#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

http://baltimorespor...epth-chart-4-0/

It's been a while since we have visited the depth chart. Preseason games are just around the corner. Here's an updated look at where they stand, plus whose stock is rising and falling.

• BSLRobShields, MKlein76, BSLChrisBacon and 2 others like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Isn't Simon with the OLBs? From the glimpses I have seen from the Live Feed, he was with the OLB group. I'm not sure if that changes his "competition" with Tyson as they are still both looking to secure a roster spot, but I dont think they are in direct competition for the same position.

Just a couple of other notes, I have read/heard nothing but praise for Tandon Doss thus far. I think he is a guy that will be even more involved in the offensive plan with Pitta going down. He has the skillset to be an underneath receiver.

Also, Jusczcyk has garnered some praise as a receiver. His struggles have seemed to stem from his ability to be a true lead-blocking FB.

@gabefergy

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

Isn't Simon with the OLBs? From the glimpses I have seen from the Live Feed, he was with the OLB group. I'm not sure if that changes his "competition" with Tyson as they are still both looking to secure a roster spot, but I dont think they are in direct competition for the same position.

Just a couple of other notes, I have read/heard nothing but praise for Tandon Doss thus far. I think he is a guy that will be even more involved in the offensive plan with Pitta going down. He has the skillset to be an underneath receiver.

Also, Jusczcyk has garnered some praise as a receiver. His struggles have seemed to stem from his ability to be a true lead-blocking FB.

With Simon, I placed him there with the DEs based on where he played in college and his position on the roster. He could be a OLB too, but in this scheme he could line up either place. Theres probably more opportunities for him to see playing time as a DE rather than OLB. We'll see more after the preseason game.

Heard all good things about Doss as well. Totally agree. Heard all good things about Jones and Thompson too.

I hate to say Juszczyk's stock is falling, but they signed Leach and Shiancoe. Where are they really gonna use him? I think we see very little of him this year, Shiancoe plays his one year, then we see Juszczyk next year as the #2 depending on a number of things. Dicksons contract, pittas health and contract...etc.
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

With Simon, I placed him there with the DEs based on where he played in college and his position on the roster. He could be a OLB too, but in this scheme he could line up either place. Theres probably more opportunities for him to see playing time as a DE rather than OLB. We'll see more after the preseason game.

Heard all good things about Doss as well. Totally agree. Heard all good things about Jones and Thompson too.

I hate to say Juszczyk's stock is falling, but they signed Leach and Shiancoe. Where are they really gonna use him? I think we see very little of him this year, Shiancoe plays his one year, then we see Juszczyk next year as the #2 depending on a number of things. Dicksons contract, pittas health and contract...etc.

DE and OLB are completely different positions though. I mean are you talking about a sub-package DE/pass-rusher? That's what Simon likely will be, but I know for a fact that Harbaugh has talked about him playing the SAM OLB position. Tyson is a DT/DE. If he is playing DE it's solely in the base 3-4. 

Signing Shiancoe at least is a move to replace Pitta, not Juszczyk. Leach is an All-Pro blocking FB, but he does not have the versatility that Juszczyk provides. His role could certainly be different than initially projected, but he should see time playing TE and H-Back as more of a receiving threat. Everything I have read suggests he has shined as a pass-catcher. Shiancoe and Leach I see more as run-blockers although I am far from convinced that Shicancoe will even make the team. If Juszczyk and even Furstenburg prove to be capable, Shiancoe could easily be on the bubble.

@gabefergy

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

DE and OLB are completely different positions though. I mean are you talking about a sub-package DE/pass-rusher? That's what Simon likely will be, but I know for a fact that Harbaugh has talked about him playing the SAM OLB position. Tyson is a DT/DE. If he is playing DE it's solely in the base 3-4. 

Signing Shiancoe at least is a move to replace Pitta, not Juszczyk. Leach is an All-Pro blocking FB, but he does not have the versatility that Juszczyk provides. His role could certainly be different than initially projected, but he should see time playing TE and H-Back as more of a receiving threat. Everything I have read suggests he has shined as a pass-catcher. Shiancoe and Leach I see more as run-blockers although I am far from convinced that Shicancoe will even make the team. If Juszczyk and even Furstenburg prove to be capable, Shiancoe could easily be on the bubble.

Shiancoe was a favorite RZ target of Favres (11 TDs in 2009). I think he makes this team, no doubt. Not based on that one stat, but a veteran will get the nod over a couple rookies. 

I understand Juice is a curious case. Versatile, good hands and all. He's got to earn it though. Miller on this board pointed out that Juszczyk has been struggling at practice. Hence the two signings at the two positions he plays. FB is definitely Leachs job, and Bajema has been running with the first team over Juice in 2 TE sets. Juice will make the team. I just feel like his opportunities will be limited in season one. The whole stock thing is just him getting pushed down the depth chart. Nothing more nothing less. 

Things can obviously change and we'll have a better idea of how they plan to use these guys in about a week.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

For what it's worth, I did a film study on Simon in May, and this is cut directly from my conclusion:

"Simon appears to be a solid but not elite prospect. He is freakishly strong and shows some decent pass rushing skills. He appears able to shed blocks and effectively set the edge against the run.

The real question is: where does Simon fit in the NFL? He isn’t quick enough, long enough, or skilled enough to be a pass rushing DE. Most say he will be converted to OLB, but what kind of OLB? If he is the next Jarret Johnson, as people have become fond of saying, that means he will be playing SAM linebacker."

I honestly don't follow camp that closely, so I don't know what he's been doing there. But from his college film, I saw Simon as an average SAM linebacker prospect. If he saw the field at all, he'd be limited to - like you said - a sub-package pass rusher, likely at 3-4 OLB (the Ravens like to run a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel, and I think OLB in this package is Simon's likely position).

Unfortunately for Simon, the Ravens are pretty healthy at the OLB position right now. 

• BSLMikeRandall and DanBryden like this

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

For what it's worth, I did a film study on Simon in May, and this is cut directly from my conclusion:

"Simon appears to be a solid but not elite prospect. He is freakishly strong and shows some decent pass rushing skills. He appears able to shed blocks and effectively set the edge against the run.

The real question is: where does Simon fit in the NFL? He isn’t quick enough, long enough, or skilled enough to be a pass rushing DE. Most say he will be converted to OLB, but what kind of OLB? If he is the next Jarret Johnson, as people have become fond of saying, that means he will be playing SAM linebacker."

I honestly don't follow camp that closely, so I don't know what he's been doing there. But from his college film, I saw Simon as an average SAM linebacker prospect. If he saw the field at all, he'd be limited to - like you said - a sub-package pass rusher, likely at 3-4 OLB (the Ravens like to run a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel, and I think OLB in this package is Simon's likely position).

Unfortunately for Simon, the Ravens are pretty healthy at the OLB position right now.

I agree with this assessment entirely. From the film I watched of him at OSU he won with strength and relentless pursuit as a pass-rush. He is very strong, but not overly agile or quick. I wouldn't say he has a great first step. He also was not necessarily a run stopping force either, although this area could improve with better technique.

My argument is just that his best position on the Ravens is the SAM. He has been running with the OLBs and Harbaugh labeled him as an OLB. The depth chart has him at DE with the larger DLine types. I don't think that is the position he is looking to fill at all.
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@gabefergy

#8 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,065 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Shiancoe was a favorite RZ target of Favres (11 TDs in 2009). I think he makes this team, no doubt. Not based on that one stat, but a veteran will get the nod over a couple rookies.

I understand Juice is a curious case. Versatile, good hands and all. He's got to earn it though. Miller on this board pointed out that Juszczyk has been struggling at practice. Hence the two signings at the two positions he plays. FB is definitely Leachs job, and Bajema has been running with the first team over Juice in 2 TE sets. Juice will make the team. I just feel like his opportunities will be limited in season one. The whole stock thing is just him getting pushed down the depth chart. Nothing more nothing less.

Things can obviously change and we'll have a better idea of how they plan to use these guys in about a week.

Fair enough, although I wouldn't hold Shiancoe's 2009 production as any kind of reason for keeping him. He may be a veteran, but he hasn't been that productive outside of one season 4 years ago. He won't get the nod over rookies strictly because he is a veteran. The Ravens just picked him up off the street. He is going to have to prove his value just like any other player on the team.

Juszczyk's role has definitely changed with Leach being resigned and the Pitta injury. I just wouldn't be so quick to suggest he will have a smaller role moving forward because of the recent signings. All of the other rookies are taking 2nd team snaps as well, so its not like he is behind on the learning curve. The fact is at Harvard, Juszczyk was primarily used as a TE and rarely had to be a lead blocker. Its no surprise he struggled in that role especially playing behind a 2nd string offensive line. His value comes from his versatility and ability to catch.
@gabefergy

#9 ChrisWorthington

ChrisWorthington

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

My argument is just that his best position on the Ravens is the SAM. He has been running with the OLBs and Harbaugh labeled him as an OLB. The depth chart has him at DE with the larger DLine types. I don't think that is the position he is looking to fill at all.

Definitely agreed.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,796 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

It doesn't show up on the team's website, but The Sun says the Ravens released their first depth chart, and they list a few notables:

• Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is listed as the starting nose guard.
  • James Ihedigbo is the first-string strong safety ahead of rookie first-round pick Matt Elam.
  • Jacoby Jones is listed as the starting wide receiver opposite Torrey Smith (Maryland), with Deonte Thompson and Tandon Doss designated as the top backups.
  • Gino Gradkowski is the starting center ahead of A.Q. Shipley.
  • Daryl Smith is listed as the starting “Mike” linebacker inside.
  • Although on the PUP list, Jameel McClain (spinal cord contusion) is still listed as the other starting inside linebacker ahead of Josh Bynes and rookie second-round pick Arthur Brown.
  • Lardarius Webb and Corey Graham are the starting cornerbacks ahead of Jimmy Smith.

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

It doesn't show up on the team's website, but The Sun says the Ravens released their first depth chart, and they list a few notables:

• Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is listed as the starting nose guard.
  • James Ihedigbo is the first-string strong safety ahead of rookie first-round pick Matt Elam.
  • Jacoby Jones is listed as the starting wide receiver opposite Torrey Smith (Maryland), with Deonte Thompson and Tandon Doss designated as the top backups.
  • Gino Gradkowski is the starting center ahead of A.Q. Shipley.
  • Daryl Smith is listed as the starting “Mike” linebacker inside.
  • Although on the PUP list, Jameel McClain (spinal cord contusion) is still listed as the other starting inside linebacker ahead of Josh Bynes and rookie second-round pick Arthur Brown.
  • Lardarius Webb and Corey Graham are the starting cornerbacks ahead of Jimmy Smith.
Good find. I did read that Josh Bynes is improving, and has earned the approval of starting MLB from Terrell Suggs.
Really gonna be watching Jimmy Smith closely this pre season.
@BSLMikeRandall

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

WNST: Sizing up the roster after the 1st Preseason Game
https://wnst.net/bal...eason-opener-2/

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Carroll County Times: Hamilton improves chances of winning roster spot
http://www.carrollco...1a4bcf887a.html

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,351 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Baltimore Beatdown: Anthony Allen: Does he make the 53?
http://www.baltimore...n-roster-or-not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners