#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

http://baltimorespor...eport-game-one/

Who helped themselves, and who hurt themselves in making their case for a role on the Ravens. We got a nice extended look at the 2nd and 3rd teamers tonight. A lot of fringe guys made big plays. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,005 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

How about Asa Jackson? He made a couple of big plays.

@gabefergy

#3 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

A little worried about our WR corps. I'm hoping we still add a vet prior to the regular season.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

He can't play until midseason, so it really doesn't matter too much what he does.

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

I purposely omitted him since he's going to miss 8 games. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Looks familiar

http://www.baltimore...-a3ee3b927890

@BSLMikeRandall

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,731 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:56 AM

Stock down...Cody.

Mike...iyo, should Cody make the team? Just don't see how he can.
@BSLRobShields

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 108,047 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Stock down...Cody.

The biggest takeaway I had on Cody last night was the Ravens announcers relaying the Coaches comments of Cody having a strong camp, and moving better after his surgery.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80,731 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

The biggest takeaway I had on Cody last night was the Ravens announcers relaying the Coaches comments of Cody having a strong camp, and moving better after his surgery.

He sucks in the game...can't keep someone that can't do the only job you ask them to do.
@BSLRobShields

#10 DanBryden

DanBryden
  • Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

This tweet from Matt Vensel:

https://twitter.com/...638267888082944

Follow me on Twitter: @All22Bryden

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

Stock down...Cody.

Should he? No. Will he? Probably makes the 53-man, but could be inactive on game days if he doesn't get better. The Ravens just don't save much money by cutting him.

In his defense, he wasn't pushed back as often albeit against Tampa's second stringers. There were a couple plays off tackle or sweeps where he got to the edge and was right there as the ball carrier was there.

Slight improvement, but I need to see more.

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

I noticed that too. I couldn't understand why Sandusky had such glowing comments for Cody. Most of what we've heard about him hasn't been incredibly positive. Meanwhile Brandon Williams showed well in his first action. I'd be surprised if Cody made the roster at this point.

Daryl Smith was impressive. I wonder if the Ravens would have still pursued him if Rolando McClain didn't retire?

The young receivers were a mixed bag which was to be expected. I've said before that LaQuan will end of making this team because of his Special Teams ability but he also showed some skills in the pass game. His name usually gets lost in this competition and probably shouldn't.

Asa did make some nice plays. I wonder if he will do enough for the Ravens to keep him knowing they will be without him for half a season.

Bobby Rainey made a strong case again for his inclusion on the roster. Good burst.

#13 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Codys base salary is 630k. If cut, his dead money is 754k against the cap. According to spotrac.
@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Codys base salary is 630k. If cut, his dead money is 754k against the cap. According to spotrac.

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly, if you are implying that it would cost the Ravens more against the cap to release him than to keep him.  I don't know what spotrac is calculating to get that dead money cost, plus I thought they only put that if someone actually has already been released to keep track of money counting against a team for players that are no longer on the roster.

Cody is due $630k in base salary if on the roster this year, and in addition to that has 1/4 of his $1.12M signing bonus to still count against the cap ($280k).  The $280k applies whether he is on the team or not.  The $630k base will only apply if he is on the opening day roster.

So on the team he counts $910k against the cap.  If cut, he counts $280k against the cap.  So they would save $630k by cutting him.  Of course they'd then have to fill that 53-man spot with at least the rookie minimum, which is $405k, so they'd only save a maximum of $225k by giving Cody's roster spot to someone else.

• Ricker Says likes this

#15 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,697 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I don't think you're interpreting that correctly, if you are implying that it would cost the Ravens more against the cap to release him than to keep him.  I don't know what spotrac is calculating to get that dead money cost, plus I thought they only put that if someone actually has already been released to keep track of money counting against a team for players that are no longer on the roster.

Cody is due $630k in base salary if on the roster this year, and in addition to that has 1/4 of his $1.12M signing bonus to still count against the cap ($280k).  The $280k applies whether he is on the team or not.  The $630k base will only apply if he is on the opening day roster.

