a relief role. 

#631 weird-O

weird-O

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:16 AM

I'm sure the new regime is going to take their time with DB, and really get to know him as a pitcher. And given the lack of starting pitchers, they'll probably leave him in the rotation. But he's only here for 2 seasons, beyond this one. If they can't find a way to help him reach the expectations of him, when he was drafted, they should move him to the BP. If that's how things play out, I would do it next spring. If they can convert him to a lights out reliever/closer, he'd be a valuable trade chip at the 2020 deadline. Anyone acquiring him would get him thru 2021. So he wouldn't be a 2 month rental 

• sandiegosean likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#632 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:19 PM

Not sure that three months of being a stout reliever would bring as much trade chips as some might think. Certainly his value is much better if he can get his shit together as a starter but if he can't get it going this season then I guess there's really no downside to seeing what he can do from the bullpen.

#633 weird-O

weird-O

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:03 AM

Not sure that three months of being a stout reliever would bring as much trade chips as some might think. Certainly his value is much better if he can get his shit together as a starter but if he can't get it going this season then I guess there's really no downside to seeing what he can do from the bullpen.

For me, it's not really a question of how much the O's could get in return. Because DB the starting pitcher wouldn't draw any interest at all. But DB the reliable reliever would bring something in return. The alternative is to just let him ride out the next 2.5 seasons, then walk away.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#634 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,673 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 11:24 AM

We're not there yet, but I think a non-tender is more likely than a meaningful trade return.

#635 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 109,084 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:23 PM

Baltimore Sun: Bundy has lowest career fastball velocity

https://www.baltimor..._hgapeDepzR6fXo

#636 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,781 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:29 PM

We're not there yet, but I think a non-tender is more likely than a meaningful trade return.

:-(

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#637 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,463 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Meoli:

Dylan Bundy's fastball averaged 89.8 mph today, the lowest average of his major league career. Season-low was 90.3 mph on April 6; career-low was 89.9 on April 26, 2017. #Orioles
@BSLRobShields

#638 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

WTH has happened to his fastball? He doesn't have plus command and now his FB is sub 90. The dingers will continue to pile up. He seems to know how to pitch. Limits the number of hits he gives up, in fact his BAA is .244 and his WHIP is 1.30. Not real good but no horrible. But his 2.45 HR/9 innings is a killer.

#639 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81,463 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Is he throwing mostly the cutter now? That will be slower than his 4 seamer.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners