#221 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,229 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:51 AM

Great piece from KVV earlier this week on how we need to evolve as Tiger fans...

Time to let our appreciation of Tiger evolve in latest comeback http://es.pn/2AbaJlq
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
  • BSLMikeRandall likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#222 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

NuTiger being NuTiger today. +4 through 9 holes.

#223 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:01 PM

Holy shit. Fowler shot a final round 61 to win this title

#224 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:04 PM

NuTiger being NuTiger today. +4 through 9 holes.

Well, he ended up getting a few strokes back yesterday and shot 3 under today...finished 9th...ahead of guys like Thomas and Dustin Johnson.

Incredibly impressive considering the lay off. 

@BSLRobShields

#225 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

So, today didn't work out... but he's gotten back to the point where he can be in contention for a Major on a Sunday (even leading at one point).

It's been 10 years since he won a Major.

If the over / under on Majors he wins for the rest of his career is set at 1, what do you take?

#226 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

So, today didn't work out... but he's gotten back to the point where he can be in contention for a Major on a Sunday (even leading at one point).

It's been 10 years since he won a Major.

If the over / under on Majors he wins for the rest of his career is set at 1, what do you take?

Easily under. Hes almost 43 with some serious health issues in his past. If you set the line at .5 the right play still under IMO.

#227 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

Under

#228 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Under

What if I put it at .5 ?

#229 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Interesting time with him right now. He has come a long, long way from those serious back issues, horrible yips, and literally duffing the ball around the course. On the other hand, those health issues could arise at any time and hes almost 43. I was convinced at one point he'd never win another full event title. That seems much more attainable now. Still think the nerves will play a part because its been so long since hes won anything.

Im also backing off of him a bit. Will never be the biggest fan but I respect his dedication to getting back to being a respectable golfer at 42 yrs old. Im also not as judgemental about his past. He made mistakes. We all do.

#230 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 04:59 PM

Push. I think he's got 1 more in him. Augusta has been good to him. He proved he could possibly win on a British open setup. The legends in any sport alway have one more in them. U.S. Opens have been ridiculous, and PGAs have had some really low scoring numbers so he'd need birdies in bunches. But in a major like the Masters, the British depending on the conditions, if he can make pars all day and run into a few birdies, he'll be right there in it. But birdies in bunches and nearly unfair course conditions won't suit him. He's not shooting -18 for four rounds, nor will he mentally keep it together when a 3 foot putt rolls 50 feet off the green and 50 more yards down a hill.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#231 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

He will win again imo.

I agree that a US Open is not likely an attainable goal for him. PGA title is possible depending on the course.

But another Masters or Open Championship is very possible. He may even win multiple majors.

The idea that he is this competitive when he has barely played is something I don’t think people are giving enough credit to. It’s sinply amazing that he changed his swing, AGAIN, has played so little the last 4 years and has a fused back and he is still playing with the best players in the world who are 10-20 years younger than they are.
@BSLRobShields

#232 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

But his nuskills could start to erode at any time. Father time is undefeated and less kind to 43 yr olds playing on Tour today than 20-30years ago because of how good the kids are today. Again, all credit to him for bouncing back but he still hasnt won anything yet. You cant assume that hes rusty and will keep getting better. Thats golf for anyone. You get everything working for awhile but then it can.just go away. Spieth was praised 2-3 years ago for making almost all his putts from inside 6-7 feet. Now its a bugaboo for him

#233 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

What if I put it at .5 ?

I think I'd still go under in that case.

I do think he has a decent chance to get one somewhere. And I know he will keep trying for another 6-8 years. But there are tons of good golfers out there. He will maybe be able to be competitive in another 25 or 30 majors. Half he won't play his best, so those are out. Not sure I think he's a 1-in-20 chance at any of the others.

#234 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

But his nuskills could start to erode at any time. Father time is undefeated and less kind to 43 yr olds playing on Tour today than 20-30years ago because of how good the kids are today. Again, all credit to him for bouncing back but he still hasnt won anything yet. You cant assume that hes rusty and will keep getting better. Thats golf for anyone. You get everything working for awhile but then it can.just go away. Spieth was praised 2-3 years ago for making almost all his putts from inside 6-7 feet. Now its a bugaboo for him

Phil won this year and is a top 20 player right now..he is around 48 I believe.

No reason Tiger can’t have a good 3-5 year run.
@BSLRobShields

#235 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 110,989 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:42 AM

The Ringer: We Are Witnessing the Third Act of Tiger Woods

#236 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

Phil won this year and is a top 20 player right now..he is around 48 I believe.

No reason Tiger can’t have a good 3-5 year run.

Tiger will be 42 for this year's PGA and 43 all of next year.  Phil's last major came at Age 43.

Here are the number of major champions, by age, since WWII:

43 y/o - 4 (Mickelson British '13, Crenshaw Masters '95, Floyd US Open '86, Boros US Open '63)

44 y/o - 2 (Trevino PGA '84, De Vicenzo British '67)

45 y/o - 2 (Irwin '90 US Open, Barber PGA '61)

46 y/o - 1 (Nicklaus '86 Masters)

47 y/o - 0

48 y/o - 1 (Boros PGA '68)

49 y/o - 0

Tiger's made a career out of doing things nobody has done before, so this scant list doesn't preclude him from winning.  But he's got long odds every time out there.  I'd be real surprised if he won multiple majors from here on out. 

#237 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Tiger will be 42 for this year's PGA and 43 all of next year.  Phil's last major came at Age 43.

Here are the number of major champions, by age, since WWII:

43 y/o - 4 (Mickelson British '13, Crenshaw Masters '95, Floyd US Open '86, Boros US Open '63)

44 y/o - 2 (Trevino PGA '84, De Vicenzo British '67)

45 y/o - 2 (Irwin '90 US Open, Barber PGA '61)

46 y/o - 1 (Nicklaus '86 Masters)

47 y/o - 0

48 y/o - 1 (Boros PGA '68)

49 y/o - 0

Tiger's made a career out of doing things nobody has done before, so this scant list doesn't preclude him from winning.  But he's got long odds every time out there.  I'd be real surprised if he won multiple majors from here on out. 

I don't expect him to win multiple majors.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he does either.

Again, I don't think people are giving enough credence to the level he's at right now.  To be where he is RIGHT NOW, is pretty amazing.  And while he is aging, he also went through a 4-5 year stretch of barely playing, so if his back remains good, he may be "fresher" than a lot of guys his age.  

Look, its still only a 3-5 year stretch.  That's not long and for him to win multiple majors in that stretch is going to be tough for anyone, much less a guy his age.  

@BSLRobShields

#238 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:42 AM

JUST IN: NBC’s final round of The Open gets highest overnight final round rating since Tiger won at Royal Liverpool in 2006. Last final round that beat yesterday was Tiger’s win at St. Andrews in 2000.

@BSLRobShields

#239 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

No doubt that Tiger moves the needle.  He's nowhere near the best player, but he's still the most interesting golfer by miles (with apologies to Miguel Angel Jimenez).  Nobody currently on tour will ever be the draw that Tiger was, or even still is.  Even if Rory or Spieth or someone else become nearly as dominant and makes a run at double digit majors, they just aren't the same type of phenomena as Tiger.

#240 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83,135 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

No doubt that Tiger moves the needle.  He's nowhere near the best player, but he's still the most interesting golfer by miles (with apologies to Miguel Angel Jimenez).  Nobody currently on tour will ever be the draw that Tiger was, or even still is.  Even if Rory or Spieth or someone else become nearly as dominant and makes a run at double digit majors, they just aren't the same type of phenomena as Tiger.

No one is close.  Let's face it.  These "kids" are really good but very few people care about him.

The game, both professionally and for us pathetic amateurs, has suffered in a major way since he has been out.  Tournaments aren't being renewed, courses are shutting down, ratings have been way down, etc..I mean, Tiger had a SATURDAY earlier this year where the ratings were better than any FINAL ROUND of any of the majors last year.  That is astounding.

• bnickle likes this
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners