#101 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

I am not sure that is his ceiling but its probably close to it. However, we need to remember that once he moved up to 5th he had zero hitting behind him in Trumbo and/or Davis. So there is some protection he could have gotten and that gives him some potential for a bit better numbers. 

Protection is nonsense. 

I could see Mancini progressing to a 3-4 WAR guy depending on his defense and maintaining time at COF. 

#102 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

Protection is nonsense. 

I could see Mancini progressing to a 3-4 WAR guy depending on his defense and maintaining time at COF. 

So essentially what we thought Nolan Reimold would be?

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, dude and 1 other like this

#103 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

So essentially what we thought Nolan Reimold would be?

Yes, good comparison.  Except Trey had better numbers in the upper minors at slightly younger ages.

They had almost identical lines in their first MLB action.

Trey at 25 y/o:  293/338/488/826 (120 OPS+), 24 HR in 586 PA

Nolan at 25 y/o: 279/365/466/831 (116 OPS+), 15 HR in 411 PA

Reimold walked twice as much (11.4% to 5.6%), which is the major difference.  Trey had a higher BA but that could be largely due to an unsustainably high 352 BABIP (Nolan's was high, too, but less dramatically so at 316).  A little more power for Trey (195 to 187 ISO), but quite close.  Trey also played in a slightly lower run environment, hence the higher OPS+ despite a lower raw OPS.

I think Trey will learn to draw more walks.  He had a very low walk-rate this year, but I think he has a good approach at the plate.  I think he'll see his walks increase to something more in line with the league average (8.5%) as he gains experience. 

I think someone like Mark Trumbo is Trey's floor and someone like Jason Bay is Trey's ceiling.

• MDtransplant757 likes this

#104 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

I actually thought Trey played a decent LF. 

Nothing you are going to write home about, but he consistently made the routine plays and looked comfortable doing it.  While I'd prefer he be a DH with some versatility to cover LF/1B/RF....putting him out there everyday isn't going to hurt you.

I'm generally against pounding pegs into the wrong hole, but he made it work ok this year.  So good for him.

#105 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

He was good enough that he can be penciled in for either corner OF spot if that's where it shakes out depending on the guys we bring in.  And I don't see the team doing much to upgrade over Mancini and Hays in the corners.  Perhaps a platoon bat to pair with or bridge some time to Hays.  When you give this team an easy out with a solution that's passable, they usually take it, rather than push the envelop and try to upgrade.  Not that I necessarily think the team should spend resources trying to upgrade over those particular options, just a general observation.

#106 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

Comparing Mancini and Reimold is nuts. Mancini actually played to his potential and more importantly stayed on the flied. Nolan Reimold was a flop from a injury perspective. Never could figure out why the O's kept bringing him back injury after injury.

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Comparing Mancini and Reimold is nuts. Mancini actually played to his potential and more importantly stayed on the flied. Nolan Reimold was a flop from a injury perspective. Never could figure out why the O's kept bringing him back injury after injury.

Pretty clearly comparing them after their first MLB seasons, which they reached after having similar draft profiles, similar performance in the upper minors, played at the exact same age and had very similar numbers in somewhat similar playing time.

• BSLBobPhelan and dude like this

#108 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

2 words. Brady Anderson. He loved Nolan Reimold. 

#109 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

2 words. Brady Anderson. He loved Nolan Reimold. 

This one is interesting in that Mancini gives Brady full credit for changing his swing and making his career. 

#110 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

This one is interesting in that Mancini gives Brady full credit for changing his swing and making his career. 

He really should be a coach/strength and conditioning and not a front office role

#111 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

He really should be a coach/strength and conditioning and not a front office role

Don't disagree with you there. 

#112 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

Named a finalist for Rookie of the Year.

#113 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

I'm happy for him. Dude is going to be a stud muffin in the coming years. That and he's my grandmother's favorite player. She'll be playing solitare on her iPad when I have the game on, and she'll peak up when she sees Trey go to bat or make a good play in the field. "He has a good head on his shoulders and is down to earth." 

#114 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

Finished 3rd in ROY voting.

#115 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

BS that he finished behind Bettintendi. 

#116 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

BS that he finished behind Bettintendi. 

Agreed. The Boston bias is real.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#117 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,885 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Benitendi had a 2.2 fWAR...Mancini was at 1.8.

It could have gone either way.
@BSLRobShields

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:00 AM

Mancini obviously had the better offensive numbers.  Benintendi obviously superior defensively.  I think it's fair to think Benintendi had the better season.  Trey's up about 50 points of OPS with the bat, easy to think that a decent CF / good LF is worth that much or more with the glove compared to an average-to-below LF / decent 1B.

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,127 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Mancini obviously had the better offensive numbers.  Benintendi obviously superior defensively.  I think it's fair to think Benintendi had the better season.  Trey's up about 50 points of OPS with the bat, easy to think that a decent CF / good LF is worth that much or more with the glove compared to an average-to-below LF / decent 1B.

If Mancini was in Boston, he would have finished second, and Benintendi third.

No chance that doesn't happen.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#120 MDtransplant757

MDtransplant757
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Benitendi had a 2.2 fWAR...Mancini was at 1.8.

It could have gone either way.

How come people use fwar isntead of BBwar? What's the difference between the two?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners