254 replies to this topic

#141 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

Woods is even on the day through 10, sitting three shots behind playing partner Scott Brown and 54-hole leader Jason Gore, who are at -16.

#142 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

Four-shot swing on 11 for Woods...he gets a triple bogey to drop to -10 while Brown birdies to go to -17, tied for the lead with Davis Love III. Should be out of the mix now.

#143 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

Woods and Brown both bogey 12 while Love maintains. He's done.

#144 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Love cards a bookend 64 and stands alone at -17. Woods has picked up a couple of shots but is six back with four to play. Brown and Gore could still make runs.

#145 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

Tiger had another back surgery this week. Same surgery as before in the same area.

Feels he will be back in early 2016.
@BSLRobShields

#146 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

Somber words from Tiger yesterday. Sounds like he's done.
@BSLRobShields

#147 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

Great interview with Tiger. http://time.com/tige...ialflow_twitter

#148 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

I just saw the other day that Nike is stopping their golf club line.

This came as a big surprise to me but it essentially tells you how powerful Tiger was for them and how insignificant Rory and others are when it comes to that type of thing.

Couple that with the popularity of golf going down, golf courses closing, etc...and you really see the impact Tiger truly had.

Who knows if he will ever be good again...but if he can have a "second career", the sport may get rejuvenated again.
@BSLRobShields

#149 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

I just saw the other day that Nike is stopping their golf club line.

This came as a big surprise to me but it essentially tells you how powerful Tiger was for them and how insignificant Rory and others are when it comes to that type of thing.

Couple that with the popularity of golf going down, golf courses closing, etc...and you really see the impact Tiger truly had.

Who knows if he will ever be good again...but if he can have a "second career", the sport may get rejuvenated again.

I don't think all of this is about Tiger. 

I think the market in golf is just dominated by other brands whose sole focus is golf (Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, etc...) Kind of like how in baseball certain companies thrive, like Rawlings and Franklin, because thats all they do. 

Nike has always been the leader in shoes. I think pretty recently UA took over Adidas in that department to get to number two. Combine that with the likes of Steph Curry being a UA guy, Nike stock would probably free fall if they were all of a sudden not the #1 shoes anymore. They probably give two shits about golf clubs at this point, with UA breathing down their necks in regards to Nike's top selling product. Nike is probably doubling down in the shoe department at the expense of other fringe things. 

No doubt Tiger had a huge impact on the game. But Golf popularity is actually going back up the last few years, as far as gaining new players, and women players. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#150 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

If Tiger is still Tiger, they don't stop making clubs.
@BSLRobShields

#151 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

If Tiger is still Tiger, they don't stop making clubs.

True. If Tiger was breaking records today, they likely don't pull the rug out from under him, since Rory and Michelle Wie are the only people that people care about that will have to find new golf clubs now. But Nike was never a real player in the equipment market. Tiger still being Tiger wouldn't have made sales any different.

Tiger was a superstar before Nike even started making clubs. Only been making clubs since 2002. To put it another way, Tiger won six majors before Nike made clubs for him. 

Club sales are down because companies have advanced them, performance wise, about as much as you can. Clubs from 1980 to 1990 are vastly different. From 1990 to 2000, vastly different. From 2000 to 2010, a little different. Not enough difference in a bad economy for the average Joe to drop $1,000 on new sticks. From 2010 to present...not different at all, except for subtle unnoticeable changes. The average Joe is realizing that buying a $500 driver won't improve your game. But investing that $500 into 15 or so lessons and keeping your driver from 2008, will improve it. 

It sounds like a smart business move for fringe companies like to get out of the equipment business. Or merge with one. I believe Adidas and Taylor-Made fall under the same umbrella. But Under Armour won't be making golf clubs anytime soon. Even If Spieth wins the grand slam next year. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#152 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,500 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Tiger to make his return next week

http://www.tigerwood...hedule-results/

Listed on his website schedule, Safeway Open in Napa, CA. (Oct. 13)

Along with the Turkish Airlines Open in Turkey (Nov. 3) and Hero World Challenge, Bahamas (Dec. 1)

PGA probably salivating as it gives the golf world something to focus on for the next few weeks. Usually after the Ryder Cup there is a few month layoff from noteworthy competitions. Safeway Open would fall in that category. But recently the PGA season has become a year round thing. The purse and Fed Ex Cup points for the Safeway Open and some other events coming up are on par with the more prominent season opening events like the Sony Open in January, Phoenix Open in February. Those used to be the unofficial start of the season as Football seasons were wrapping up by then. 

Tiger's returns aren't must see TV anymore. I'll be interested to hear how he looks and see if he stays healthy through the beginning of 2017.

• Markus likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#153 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

Golf needs him.

@BSLRobShields

#154 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,599 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

@USATODAY 2m2 minutes ago

#BREAKING Report: Tiger Woods to withdraw from Safeway Open days before planned return to PGA Tour http://usat.ly/2ekfBdk

#155 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Smart
@BSLRobShields

#156 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,593 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:43 AM

Tiger still believes he will beat Jack's record. Whether he actually believes that or just stated it publicly is an unknown.

What it does tell me is that he is perhaps feeling like his back issues are under control now..:not that you ever have a guarantee with a back issue.
@BSLRobShields

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,599 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:47 AM

Tiger still believes he will beat Jack's record. Whether he actually believes that or just stated it publicly is an unknown.

What it does tell me is that he is perhaps feeling like his back issues are under control now..:not that you ever have a guarantee with a back issue.

If he could stay healthy from here on... I think he could win another Major or two. 

But based on everything we've seen, if I had to bet... I'd go under on him getting 5 more PGA wins of any kind.

His confidence was a key during his prime... but his words run hollow at this point.  Everytime he speaks he says he is on the verge, yada yada....    get into an event, play all 4 rounds, and move on to the next event.. Rinse and repeat for a season and start putting up results. Then speak again.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#158 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

ROFL. Lets hope he really does believe that 

#159 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Jim Brown thought he could play in the NFL at 48.  Michael Jordan probably still thinks he could be sixth man of the year in the NBA.  Has Rickey Henderson retired yet?  The ultra competitive guys are always the last to realize reality.  Tiger turns 41 in December, so his window would be closing regardless...  if he can stay healthy, he could win another major or two, I suppose.  But five is a lot.

#160 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,599 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:18 PM

Here's the quote... what he said was he didn't think he would catch Jack, but did think he would get more.

CNN: Tiger Woods casts doubt on Jack Nicklaus major record chase
http://www.cnn.com/2...nial/index.html

Woods was asked in an interview to be aired Thursday on "Charlie Rose: This Week on PBS" whether he still thinks he will get to 18 majors."To be honest with you, no," he replied. When Rose asked if he had accepted that, Woods laughed and said: "I've accepted I'm going to get more."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners