#121 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,015 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

Do you really believe this is the only case?

No. Just like I think there are tons of cases like this at just about every major football program. Therefore, I don't hold it against a school/coach much at all. Also as I said, I think these guys should be compensated so that affects my view on this.

But if you're going to make a huge deal about one case, which is exactly what is going on here, you should know the circumstances better. Therefore, no one should be saying that Carroll/USC paid Bush a ton of money to play at USC.

#122 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

If USC received a more appropriate punishment, I wonder if this thread would even exist?

This thread would likely exist regardless of the punishment because plenty of people don't like when he left USC.

I personally don't really have a problem with him leaving when he did, even if I don't think it's a coincidence with the impending sanctions. He led them to the best stretch they've had in ~30 years and he wasn't likely going to get many more chances in his late 50s at a shot at the NFL. He got a very good situation with the Seahawks -- staying on the west coast, getting a lot more control than he would've gotten in many other places, and a hands-off owner, who does what it takes to win but allowed him to do his job effectively.

• mweb08 likes this
@levineps

#123 MattJergensen

MattJergensen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

He wasn't even involved in the cheating with Bush.

And yeah, I do think it's okay that these players get a cut of the revenue they generate, so it's not a big issue to me. The NCAA is the villain here, not generally the coaches and players.

http://sports.yahoo....?urn=nfl,247361

Take it for what it's worth.

#124 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Carroll: "We really felt like we could knock the crud out of these guys"

http://profootballta...out-of-broncos/

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#125 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I think it's incredibly naive to just accept this as true. It just goes against human nature. I don't believe for a second that he wasn't involved/didn't know/didn't indirectly sign off on this at a minimum. And yes, I've read the articles.

Regardless of that - yes, guys cheat - and it doesn't make it right that that's the case - but no one is close enough to these guys anyway to determine who they are as a person. Cheating at big money NCAA I Football doesn't make you a bad person. Having your players love the lockerroom you created in the NFL doesn't make you a good person. No one can evaluate that, in truth.

All we can evaluate from here is how good he is at his job. And he was one of the best at his job in college, and is turning out to be one of the best in the NFL so far here in round 2.

Not only is it extremely naive but it goes against Weber's natural personality to be so obtuse and naive.

And he wonders why I keep.calling him hypocritical. I refuse to engage him on this topic.

Listen you can like Carrol as a coach but to think he was essentially innocent of any wrong doing or shady business at USC is assine.

#126 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,015 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

How many times do I need to say that he probably had an idea something was going on and that I'm sure this was far from the only violation committed at USC? But in this one situation with Bush, it's hard to find much fault with Pete IMO. I don't expect a coach to self report in that situation and again I don't get outraged over college athletes accepting benefits. So I am being consistent and Nickle you got squat in regards to caulking me a hypocrite that's why you have consistently said it without backing it up. If you're going to say something like that, back it up. Otherwise, just don't say anything.

#127 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Perhaps coaches turn a blind eye because they know that it's unfair how much money the NCAA makes off the players while they don't see any of it. They know that between practice, workouts, games, and classes the athletes will not have time to get a job to help offset the ridiculous cost of college. Sure some get full-tuition but there's no way all or even most get enough money. The NCAA as a whole is a scam and is much more "slimy" than any 1 coach.
  • Russ likes this

#128 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

At least 200K expected for parade (ESPN)

City officials are anticipating a turnout between 200,000 and 500,000 along Fourth Avenue.

Quite the prediction!

@levineps

#129 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

2012 draft class of Seattle voted a F by many.  Who is laughing now?  Why predicting things is suspect when you take your predictions seriously.

http://insider.espn....-nfl-team-draft

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

2012 draft class of Seattle voted a F by many.  Who is laughing now?  Why predicting things is suspect when you take your predictions seriously.

http://insider.espn....-nfl-team-draft

I don't really mind it so much, it's what the public wants -- instant analysis. It's just an opinion and it usually takes 3 years (atleast) to evaluate a draft.

Here's a good quote...

Russell Wilson is a great test case for shorter QBs, because he has everything else, but did they need him in the third round after grabbing Matt Flynn to come in and likely start?

@levineps

#131 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Pete Carroll says, "what have you done lately?" image.JPG

Oh and don't forget!

p1_carroll.jpg

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#132 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

Pete Carroll says, "what have you done lately?" image.JPG

Oh and don't forget!

p1_carroll.jpg

Waiting for someone to point out the technicality of the latter "not happening." 

@levineps

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,249 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

CBS Sports: Seattle has work to do
http://www.cbssports...h-shorter-reign

#134 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Browner reinstated.

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=10552671

#135 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,015 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Good. That suspension was a joke.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,249 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Sports on Earth: GM for a Day
http://www.sportsone...landry-pat-sims

#137 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

https://twitter.com/...919463726608384

Source: #Seahawks reach an agreement with coach Pete Carroll on a contract extension. Will be announced at a press conference tomorrow

@DJ_McCann

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 122,249 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

CBS Sports: Seattle trades for Pryor
http://www.cbssports...yor-to-seahawks

#139 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,466 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

With the schedule release tonight, there's no way that Seattle hosting the 49ers in week 1 isn't the Thursday kickoff game, right? 

FWIW, the Mariners are on the road that day. 

Maybe the 49ers in a new stadium open week 1 at home, meaning that maybe the Seahawks host Denver in week 1. Not sure I'd want that SB rematch to kick off the season. For regular season purposes it's just two out of conference teams. It doesn't carry the weight of a heated rivalry game. Niners can open their new stadium in week 2.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#140 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

With the schedule release tonight, there's no way that Seattle hosting the 49ers in week 1 isn't the Thursday kickoff game, right? 

FWIW, the Mariners are on the road that day. 

Maybe the 49ers in a new stadium open week 1 at home, meaning that maybe the Seahawks host Denver in week 1. Not sure I'd want that SB rematch to kick off the season. For regular season purposes it's just two out of conference teams. It doesn't carry the weight of a heated rivalry game. Niners can open their new stadium in week 2.  

I think the 49ers will host the SNF game. They can't host weekday games this year (besides potentially Thanksgiving).

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users