HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Here's the only SI cover I can find about any Perfect Game:

Posted Image

Cone, Wells, Johnson, Rogers, and others don't appear to have gotten a cover after theirs. Just one of the more recent ones, 2010's Dallas Braden.

So I think that using the argument that it's no longer the cover of SI to support your theory that perfect games are devalued is irrelevant.

Fair point, not sure whether Koufax and Jim Bunning got on the covers after theirs? It seems like we agree on the SC lead story. What do you think is a fair way to measure whether interest is the same now versus 20 years on this topic?
@levineps

#102 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,870 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm not sure there is any fair, simple, and accurate way to gauge the public response.

I just feel like every time one happens, or comes close to happening, it's the biggest story in baseball circles. I think I've managed to even see the end of most of the recent ones, since the news gets trickled out via whatever methods possible and then ESPN or MLB cuts into their programming to show the end of the games. I think Braden's was the only recent one I didn't get to see the end of.

#103 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Baseball Analytics: Yu Darvish: Heat Mapping a One Hitter
http://www.baseballa...one-hitter.html

#104 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

Call me cruel, but I'm happy he didn't get the perfect game and even the no-hitter. These things used to special. I still remember the Kenny Rodgers one was the first perfecto and how big of a deal it was when ESPN cut away and then he appeared on Letterman (actually on the set as opposed to the satellite stuff they do now). Also, bothered me it was being done against the Astros else I wouldn't have felt as strongly.

It's not cruel it's just sad. I feel bad for you since you root against people accomplishing great things.

#105 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

It's not cruel it's just sad. I feel bad for you since you root against people accomplishing great things.

Sorry I wish every player could throw a perfect game. I'm not exactly rooting him to get hit by a train.

@levineps

#106 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

FanGraphs: Darvish, Defining 'Change of Pace'
http://www.fangraphs...change-of-pace/

#107 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,763 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Darvish vs. Verlander tonight at the Ballpark in Arlington. This one should be fun. With the O's being off, I think I'll watch tonight.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#108 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Check out Darvish's line from tonight when you get a chance..

130 pitches...came out to pitch the 8th with a 6 run lead. Washington is getting a little grief from local media down there. People saying it's Mid May, no need to overwork the guy..

His defense was that he doesn't think there's anyone in his bullpen as good as Yu.

Interesting, we'll see if Darvish wears down late in the season.

@beginthebegin71

#109 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,763 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

Check out Darvish's line from tonight when you get a chance..

130 pitches...came out to pitch the 8th with a 6 run lead. Washington is getting a little grief from local media down there. People saying it's Mid May, no need to overwork the guy..

His defense was that he doesn't think there's anyone in his bullpen as good as Yu.

Interesting, we'll see if Darvish wears down late in the season.

The Nolan Ryan regime has consistently said that they aren't slaves to the pitch count, but instead use it as one piece of information to help make an informed decision. Other factors like score of the game, how your'e pitching now, how you're feeling, etc. will have a say as well. 

That said, I wonder if anyone has done research to see if the Rangers starting pitching pitch counts are actually any more than other teams since his arrival there? I know this was a big return of the "old school" mentality type of thing when he got there, but I've watched a ton of Rangers games over the past few years (my good friend is a die hard Rangers fan), and it seems that most of the time, their pitchers are pulled at around 100 pitches. 

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Sports on Earth: Nathan adjusts to stay on top
http://www.sportsone...ticle/51950132/

#111 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,868 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

FanGraphs: What getting Garza could tell us about the Rangers
http://www.fangraphs...ut-the-rangers/

#112 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,377 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 3m

Source: #Cubs will acquire Triple A IF Mike Olt, Single A RHP C.J. Edwards and a third player from #Rangers for Garza.

#113 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Funny, I had him and Passan scooped on Olt being official ;)

@JeremyMStrain

#114 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal 3m

Source: #Cubs will acquire Triple A IF Mike Olt, Single A RHP C.J. Edwards and a third player from #Rangers for Garza.

The Orioles hitters appreciate the Rangers willingness to not rush this trade for the time being.

@levineps

#115 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Funny, I had him and Passan scooped on Olt being official ;)

Jeremy, who's the better long term 3B, Olt or Kris Bryant?

@beginthebegin71

#116 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

Bryant. Not an Olt fan at all, the lack of contact at higher levels is like a BLACK flag for me, not even red. They've been looking to dump him for 2 years now.

And that being said I'm not even as high on Bryant as some other people.

• BSLSethBondroff likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#117 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,080 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Bryant. Not an Olt fan at all, the lack of contact at higher levels is like a BLACK flag for me, not even red. They've been looking to dump him for 2 years now.

And that being said I'm not even as high on Bryant as some other people.

Thanks, as always..

I've always been a closet (sort of) Cubs fan, I'm sure this won't work out for them, nothing ever does..:)

@beginthebegin71

#118 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Thanks, as always..

I've always been a closet (sort of) Cubs fan, I'm sure this won't work out for them, nothing ever does.. :)

Haha, it's better than getting a draft pick when he walks. It's worth a shot. Edwards is actually the key to this deal, he's a sleeper that's trending up.

@JeremyMStrain

#119 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

What do you think the Orioles equivalent of Olt and Edwards would have been? Schoop and Ed-Rod maybe?
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

What do you think the Orioles equivalent of Olt and Edwards would have been? Schoop and Ed-Rod maybe?

Tricky question. Depends on if you are still a believer in Olt or not. Most people I know aren't, so he's actually the SECOND piece in that deal, with the focus on Edwards.

If you still think he's a top prospect and needs a change of scenery (and not just lasik surgery) then I don't think we can match that package. If you are a little more down on him as most are, then yeah, Schoop and Ed-Rod is a fairly good trade. Even the 3rd guy in that trade is supposed to be a backline starter, so you'd have to add like Steve Johnson and a PTBNL to those two to have a close to equal package. CHC did a nice job at what they pulled there.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners