Indianapolis Colts

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 CantonJester

CantonJester
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

Luck will be in the XFL next year. He’s made his money, His dad is Commish, and he’ll bring eyes to the league for pops and easily be MVP and league champion.

Not a chance. Dude has a degree from Stanford in Architecture. He’s got about $100 million in the bank. And he will remember his children’s names.

#202 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:22 PM

Not a chance. Dude has a degree from Stanford in Architecture. He’s got about $100 million in the bank. And he will remember his children’s names.

Agreed, a QB like Luck as no business in  the XFL

He has a better chance of wrestling Gronk at Wrestle Mania.

@mikeghg

#203 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Yeah even if he came back next year and kinda wanted to play again, he will leave a lasting impression and make more change by NOT coming back.

Showing just how short of a shelf life you have in the NFL, encouraging guys to bank that cash and get out while they are still functional.

I mean if this was a RB cashing out and quitting at 30 would we 2nd guess it? That's about when we are all ready for them to be cut. QBs, especially good ones can have another 10 years in them, but Luck just made 4-5th year QBS outrageously expensive. They are going to be looking for STUPID huge payouts once they finish that rookie deal, and stop expecting that another contract will come after this one.

This move is going to change the financial market in the NFL, mark my words.

• Mike B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#204 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

Yeah even if he came back next year and kinda wanted to play again, he will leave a lasting impression and make more change by NOT coming back.

Showing just how short of a shelf life you have in the NFL, encouraging guys to bank that cash and get out while they are still functional.

I mean if this was a RB cashing out and quitting at 30 would we 2nd guess it? That's about when we are all ready for them to be cut. QBs, especially good ones can have another 10 years in them, but Luck just made 4-5th year QBS outrageously expensive. They are going to be looking for STUPID huge payouts once they finish that rookie deal, and stop expecting that another contract will come after this one.

This move is going to change the financial market in the NFL, mark my words.

Signing Bonus $$ are going to be looked at in an entirely different way.

@mikeghg

#205 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

Yeah it's ALL going to change so much, I can't even completely wrap my head around it. I'm debating writing something about it for my Accounting/Finance Master Thesis.

@JeremyMStrain

#206 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

No they aren't.  Teams are already protected against this.  The Colts could recoup the signing bonuses if they wanted to.  Instead they are letting him keep it, either out of sheer altruism/gratitude or in an attempt to encourage him to end the retirement in a year or whenever.

#207 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:52 AM

No they aren't.  Teams are already protected against this.  The Colts could recoup the signing bonuses if they wanted to.  Instead they are letting him keep it, either out of sheer altruism/gratitude or in an attempt to encourage him to end the retirement in a year or whenever.

They will just structure things differently is the point he's making. Like it's been shifting recently to more guaranteed money, things are going to change again if players start thinking they've got ONE good contract in them, not 2.

@JeremyMStrain

#208 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,267 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

By the letter of the law, I agree, but if the Colts were to ask for $$$ back, they would get roasted by public opinion. 

Organizations don't like to deal with that.

@mikeghg

#209 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:11 PM

By the letter of the law, I agree, but if the Colts were to ask for $$$ back, they would get roasted by public opinion. 

I think there's a lot more to the overall story we don't know. They were very willing to let a LOT of money go. I don't know if he had more guaranteed money on the table, or if keeping the almost $25m was in exchange for making it official now and not just going on IR, getting paid and then doing it later. Or if there's a lot more to this injury we don't know about or what, but something definitely feels left out of the story.

@JeremyMStrain

#210 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:26 PM

I think there's a lot more to the overall story we don't know. They were very willing to let a LOT of money go. I don't know if he had more guaranteed money on the table, or if keeping the almost $25m was in exchange for making it official now and not just going on IR, getting paid and then doing it later. Or if there's a lot more to this injury we don't know about or what, but something definitely feels left out of the story.

Its the organizations fault that he is in the pain he is and is retiring.

I am sure they realized this and just let him have it.

@BSLRobShields

#211 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Its the organizations fault that he is in the pain he is and is retiring.

How do you figure?
@BSLMikeRandall

#212 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,088 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

How do you figure?

Shitty drafting, shitty development, built a terrible OLine...continued to employ Grigson despite him not doing a good job at all protecting the most important asset on the team.

Basically, total incompetence across the board.   He took so many hits because of this.

• DJ MC likes this
@BSLRobShields

#213 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,364 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:01 AM

Shitty drafting, shitty development, built a terrible OLine...continued to employ Grigson despite him not doing a good job at all protecting the most important asset on the team.

Basically, total incompetence across the board. He took so many hits because of this.

Seems like a stretch. He was one of the least hit QBs in 2018. In 2016 he was near the top, 2014 and 15 was middle of the pack which is just the nature of the game, IMO. Last year he had one of the best pass blocking units in football.

If he doesn’t think the risk is worth the reward, fine. Some guys want to wear the T-shirt. Some guys want to wear the ring. He wants the T-shirt. Fine. I’m not gonna pretend to know the influences behind his decision. But the fact that the timing is as poor as it could possibly be for everyone in the Colts organization and the fan base can’t be ignored. So I get the anger from some in that regard. But I also see the sympathy from others.
@BSLMikeRandall

#214 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

I don't know.  The Lions got Barry Sanders's bonus money back.  Calvin Johnson's, too.  I don't remember them being roasted.

#215 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

Basically, total incompetence across the board.   He took so many hits because of this.

Don't forget little to no running game.

#216 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,593 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

ESPN: 

Colts running back Marlon Mack, who was 92 yards shy of a 1,000 yards rushing despite missing four games last season, is already up to 127 yards on 13 carries after scoring on a 63-yard touchdown run to cut into the Chargers' lead, 24-16, with 7:40 left in the third quarter.

The Colts special teams has been atrocious in the first half against the Chargers. Denico Autry's penalty on a field goal gave the Chargers a first down in which they scored a touchdown two plays. Adam Vinatieri has missed an extra point and 46-yard field goal. And punter Rigoberto Sanchez had a punt blocked, in which the Chargers turned into more points, as they lead the Colts 17-6 at halftime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners