Atlanta Braves

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

#581 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:47 PM

CBS Sports: Braves sign reliever Will Smith to three-year deal in first substantial move of MLB free agency
https://www.cbssport...lb-free-agency/

The Braves now have a solid bullpen w/ Smith and ODay.  Now get Madison B., resign Donaldson and get ready for spring training. 

#582 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:17 AM

The Braves now have a solid bullpen w/ Smith and ODay.  Now get Madison B., resign Donaldson and get ready for spring training. 

You have to really like where the Braves are right now.

They've done a great job of acquiring and developing talent.

Pache and Waters are both at AAA this year and the Braves should have a LF-Waters, CF-Pache, RF-Acuna OF soon enough which is a great defensive OF and should be a monster offensively too.

Freeman is a FA after 2021 so the next order of business is to get hi extended too, but I think that is fairly easy.  They have no money issues and it's an easy sell to him and for him.

Albies and Swanson up the middle are solid and controlled.

The question is what do they do with Austin Riley?  If you don't want him to play 3B, then there's no-where for him to play (he was terrible in the OF this year and they have others guys pass him out there anyway)

Personally, I think Moustakas is probably a better fit there gioven his LHed bat and there general need to put another LHed bat in there with Freeman....they have some decisions and it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Also interesting that they let Teheran go.  I think MadBum is the good fit there right now.  Apparently Will Smith is from that area and there was an interview with Melancon tonight on how they are pretty comfortable making the roles work however (that's good for ATL).  Bumgarner is a legit front for the group of kids they have there and if you want the Playoff Pitcher, he's your guy.

• OldSchool likes this

#583 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,195 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:23 PM

Signed RHP Chris Martin to a 2/$14M contract.

#584 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

You have to really like where the Braves are right now.

They've done a great job of acquiring and developing talent.

Pache and Waters are both at AAA this year and the Braves should have a LF-Waters, CF-Pache, RF-Acuna OF soon enough which is a great defensive OF and should be a monster offensively too.

Freeman is a FA after 2021 so the next order of business is to get hi extended too, but I think that is fairly easy.  They have no money issues and it's an easy sell to him and for him.

Albies and Swanson up the middle are solid and controlled.

The question is what do they do with Austin Riley?  If you don't want him to play 3B, then there's no-where for him to play (he was terrible in the OF this year and they have others guys pass him out there anyway)

Personally, I think Moustakas is probably a better fit there gioven his LHed bat and there general need to put another LHed bat in there with Freeman....they have some decisions and it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Also interesting that they let Teheran go.  I think MadBum is the good fit there right now.  Apparently Will Smith is from that area and there was an interview with Melancon tonight on how they are pretty comfortable making the roles work however (that's good for ATL).  Bumgarner is a legit front for the group of kids they have there and if you want the Playoff Pitcher, he's your guy.

Riley started hit and cooler off like an ice cube by August. They will probably start him in LF. Nick M. will be in RF until one of the prospects is ready. 

If Donaldson is too $$$ Moose is a perfect fit.

Teheran is an innings eater. He could help the O's. 

The thing I like is the Braves are doing these moves now and not in March. 

#585 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

Riley started hit and cooler off like an ice cube by August. They will probably start him in LF. Nick M. will be in RF until one of the prospects is ready. 

If Donaldson is too $$$ Moose is a perfect fit.

Teheran is an innings eater. He could help the O's. 

The thing I like is the Braves are doing these moves now and not in March. 

The Braves are selling their brand which is good for them.

I don't see Riley in the OF.  They'll put Inciarte in CF until they want Pache and Nick and Adam Duvall will play opposite Acuna until they want Drew Waters.

Duvall, Culberson and Carmago is a good bench.

Listened to AA the other day...his answers were "solve 3B, add a starter and need a catcher to pair with Flowers"

I think signing Moustakas is a pretty easy move given the other things they may want to do and they leaves Riley as trade bait to build more system depth.

Sisco is actually a good fit there.

#586 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Listened to AA the other day...his answers were "solve 3B, add a starter and need a catcher to pair with Flowers"

...just signed Travis d'Arnaud for 2/16

#587 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

...just signed Travis d'Arnaud for 2/16

It is an OK signing. 

I just like that the Braves are not screwing around and waiting until March. 

#588 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,661 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

Signed Hamels to 1/18. No Mad Baum for them I guess?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLRobShields

#589 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,647 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

FanGraphs: Marcell Ozuna is Headed to Atlanta

#590 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF