344 replies to this topic

#261 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

The NFL should have nip this after Kaep did it in the pre-season game. He does not have a right if the policy of the NFL is that all players, coaches and game-day on field personnel will stand during pre-game National Anthem ceremonies. Just like the NBA did to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf back in 1996.

http://theundefeated...ational-anthem/

Freedom of Speech as part of the First Amendment of the Constitution prohibits government from making laws abridging ones speech. It says nothing about the 49'ers, the NFL, the NBA or any other organization. Many employers, organizations or groups put restrictions on the employees all the time. The Orioles had/have a travel restriction on their players when travelling. They have to dress properly so as to make the group look professionally in public. Hell, they even use to have a facial hair policy.

This could be a black eye for the NFL if this continues in the eyes of the public.

I do find it interesting that the NFL continues to let their players sit, knell or do whatever during the National Anthem. But when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a patch to commemorate the murder of 5 law enforcement officers from Dallas on July 8th of this year, they were quick to put a kibosh to that.

I dare someone to go on Facebook and praise the KKK or other white supremacist group or even say disparaging remarks on your boss or the company you work for and when your boss finds out. You will be unemployed and looking for a new job.

As has been said, there is a double standard. We all know it.

#262 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:32 PM

I think the public backlash on the NFL if they banned these protests would be more negative than if they continue to allow them. Public momentum always tends to lead towards more personal freedoms, not fewer.

I do agree they could ban them if they so chose. I don't think anti-discrimination laws would apply here, though I'm no lawyer.

#263 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

The NFL is definitely a control freak about the uniforms. They should have allowed the patch for the officers.

#264 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,468 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

The NFL is definitely a control freak about the uniforms. They should have allowed the patch for the officers.

THAT was a shitty decision. However, so would be what Mark is suggesting.

@DJ_McCann

#265 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

THAT was a shitty decision. However, so would be what Mark is suggesting.

I agree.

I don't think they're that related either. The NFL isn't going to allow a black lives matter patch either.

#266 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

People get fined for untucking or having a weird color on their socks. I think a patch would cause people's heads to explode.

#267 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

I dare someone to go on Facebook and praise the KKK or other white supremacist group or even say disparaging remarks on your boss or the company you work for and when your boss finds out. You will be unemployed and looking for a new job.

RIley Cooper's career ended up ok. James Harrison, Tom Brady, et al have made remarks about the NFL and still remain employed. There's no rules that tell you what you need to do for the anthem. Making a rule because some guys kneel in protest against a very real issue really wouldn't help matters at all. I'm sure the NFLPA would eat that up immediately.

But I'm burying the lede...are you comparing BLM to the KKK?

• RampageBassoon likes this

#268 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

Apparently until a few years ago, players weren't even on the field during the national anthem - they were in the locker room getting another 2 minutes of coaching.  Was that disrespectful?

#269 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,698 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

A player on Indiana St. Kneeled for the anthem today.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#270 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

As Arlo Guthrie said, three people is a movement.

#271 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

A player on Indiana St. Kneeled for the anthem today.

An entire team of high school football players did on Friday. A smattering of them elsewhere.

#272 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

So yeah. Interlocking arms or whatever.

#273 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

So yeah. Interlocking arms or whatever.

Those assholes! 

#274 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

Obviously wasnt what was initially intended. Somehow someone talked sense into someone in that organization

#275 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

Obviously wasnt what was initially intended. Somehow someone talked sense into someone in that organization

Agree with the first, completely disagree with the second. I'm 100% sure that RW told them, "Look...I'm not doing this", and they had to come up with this lame compromise.

It's funny because I think that this was more "look at us! look at what we're doing!" than what was probably originally intended.

...which is funny, because the Chiefs beat them to it anyway.

#276 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

http://www.espn.com/...seball-activism

I found this to be very interesting.  Lots of thoughtful comments from a handful of baseball players.  Focused on the how and why (or why not) of activism in general by baseball players and black players in particular, rather than on any one current issue.

(wasn't sure where to put this since the Jones thread is now closed...)

#277 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

http://www.espn.com/...seball-activism

I found this to be very interesting.  Lots of thoughtful comments from a handful of baseball players.  Focused on the how and why (or why not) of activism in general by baseball players and black players in particular, rather than on any one current issue.

(wasn't sure where to put this since the Jones thread is now closed...)

That thread being closed is probably a hint to let you know where this discussion doesn't belong. :)
@BSLMikeRandall

#278 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,637 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

Sports on Earth: For 'Hawks, Where There's a Wilson, There's a Way

#279 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,637 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

Sports on Earth: Everything Is Hawksome: Seattle Tops Buffalo

#280 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,976 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

They get all the calls. Annoying.

They are probably one of a small number of teams that can beat the Patriots, though, so there is that.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners