@BSLMikeRandall

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

It cut off the reply from the Dodgers, though it appears it might say "you said you'd call..."

• Ricker Says and BSLMikeRandall like this

#83 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,204 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

I have a friend that was born in SD and was a life long Chargers fan and he has given them up.

Its tough on the city to see this happen and its only happening so Spanos can make even more money.

Now, it is fair to point out that he has given the city so many chances to improve the stadium but why not just sell them?  or buy the damn stadium yourself?

@BSLRobShields

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,354 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

I have a friend that was born in SD and was a life long Chargers fan and he has given them up.

Its tough on the city to see this happen and its only happening so Spanos can make even more money.

Now, it is fair to point out that he has given the city so many chances to improve the stadium but why not just sell them?  or buy the damn stadium yourself?

You answered your own questions in the previous paragraph.

@DJ_McCann

#85 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

The Spanos/Chargers situation reminds me a bit of Modell/Browns...both tried long and hard to get a deal, neither really wanted to leave, but had little choice in the very end. Obviously the comparison ends at the point where instead of going to Baltimore, which badly wanted the NFL and embraced Modell with a sweet deal, Spanos is going to a stadium he has to be the "other NFL team" in, and a market he has to share that has mostly been indifferent towards his team (despite being separated by just 120 miles).

#86 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,204 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

Anthony Lynn will be named head coach.
@BSLRobShields

#87 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,117 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

The Spanos/Chargers situation reminds me a bit of Modell/Browns...both tried long and hard to get a deal, neither really wanted to leave, but had little choice in the very end. Obviously the comparison ends at the point where instead of going to Baltimore, which badly wanted the NFL and embraced Modell with a sweet deal, Spanos is going to a stadium he has to be the "other NFL team" in, and a market he has to share that has mostly been indifferent towards his team (despite being separated by just 120 miles).

I'd be curious what Spanos' financial situation is in today's NFL where all the owners are Jerry Jones'. Something tells me he's doing just fine, where as Modell had to get a loan from the bank just to be able to get Andre Rison a signing bonus. In Modell's era you could go out of business, left flat broke. I don't think any NFL owner could go broke even if they tried today.
@BSLMikeRandall

#88 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

I'd be curious what Spanos' financial situation is in today's NFL where all the owners are Jerry Jones'. Something tells me he's doing just fine, where as Modell had to get a loan from the bank just to be able to get Andre Rison a signing bonus. In Modell's era you could go out of business, left flat broke. I don't think any NFL owner could go broke even if they tried today.

I don't know enough about Spanos' background outside the Chargers. I read the franchise is likely worth a little over $2 billion now, and the move to LA could push that over $3 billion. But it's all relative when comparing to Modell over 20 years ago. Art could have sold the Browns and been fine, just as Spanos could sell if he has major cash flow problems. But obviously both were determined to keep their franchises. And new stadiums run well over a billion dollars today, while M&T was built for a little over $200 million, IIRC....the Ravens and the MSA have probably spent almost half that initial construction cost just to do upgrades over recent years. So even with exponentially higher franchise values and revenues, Spanos may be in no better place to just build his own than Modell would have been in Cleveland.

EDIT: As to your last sentence, it's not the NFL and it's been several years, but does the name Frank McCourt ring a bell?  :wink:

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:56 AM

His dad built a real estate development company from scratch and became a billionaire, and used that cash to buy the Chargers in 1984. So that is the money the Spanos family is dealing with.

So in Dean's case, born on third base...
@DJ_McCann

#90 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,667 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

Must be nice. Most of us are born in AA
  • DJ MC likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#91 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I think this is all fair to point out besides the last part. I don't think there should have been any expectation for LA football fans to adopt the Chargers.

I grew up a Skins fan, but DC is significantly closer to Baltimore, and I don't think that many Baltimore people became fans of theirs. Heck, Philly is closer to Baltimore and they didn't become popular in Baltimore at all.

#92 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

I think this is all fair to point out besides the last part. I don't think there should have been any expectation for LA football fans to adopt the Chargers.

I grew up a Skins fan, but DC is significantly closer to Baltimore, and I don't think that many Baltimore people became fans of theirs. Heck, Philly is closer to Baltimore and they didn't become popular in Baltimore at all.

I was thinking about something similar last night, thinking what if Baltimore got a second NFL team...I know it would never happen, but it's strange to think about. The more appropriate scenario would be the Ravens coming in 1996 and then a second team coming in 1997. I know Baltimore and LA couldn't be more different, but for the sports fan who roots for LA teams, what do you do?

That's why I do think playing in the Galaxy stadium is a good idea, it's more intimate and the smaller venue creates demand for a product that has very little of it currently.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I have a feeling the Chargers will be back in SD within the next 10 years when the city misses NFL football and builds a stadium. You can only sit on the beach for so long...

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was thinking about something similar last night, thinking what if Baltimore got a second NFL team...I know it would never happen, but it's strange to think about. The more appropriate scenario would be the Ravens coming in 1996 and then a second team coming in 1997. I know Baltimore and LA couldn't be more different, but for the sports fan who roots for LA teams, what do you do?

Some people would be fans of both teams.  Others would be fans of just one.

I've got friends/family who root for NY area teams.  Some root for both the Jets and Giants (though have a prefered team for when they play each other) and others root for just one of the teams.  Although, interestingly, for my small set of acquaintances, while there are multi-team fans for football there aren't for baseball.  Everyone is either a Mets fan or a Yankees fan with nobody pulling for both.

#94 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,354 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Must be nice. Most of us are born in AA

There's a Coors Light joke in here somewhere.

@DJ_McCann

#95 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,667 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

Some people would be fans of both teams.  Others would be fans of just one.

I've got friends/family who root for NY area teams.  Some root for both the Jets and Giants (though have a prefered team for when they play each other) and others root for just one of the teams.  Although, interestingly, for my small set of acquaintances, while there are multi-team fans for football there aren't for baseball.  Everyone is either a Mets fan or a Yankees fan with nobody pulling for both.

My roommate in law school was from Long Island.  He rooted for the Yankees and Mets.  Rooted for the Jets.  Loathed the Giants.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#96 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

I wasn't really trying to suggest LA should have adopted the Chargers when the Rams and Raiders first left. More just pointing out that despite the relatively close proximity over the previous 20 years, the Chargers don't really have as much of an inroad to LA as some may think. I did read a while back that the Chargers claim that somewhere around 15-20% of their season ticket base is in Orange County, but that's not entirely telling....they may mostly be from San Clemente, which is 50-50 in terms of distance between the two cities.

#97 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

I wasn't really trying to suggest LA should have adopted the Chargers when the Rams and Raiders first left. More just pointing out that despite the relatively close proximity over the previous 20 years, the Chargers don't really have as much of an inroad to LA as some may think. I did read a while back that the Chargers claim that somewhere around 15-20% of their season ticket base is in Orange County, but that's not entirely telling....they may mostly be from San Clemente, which is 50-50 in terms of distance between the two cities.

Ok. Well if the Eagles had moved to Baltimore, I don't think it would have mattered that Baltimore area fans hadn't shown interest in them before.

I think there are several reasons to be concerned about how this will work out, but don't think that's one of them.

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

LA Times: Chargers' move shows California is over spending public money on the NFL

This column barely touches on what I think is important to its overall tenor. The people/politicians in huge media markets, like LA and SF, have more leverage with owners because they know the owner can recoup a lot of their stadium investment in both the value of their franchise and other local revenues. Owners in mid-to-small markets, like San Diego and Sacramento, or ones who are second-fiddle in a big market (Raiders/A's) don't have that benefit and therefore either have to extort more public money to keep up with the big market teams....or they leave.

#99 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,204 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

http://www.espn.com/...rs-need-surgery
@BSLRobShields

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,932 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

The Big Lead: The Chargers Couldn't Even Fill StubHub Center For Their First Game In Los Angeles
http://thebiglead.co...in-los-angeles/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners