#22 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

King Felix ruled the day, that's for sure. I love how he was able to get a strikeout looking to end the game - perfect ending.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Felix Hernandez throws the 23rd perfect game in MLB history, defeating the Rays 1-0.

And third this year, I gotta say while it's still quite the accomplishment, it's not the same thing as when they were once every 4-6 years.
@levineps

#24 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

And third this year, I gotta say while it's still quite the accomplishment, it's not the same thing as when they were once every 4-6 years.

I was thinking that last night. 3 perfect games in a season is crazy.

@AdamWolff

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

ESPN: Hisashi Iwakuma gets 2-year deal

http://espn.go.com/m...eattle-mariners
@levineps

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

CBS Sports: Oliver Perez re-signs with Mariners for 1 year, $1.5M

http://www.cbssports...-for-1-year-15m
@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Seattle Times: Mariners adding huge display at Safeco Field, largest in MLB

http://seattletimes....06_post_59.html

I guess this might there big offseason acquistion. Pretty cool!
@levineps

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

ESPN: Seattle cuts ties with Chone Figgins

http://espn.go.com/m...s-chone-figgins
@levineps

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

USA Today: Mariners, Felix Hernandez agree to $175 million deal

http://www.usatoday....itcher/1899241/

Seattle Mariners ace Felix Hernandez has agreed to a seven-year, $175 million contract that should be finalized before spring training, making him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball history, a person familiar with the contract details told USA TODAY Sports.

Hernandez was scheduled to earn $19.5 million in 2013 and $20 million in '14. Instead, his new contract will take effect this season and pay him a record average annual value of $25 million through 2019.

I didn't realize King Felix was only 26, I thought he was older. Wonder if the M's will be more competitive now?
@levineps

#30 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Wonder if the M's will be more competitive now?

Can he hit? ;)
  • Oriole85 likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,471 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Seven years is a long time, but for a guy's age-27-33 seasons, who has thrown 230-plus innings for four straight seasons, 200-plus innings for five straight, and 190-plus for seven, I think it could work out for them.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

It's a ton of money, but there isn't anyone else in the game you'd rather give it to, IMO.

Obviously the Mariners felt giving him a raise now was better than waiting a while but letting him approach FA in a couple seasons and risk losing him. I'd be surprised if in two seasons he isn't worth a 5/$161M deal, which is really what the Mariners are extending him to if you consider the increase over his next two season's salary.

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,685 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

This will come back to haunt them IMO.
@BSLRobShields

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,815 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

This will come back to haunt them IMO.

I think they gave him less than he would've gotten as a FA but did it early to both guarantee to themselves that they get to keep him and to guarantee Felix that he gets his money.

It's just like a very supersized version of locking in a pre-arb player and buying out some FA years.

I have little doubt that Felix would have beaten this deal as a FA in two years. He'd be the same age in two years as Greinke was this offseason, and he's worth a lot more money, IMO. Greinke just got 6/$150M. So unless he suffers a serious injury, I think this was a solid deal for Seattle.

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,471 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think they gave him less than he would've gotten as a FA but did it early to both guarantee to themselves that they get to keep him and to guarantee Felix that he gets his money.

It's just like a very supersized version of locking in a pre-arb player and buying out some FA years.

I have little doubt that Felix would have beaten this deal as a FA in two years. He'd be the same age in two years as Greinke was this offseason, and he's worth a lot more money, IMO. Greinke just got 6/$150M. So unless he suffers a serious injury, I think this was a solid deal for Seattle.

HBT is already talking about Clayton Kershaw's contract with the Dodgers and how even an extension in the two years before free agency could go over $200 million.

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,685 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... -deal.html

This is a whole lot better.
@BSLRobShields

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,815 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/mariners-hernandez-agree-to-seven-year-deal.html

This is a whole lot better.

That's the same.

Before we thought they tore up his 2/$39.5M deal and replaced it with a 7/$175M deal.
Now it looks like they are keeping that deal, and adding 5/$135.5M to it. Which means it's a 7/$175M total deal if you consider both contracts.

I guess it's a tiny bit better if it's backloaded, set up as the $19.5M, $20M original salaries and the 5 years at $27.1M per rather than $25M every year. Other than that, it's essentially identical to the deal we heard yesterday.

#38 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,685 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

That's the same.

Before we thought they tore up his 2/$39.5M deal and replaced it with a 7/$175M deal.

Now it looks like they are keeping that deal, and adding 5/$135.5M to it. Which means it's a 7/$175M total deal if you consider both contracts.

I guess it's a tiny bit better if it's backloaded, set up as the $19.5M, $20M original salaries and the 5 years at $27.1M per rather than $25M every year. Other than that, it's essentially identical to the deal we heard yesterday.

Not me...i was thinking they were adding 7 years on top of his existing deal(they did say it was a 7 year extension).

I still don't think its a great deal for them but it's a lot better than I initially thought.
@BSLRobShields

#39 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,685 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

No surprise here:

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8933842
@BSLRobShields

#40 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,729 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

No surprise here:

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8933842

From that article:

Some teams and players have negotiated medical exceptions into contracts to protect the team against a catastrophic injury. For example, in the extension that CC Sabathia negotiated with the Yankees 16 months ago, language was added to protect the team against a shoulder injury before the end of the deal.

I don't remember hearing this when he signed the extension. Does anyone know specifically what this means? Is the team reimbursed by insurance? Does CC take a discocunt in a rehab year (is that what the "language" means?) Can they cut him? Other than the insurance option, the other two don't seem MLBPA friendly, obviously.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners