#2181 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Keri no longer has a Twitter account and his lawyer basically admitted that Keri had made a death threat to his wife.

In other national sports media news, I'm curious to see what happens going forward with Le Batard.

https://deadspin.com...-aft-1836597414

#2182 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

Keri no longer has a Twitter account and his lawyer basically admitted that Keri had made a death threat to his wife.

In other national sports media news, I'm curious to see what happens going forward with Le Batard.

https://deadspin.com...-aft-1836597414

His opinion was absolutely right, and everything he said was accurate.

But it really seemed like he was daring to be reprimanded. There was a real "come at me bro" air to his words.

• BSLMichaelWeber likes this

#2183 BSLMichaelWeber

BSLMichaelWeber

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

His opinion was absolutely right, and everything he said was accurate.

But it really seemed like he was daring to be reprimanded. There was a real "come at me bro" air to his words.

True on both accounts.

#2184 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,279 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

Awful Announcing: The Athletic’s Alex Mather says they have more than 500,000 subscribers, and “We’ll end the year somewhere close to a million”
https://awfulannounc...ubscribers.html

#2185 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

Jon Heyman has really become a first class prick.

• JeremyStrain and BSLChrisBacon like this
@BSLRobShields

#2186 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,145 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:47 PM

Awful Announcing: The Athletic’s Alex Mather says they have more than 500,000 subscribers, and “We’ll end the year somewhere close to a million”
https://awfulannounc...ubscribers.html

Actually, the financial analyst in me is more expecting a major dropoff in subs. Their first year, and getting people to sign up for 40-50% off is one thing. But once that year is up, and it tries to auto-renew at the higher rate, how many people drop it?

That's going to be the real test for them, we know they can do it at this rate, but can they do it at double the rate? Netflix took a different path. It started with the lower rates, and gradually increased them as they needed to. This approach lets them feel it out as they go if subs start to drop they can choose to raise fees or cut costs. You saw it this year as they axed a lot of original programming. That was in reaction to subs not increasing  and things plateauing.

The other approach is what the Athletic did, and cable companies do the same. They tell you the price, and then give you a hefty discount over a certain period. They are hoping lots of people can't be bothered with negotiating back down and just leave the higher rate. Those that threaten to leave they will pull out a new discount for.

The newest model is still kind of untested. Give people a la carte choices and letting them build their own packages based on what they want instead of the full enchilada. Jury is still out on how that's going to work. Not enough places have gone all-in on it.

@JeremyMStrain

#2187 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,279 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

Awful Announcing: The Athletic announces launch of over 40 new podcasts, will move them outside the paywall
https://awfulannounc...he-paywall.html

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

#2188 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

Beadle leaving ESPN. Not quite sure why ESPN is in such a hurry to get rid of her. Maybe she is a bitch behind the scenes or something?

I don’t know but i think she’s really good in front of the camera and isn’t someone I would be in a hurry to get rid of.
@BSLRobShields

#2189 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,145 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

Beadle leaving ESPN. Not quite sure why ESPN is in such a hurry to get rid of her. Maybe she is a bitch behind the scenes or something?

I don’t know but i think she’s really good in front of the camera and isn’t someone I would be in a hurry to get rid of.

Maybe it's her call? Word is that ESPN is kind of a toxic environment right now, and if other places are willing to offer good money I don't blame people for jumping ship.

@JeremyMStrain

#2190 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,946 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

They've really tried to make her work and she just...hasn't. I do kinda think that there isn't a real place for her given the restructuring and things that she "doesn't want to do."

#2191 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,738 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

Maybe it's her call? Word is that ESPN is kind of a toxic environment right now, and if other places are willing to offer good money I don't blame people for jumping ship.

True but I read that they are working on a buyout and that it depends on how much she gets.

She may want to leave but isn’t willing to leave a ton of money on the table either.

But they have pushed her out of Get Up and then the NBA coverage. I wouldn’t blame her for wanting out. Just not sure why ESPN is so eager to push her out.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners