#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

http://baltimorespor...e-quarter-mark/

How does the defense stack up through four games, and on a defense with some big names, a surprising player grades out as the best thus far.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,313 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Good stuff, Mike.

I can't provide the type of in depth analysis that you can, but I'll say that the defense is not my major concern with this team.  I didn't think it would be a problem heading into the season, so maybe this is just confirmation bias, but I remain confident that the defense will be between adequate and good and give the offense ample opportunity to win games.  I'm less confident that the offense will play well enough to win, though the acquisition of Monroe will help the offensive line which is, by far, the weakest link on the team through the first four games.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,308 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Good stuff, Mike.

I can't provide the type of in depth analysis that you can, but I'll say that the defense is not my major concern with this team.  I didn't think it would be a problem heading into the season, so maybe this is just confirmation bias, but I remain confident that the defense will be between adequate and good and give the offense ample opportunity to win games.  I'm less confident that the offense will play well enough to win, though the acquisition of Monroe will help the offensive line which is, by far, the weakest link on the team through the first four games.

Acquisition of Monroe can also help the defense, if the offense can be more productive - having more time on the field, giving the defense more of a break etc.

#4 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,318 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Good stuff, Mike.

I can't provide the type of in depth analysis that you can, but I'll say that the defense is not my major concern with this team.  I didn't think it would be a problem heading into the season, so maybe this is just confirmation bias, but I remain confident that the defense will be between adequate and good and give the offense ample opportunity to win games.  I'm less confident that the offense will play well enough to win, though the acquisition of Monroe will help the offensive line which is, by far, the weakest link on the team through the first four game

Thanks, Mackus.

I wasn't worried about out defense either. But there was a little uncertainty with all of the turnover from last year from the national media, for some reason. (2012: Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are old and slow. 2013: How in the world can they possibly replace Ray Lewis and Ed Reed?).The Cleveland and Houston wins we're definitely reminiscent of many wins from that 2000 season. I too am less confident in our offense since the running game is going no where. We'll see how Monroe does, and if Harbs holds true to that statement of wanting to get Rice 20 touches a week. Sure Flacco had a stinker last week, but he has one of those a year, and hopefully that was it. 

I guess despite how poorly they played last week, they only lost by a field goal, and once again the defense shined in the 2nd half. I don't see Flacco or the offense playing as poorly as they did last week again this year. They aren't Jacksonville bad. If the offense can just be average, find a balance instead of throwing 50 times, the defense will win us an ample amount of games like you said. 

If the addition of Monroe gets the running game going, it makes the play action a better option. Flacco has had much better success running play action than when he doesn't. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners