Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

That's your opinion.

I think we could respond with that to every other post on this topic. I'm going to spare everyone on a long civil rights comparison diatribe.

The response is "good."

• Ricker Says likes this

#242 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,975 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

I don't know why this is such a big hit button issue. It's people's perogative. That's America right there.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#243 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

Should Kaepernick or anyone else stand on 9/11 when they otherwise wouldn't due to the significance of the date?

#244 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,625 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

I think we could respond with that to every other post on this topic. I'm going to spare everyone on a long civil rights comparison diatribe.

The response is "good."

Well you said it like its a fact. That's all I'm saying.
@BSLRobShields

#245 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,625 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

I don't know why this is such a big hit button issue. It's people's perogative. That's America right there.

Everyone agrees it's his right. The question is, should he do it.

But yeah, it's become a tired argument with no chance of changing people's minds about if he should or shouldn't do it.
@BSLRobShields

#246 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,208 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

Well you said it like its a fact. That's all I'm saying.

Well it is not a literal slap in the face. I'm safe on that. 

I get what you are saying though.

I think you should consider how many posts of yours are stated as fact as well.

Politics can lead to hot blood, I'm guilty of it myself. I'll do better with my wording, but recognize your own opinions presented as facts as well.

• RampageBassoon likes this

#247 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,975 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Should Kaepernick or anyone else stand on 9/11 when they otherwise wouldn't due to the significance of the date?

That would earn him and others like him a lot of respect if he and they stood during the 9/11 anthem.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#248 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,625 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

Well it is not a literal slap in the face. I'm safe on that. 

I get what you are saying though.

I think you should consider how many posts of yours are stated as fact as well.

Politics can lead to hot blood, I'm guilty of it myself. I'll do better with my wording, but recognize your own opinions presented as facts as well.

My opinions are facts! :)
@BSLRobShields

#249 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,682 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

I think so just because of how important patriotism was for the country following 9/11, and it's been just 15 years, so all these players were cognitively aware of what happened when it went down. This is inconsistent with my thoughts on this, but I do think 9/11 and patriotism have exceptional significance.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#250 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

That would earn him and others like him a lot of respect if he and they stood during the 9/11 anthem.

They're too selfish and dillusional.

#251 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,975 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:06 PM

They're too selfish and dillusional.
We'll see.

#252 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

Honestly I doubt it would. Why should anyone stand on 9/11 when they don't feel like they should stand otherwise? I don't really see the correlation of standing for the anthem and honoring the victims of 9/11. If there is a correlation, it's a weak one imo and there are certainly much better ways to honor the victims.

Back to the respect angle, some of those that support not standing may question why one would stand this time, but more importantly, I don't think many of those that are up in arms about this would start respecting Kaepernick or anyone else much more. There's still going to be a lot of hate.

#253 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

I think so just because of how important patriotism was for the country following 9/11, and it's been just 15 years, so all these players were cognitively aware of what happened when it went down. This is inconsistent with my thoughts on this, but I do think 9/11 and patriotism have exceptional significance.

I can see that side of the argument. I also obviously see the side that says they should be consistent with their stance.

However, more importantly imo, there are much better ways to honor 9/11 than by standing for the anthem. I think too much of the idea of patriotism is focused on symbolism like the flag, anthem, pledge, etc rather than patriotic acts.

#254 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,682 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

I agree. Like I said, not as much about the anthem. More about the fact that on 9/11, that's a cause we can all rally behind and a day that's not about you.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#255 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:50 PM

I agree. Like I said, not as much about the anthem. More about the fact that on 9/11, that's a cause we can all rally behind and a day that's not about you.

I wouldn't say the purpose of not standing is to make the day about that individual, but I understand that's a byproduct of that action.

#256 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:00 PM

Well, 2 things:

1) Kaep plays on 9/12.

2) The Seahawks aren't protesting. They're, as Baldwin said, "Honoring the flag in a show of solidarity". Given that the whole team is doing it, and Russell Wilson already spoke out against dissing the flag or whatevs, I'm expecting this to be more...err...comfortable than Kaepernick's demonstration.

#257 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:07 PM

It's also typical Carroll and Seahawks to be attention whores. No humility

#258 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:46 AM

It's also typical Carroll and Seahawks to be attention whores. No humility

Well, in their defense, it works. They make the NFL more compelling.

#259 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

The more I hear about this "demonstration", the more I think that this is going to please pretty much everyone.

#260 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:52 PM

Rumors swirling around Twitter that the Seahawks entire team plans to protest by sitting during the National Anthem on Sunday.

The NFL should have nip this after Kaep did it in the pre-season game. He does not have a right if the policy of the NFL is that all players, coaches and game-day on field personnel will stand during pre-game National Anthem ceremonies. Just like the NBA did to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf back in 1996.

http://theundefeated...ational-anthem/

Freedom of Speech as part of the First Amendment of the Constitution prohibits government from making laws abridging ones speech. It says nothing about the 49'ers, the NFL, the NBA or any other organization. Many employers, organizations or groups put restrictions on the employees all the time. The Orioles had/have a travel restriction on their players when travelling. They have to dress properly so as to make the group look professionally in public. Hell, they even use to have a facial hair policy.

This could be a black eye for the NFL if this continues in the eyes of the public.

I do find it interesting that the NFL continues to let their players sit, knell or do whatever during the National Anthem. But when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to wear a patch to commemorate the murder of 5 law enforcement officers from Dallas on July 8th of this year, they were quick to put a kibosh to that.

I dare someone to go on Facebook and praise the KKK or other white supremacist group or even say disparaging remarks on your boss or the company you work for and when your boss finds out. You will be unemployed and looking for a new job.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners