#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,952 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

http://baltimorespor...-brian-billick/

As I mentioned before, Coach Billick was at Dempseys last week. I came away with some great stories. Here are the highlights on Ray Lewis, Coaching again, Studio vs. Commentator, the 2003 draft, and more.

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLRobShields, MKlein76 and 5 others like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

Not a Ravens fan but that was really cool. Thanks for posting.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this

@AdamWolff

#3 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Awesome. Just read this to some friends at the Banks and we all ate it up. Still have fond memories of Billick.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,341 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Miss Billick..he was great.

Had heard him tell that Ray story before.
@BSLRobShields

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Bothers me that Ozzie didn't know Billick was fired. Hate how Bischotti and Cass handled that whole thing. My only complaint of Bischotti. Not that it was a bad move, but it was handled unprofessionally.

#6 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Bothers me that Ozzie didn't know Billick was fired. Hate how Bischotti and Cass handled that whole thing. My only complaint of Bischotti. Not that it was a bad move, but it was handled unprofessionally.

Probably because Billick wasn't necessarily the most professional with the brass. Not much of a corporate guy, unlike Harbs. Still, I agree with you. Two wrongs don't make a right.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Probably because Billick wasn't necessarily the most professional with the brass. Not much of a corporate guy, unlike Harbs. Still, I agree with you. Two wrongs don't make a right.

How is Ozzie not in on the firing of the HC. Just baffling. Would love to know that whole story.

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

How is Ozzie not in on the firing of the HC. Just baffling. Would love to know that whole story.

Agreed. My guess is Ozzie wouldn't have fired him and Steve knew it. 100% unfounded speculation though obviously.

#9 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,952 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

The craziest thing I took from it was the fact that because someone at the NFL didn't answer the phone, we end up with Terrell Suggs instead of Byron Leftwitch. That worked out well.
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

The craziest thing I took from it was the fact that because someone at the NFL didn't answer the phone, we end up with Terrell Suggs instead of Byron Leftwitch. That worked out well.

Yeah interesting dynamic there. We get Leftwich and we surely don't get Suggs. However, we also lost our pick the next year because we moved up to get Boller. NE ended up taking Wilfork at 21 the next year and Im willing to bet we would have took him there too.

So Boller and Suggs or Leftwich and Wilfork.

I do think we would have made the playoffs from '03-'05 with Leftwich. He was never very good,  but he was better than Boller. Billick probably survives past '07 season.

But then who knows how the trickle down unfolds from that point on. Probably don't get Ngata. Quite possibly don't get Flacco in '08. Obviously, I think we have to be happy with how things unfolded but man it makes you wonder how things go from '03 forward if there isn't that SNAFU.

#11 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Great stuff, Mike. Love that note about Mickelson. I like him a little more now that I know that.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,865 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Good Stuff, have heard Billick in person a few times.  He knows how to capture a room.  If you ever get a chance to hear him, do it.  Funny and informative.

@mikeghg

#13 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,952 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

Good Stuff, have heard Billick in person a few times.  He knows how to capture a room.  If you ever get a chance to hear him, do it.  Funny and informative.

Bruce Cunningham mentioned that he did one of these with Matt Stover not long ago, and he had to fish for questions by the end of it because Matt is a man of few words. Certainly not the case when it comes to Brian Billick.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners