#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

http://baltimorespor...n-running-back/

Who has the edge? If Harbaugh is true to his word, Rice will likely be taking a back seat. Favorable matchup this week to get the run game going against the Bears.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I don't think it's truly an open competition.  At least not for any sort of long term job.  Pierce may get more carries this week, but I still think Rice gets the bulk of the snaps moving forward, especially once they think he's fully healthy.

And there is no such thing as a favorable matchup for this running game, IMO.  Every defense in the league is better than our running game, even if that defense isn't very good at stopping everyone else's running game.  We're getting the worst offensive line play I can ever remember watching.

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,137 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Open competition only since Harbaugh said snaps played will be performance based.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Open competition only since Harbaugh said snaps played will be performance based.

I can see that evolving during the game.  But I think Rice will get the first shot every game going forward, unless he gets injured further. 

While I agree that Rice hasn't looked great this year, I really think that the major problem is the offensive line.  Rice hasn't made people miss the few times he's gotten good blocking or the ball in open space, but I don't think that he's permanently lost a step or is entering a rapid decline that some RBs experience. 

I'm very high on both he and Pierce, and while neither have been fully healthy for very much time this season, I put much more blame on offensive line than their injuries and certainly more than I just blame them for playing poorly.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I can see that evolving during the game.  But I think Rice will get the first shot every game going forward, unless he gets injured further. 

While I agree that Rice hasn't looked great this year, I really think that the major problem is the offensive line.  Rice hasn't made people miss the few times he's gotten good blocking or the ball in open space, but I don't think that he's permanently lost a step or is entering a rapid decline that some RBs experience. 

I'm very high on both he and Pierce, and while neither have been fully healthy for very much time this season, I put much more blame on offensive line than their injuries and certainly more than I just blame them for playing poorly.

The line is clearly the issue, and I do agree Rice will continue to get opportunities.... and I personally don't think he has lost a step (or 3)... I think he is playing hurt regardless of what he says. I think we can evaluate him next year when the line figures to be better, and he has had a chance to really heal.

Right now, I want to see Pierce get the majority of the carries. If you can go from the running game providing nothing to something... maybe the Ravens can do enough over these next 7 games to get back to the Playoffs. Pierce did look better than Rice Sunday.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Pierce did look better than Rice Sunday.

I agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is better right now, just that he had the better game, maybe because he performed better in his opportunities or maybe just because of random occurrence of the chances he got being more likely to succeed for whatever reason.  The week before, both looked awful, averaging under 2 yards per carry (though Rice had twice as many attempts).

I have no problem with switching to Pierce if he's running better in a given game.  Or going with him almost exclusively if Rice is actually too injured and that's holding him back.  But personally, I don't think we'll see any improvement in the running game simply from switching the runner or the ratio of snaps between the two.  I think the offensive line has to play better or else no matter how healthy the backs get or who is carrying the rock, they'll have awful numbers. 

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I tend to think Rice has lost a step. I saw signs of decline last season, and I think it has become even more apparent this year. He just doesn't display the same power and balance that has been his calling card in year's past. He has forced a pathetic 5 MT this year, and the only reason the numbers between him and Pierce look similar is because he has gotten better blocking at times. Pierce is doing more with less (14 forced MT and more long runs) and has even been a better receiving option that Rice, although he hasnt been targeted nearly as much.

The OL is clearly a big part of the problem, but Pierce just looks better when given the opportunity. If there will ever be a chance for our running game to click it will be against this dreadful Chicago defense. Hopefully, one or both of them will have a big game for us.

• 1970 likes this
@gabefergy

#8 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Pierce isn't that good either. Who knows if he is 100% healthy but as much as we talk about Rice losing a step(he certainly has) Pierce also is not the same runner he was last year.

To be clear, the OL is by far the biggest issue here. We all know that. I just don't think Rice or Pierce have been good either.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 111,148 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Pierce isn't that good either. Who knows if he is 100% healthy but as much as we talk about Rice losing a step(he certainly has) Pierce also is not the same runner he was last year.

To be clear, the OL is by far the biggest issue here. We all know that. I just don't think Rice or Pierce have been good either.

He (Pierece) hasn't looked good... but he did look reasonably good Sunday. First time we saw something positive from one of the backs in weeks.

Agreed again that everyone knows the OL is the biggest issue.

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

He's still looked much better than Rice, which is more of an indictment of Rice's play than praising Pierce.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners