#361 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

Dont worry. Adley to the rescue. The real question is going to be does Sisco's bat play well enough that he can stick given his defensive weaknesses and if so just where do you play him?

Can you keep him as a backup catcher?

Can you DH him?

Can he play any other field position?

Certainly the O's are pondering these questions and are working all the angles to figure it out.

I would play him some at 1st, and third.  Maybe even try him at second.  

A utility guy who can go behind the plate has value.

@mikeghg

#362 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,268 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

If he can catch well enough to have made it to this level behind the plate, then I'm pretty confident he can handle another position given some time.

3B, 2B, LF...would be nice if he doesn't have to be only another cog in the potential 1B/DH carousel.  

Bigger question for Sisco is the bat.  He's gotta start hitting.  Good patience and pop this year, but the hit tool has abandoned him and that's the one thing I thought he'd have no issues with.  So hopefully that part is a fluke of a small sample and the other stuff remains.

#363 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Sisco doesn’t have a terribly unlucky BABiP(but it’s still a little low) but I think the batted ball stats suggest his BA should be better.

However, I doubt they suggest his BA should be much higher than 250 and we should expect better than that.

Despite that, his OPS is still 98 and his wRC+ is 98.

#364 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

2019: .210/.333/.395 (.729), 7 doubles, 8 HR, 20 RBI, 167 AB

#365 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 05:41 PM

Balt Sun: ‘Big progress’: Chance Sisco’s work with renowned hitting instructor has Orioles, catcher feeling confident

#366 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

Balt Sun: ‘Big progress’: Chance Sisco’s work with renowned hitting instructor has Orioles, catcher feeling confident

Good for him that he went to a hitting guru, to work his swing.  That is his ticket to staying in the majors.

@mikeghg

#367 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

Nice to hear. Pulling for him!

#368 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

Absolutely.

Have to root for the guy.

Keep putting in the work kid.

#369 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:23 AM

MASN: Even during short season, the search for MLB success goes on
https://www.masnspor...ss-goes-on.html

#370 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

Sisco needs to hit.  If he is not a solid major league hitter, he has no role on a major league team.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#371 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 07:00 PM

3 walks for Sisco today, also thought he called a good game behind the plate.

#372 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

Had his 2nd start last night. 

Agree with Ben McDonald.... he's a little too passive at the plate.  Needs to be a bit more aggressive about hunting fb's earlier in counts.

Does have a nice swing though, shown on his liner into center. 

#373 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 06:55 PM

How this season is playing out to this point is why I wanted the Os to consider a position change for Sisco. He's not getting the lion's share of starts behind the plate and twice now he's been pulled in the middle of games to enter a defensive replacement. He had the fewest ABs on the team entering the game but he walks and while extremely small SSS is 3 for 8.

As I was typing this Hyde said he wanted to keep Siscos bat in the game but wanted to pinch run for more speed.

#374 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

How this season is playing out to this point is why I wanted the Os to consider a position change for Sisco. He's not getting the lion's share of starts behind the plate and twice now he's been pulled in the middle of games to enter a defensive replacement. He had the fewest ABs on the team entering the game but he walks and while extremely small SSS is 3 for 8.

As I was typing this Hyde said he wanted to keep Siscos bat in the game but wanted to pinch run for more speed.

The problem is the O's already have too many potential future everyday players with no position. Just where would you put Sisco if not at catcher?

1B - Already have Mancini and Mountcastle (even if Mountcastle can move to LF). 

2B -  Already have Alberto there. Is Sisco likely to be a better overall hitter and defender there?

LF - Already have a dang near an entire OF of guys who are questionably defensively.

So I agree that Sisco needs to be getting much more time but I think it has to be at C. But clearly Hyde does not value him there. But since they haven't tried to put him anywhere else either tells me they are just not that sold on his bat. If they thought his bat was going to be that good they would find a way to get him in the lineup.

#375 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

I think they should try to make him into a 1B/DH that can be an emergency third catcher. Then try to expand his role into a guy that can play LF and/or maybe 2B in a pinch.

#376 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

I think they should trade him in the offseason to the Angels.

I don't have a goal of pounding every peg into a hole regardless of whether it fits or not.

#377 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

I think they should try to make him into a 1B/DH that can be an emergency third catcher. Then try to expand his role into a guy that can play LF and/or maybe 2B in a pinch.

Ok then what are you doing with Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, etc. ? There are only so many at bats so who are you not playing to try this?  But I'll go back to my previous point. Don't you think that if Hyde has seen some good promise with his bat that he would find a way to get him in the lineup in ways beyond C. The fact that he hasn't tells me he doesn't think his bat plays everyday unless its at C.

#378 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

Ok then what are you doing with Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Nunez, etc. ? There are only so many at bats so who are you not playing to try this? But I'll go back to my previous point. Don't you think that if Hyde has seen some good promise with his bat that he would find a way to get him in the lineup in ways beyond C. The fact that he hasn't tells me he doesn't think his bat plays everyday unless its at C.

LF - Mountcastle
1B - Mancini
DH - Nunez
C - Severino
2B - Alberto

Agreed playing time would be tough but injuries and days off, pinch hitting, maybe a platoon at DH with Nunez. I feel like you can get creative. The other option is to feature him as much as possible and then trade him to the NL with the implementation of the universal DH.

#379 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

LF - Mountcastle
1B - Mancini
DH - Nunez
C - Severino
2B - Alberto

Agreed playing time would be tough but injuries and days off, pinch hitting, maybe a platoon at DH with Nunez. I feel like you can get creative. The other option is to feature him as much as possible and then trade him to the NL with the implementation of the universal DH.

Nunez may be a non tender candidate next year.  

• BSLBobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#380 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

Nunez may be a non tender candidate next year.

Or a trade candidate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users