So on the team he counts $910k against the cap.  If cut, he counts $280k against the cap.  So they would save $630k by cutting him.  Of course they'd then have to fill that 53-man spot with at least the rookie minimum, which is $405k, so they'd only save a maximum of $225k by giving Cody's roster spot to someone else.

I dont know where that dead money number spotrac lists came from.

I interpret that total he is $910k against the cap on the team, like you said. If they cut him, he would then cost that $754k dead money against it. A savings of a slim $156k.

Miller could shed some light here I'm sure.
@BSLMikeRandall

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I dont know where that dead money number spotrac lists came from.

I interpret that total he is $910k against the cap on the team, like you said. If they cut him, he would then cost that $754k dead money against it. A savings of a slim $156k.

Miller could shed some light here I'm sure.

Unless about half of his base salary for this season was guaranteed as part of his rookie deal (which seems wildly unlikely), then I think that $754k number is bogus and he'd only cost $280k against the cap if cut.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,243 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Figured out how they calculate the $754.5k.

His signing bonus was $1.12M.  The contract had total guarantees of $1.5945M.  So of his base salaries, between 2010 and 2013, $474.5k was guaranteed.  That $474.5k plus the remaining $280k of bonus money due against the 2013 cap is....$754.5k!

I highly, highly doubt that all of that guaranteed money came in Year 4 of his deal.  Spotrac doesn't have any breakdown for it, so it just assumes it's all still due, but that's not likely to be the case.  His cap hit, if cut, will be $280k plus whatever remains of that $474.5k of guaranteed money.  My guess is all of that has been paid out already ($320k Year 1 fully guaranteed, $450k Year 2 partially) and it's just the $280k in remaining bonus money to cut him.

#18 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,005 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

He can't play until midseason, so it really doesn't matter too much what he does.

For him, it matters more than pretty much anyone else on the roster. 

@gabefergy

#19 primetime

primetime

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

I don't think most people thought Jacoby Jones could be a #2 WR but just in case it needs to be said, Jacoby Jones can't be a #2 WR. His hands aren't good enough, ditto for his route running.

I put most of the blame for the interception on Jones. Given the circumstances (3rd and 12), the WR has to sell that route, drive the CB past the sticks, stick his foot in the ground, then come back and get to the football. By sort of rounding off the route just a pinch past the sticks, you're inviting the CB to jump the route.

If it was a quick out to short side of the field, the QB definitely has the responsibility of reading the CB and making the decision whether or not to make the throw. However, when throwing a deep out to the opposite sideline, that's a ball that has to travel a while in the air, the QB has to trust that his WR is going to get to that ball.

Derrick Mason was so good at that deep out/hitch because he was such a crips route runner and he could sell the CB on a 9 route or deep post, then break it off and get to the ball. Jacoby Jones doesn't have that in his skill set.

• ChrisWorthington likes this
@primetime667083

#20 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

I don't think most people thought Jacoby Jones could be a #2 WR but just in case it needs to be said, Jacoby Jones can't be a #2 WR. His hands aren't good enough, ditto for his route running.

I put most of the blame for the interception on Jones. Given the circumstances (3rd and 12), the WR has to sell that route, drive the CB past the sticks, stick his foot in the ground, then come back and get to the football. By sort of rounding off the route just a pinch past the sticks, you're inviting the CB to jump the route.

If it was a quick out to short side of the field, the QB definitely has the responsibility of reading the CB and making the decision whether or not to make the throw. However, when throwing a deep out to the opposite sideline, that's a ball that has to travel a while in the air, the QB has to trust that his WR is going to get to that ball.

Derrick Mason was so good at that deep out/hitch because he was such a crips route runner and he could sell the CB on a 9 route or deep post, then break it off and get to the ball. Jacoby Jones doesn't have that in his skill set.

Agree on Jones. Nothing in his track record suggests he can handle the WR2 role. On the INT...I just saw that as Flacco's trust in his arm coming back to bite him. Usually it doesn't -- watch the Super Bowl and you'll find so many plays when he trusts his arm strength and it resulted in big plays. But sometimes it'll bite him.

@BSLLukeJackson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners