#181 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

Why is that any more excusable? Whenever I've been prescribed pain killers, benzos or other meds not safe to drive on, my doc has made that fact very clear, as has the bottle they were in.

http://www.espn.com/...ted-dui-florida

The difference is likely you are more aware of how fucked up you are with alcohol. The effects can be a lot easier to understand. I say that because if you have never mixed pills before, you may not feel it the same way as you do with alcohol.

Plus, with alcohol involved, it sounds more on purpose than his excuse does.

He may be telling truth or it may be bs...whatever the case is, he could have hurt someone else while being under the influence of something, so he's wrong.
@BSLRobShields

#182 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Why is it a bunch of bs?

This obviously could happen and, he talked about mixing some meds. If you take the wrong pills together, it can fuck you up.

It could have theoretically happened, I guess.  But Tiger was driving around at 3AM on a party weekend, and then refused a breathalyzer test.  I think you have to pretty gullible to just accept a prescription drugs excuse at face value, even if there's a chance it's true.  Did Tiger just switch to a new medication or something?

#183 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:43 AM

3AM blew a 0.00 but was found asleep behind a running car and had extremely slow and slurred speech and struggled with roadside tasks. Also changed his story about where he was going and coming from. I mean they are essentially admitting he was high. Now you can believe it was an unexpected reaction to prescription medication that caused that if you want.

#184 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Huh, I could have sworn I read that he refused a breathalyzer test, but now I see that be blew a 0.0.  I'm upgrading the prescription drug excuse from total BS to probable BS, although in some ways the story is now sadder.

#185 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

http://www.espn.com/...rest-dui-charge

Yep...no alcohol. He was just messed up.

He could be lucky he didn't die. You don't mix meds if you don't know if you should or not. I think that's what killed Heath Ledger iirc.
@BSLRobShields

#186 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Let's be clear though... he was mixing or taking whatever he was taking, to get fucked up. You aren't under the influence of those drugs at 3 AM, driving, if that isn't the case. This doesn't make this any less of an infraction than if he had been drunk. In fact, based on the picture and these developments, it's probably more worrisome. 

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#187 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,619 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Isn't it possible he was driving around 10, pulled over because he felt super tired and was found at 3 by police? I'm really inclined to believe him here.

@fuzydunlop

#188 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Let's be clear though... he was mixing or taking whatever he was taking, to get fucked up. You aren't under the influence of those drugs at 3 AM, driving, if that isn't the case. This doesn't make this any less of an infraction than if he had been drunk. In fact, based on the picture and these developments, it's probably more worrisome.

Absolutely. Apparently it's not a secret he has had issues with sedatives and prescription pills.

#189 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

Isn't it possible he was driving around 10, pulled over because he felt super tired and was found at 3 by police? I'm really inclined to believe him here.

It's possible. Just doesn't seem likely.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#190 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

It's possible. Just doesn't seem likely.

Why doesn't it seem likely?

It's as likely as your scenario.

And I wouldn't be concerned that he was mixing pills to get fucked up...my concern would be he has an addiction to them now.

And, in basically every case of that, you like to defend the person because "we aren't in there shoes" and in this case, you seem to be bashing him. I find that interesting. Maybe if he wasn't rich you would think differently?
@BSLRobShields

#191 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Yes, I'm never inclined to believe the narrative being pushed from the legal and PR team following an incident like this. But if the facts align, I hope I'm wrong. I've always been a big Tiger fan. But to operate under the assumption that on Memorial Day Weekend, he has a whoopsie with new pills and it hit him on his drive home so he was a good saint and pulled over so he could sleep it off... come on. That is incredible heights of naivety and shows how loyalty to an athlete can really cloud one's evaluation of that individual. Home Sports Team are to Stoner what Tiger Woods is to you. Not surprising to see you defending him.

#192 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Or you to Bernie Sanders.

I'm not defending him as much as I'm not acting like I know what happened.

First of all, who gives a damn that it was Memorial Day. Not everyone feels the need to get fucked up on that day.

Secondly, as someone who comes from a medical family, I have an understanding of meds, the effects of mixing meds, etc...it something I am personally always aware of when I take meds. However, I also know that mixing them the wrong way is very common and not difficult to do.

I'm not defending him for driving under the influence of something. That's wrong on every level. He could have killed someone. What I am saying is that it's possible this was a mistake on his part and not something intentional. That's my point. You are being judge, jury and executioner and you don't know dick about anything other than it was Memorial Day, so obviously he was getting fucked up.

I also wonder if he has an addiction.
@BSLRobShields

#193 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,125 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

I think he's probably addicted to pain pills --he's had, what, 4-5 surgeries on his back?  He's doing everything he can to get back to playing, maybe he used the pills to try to feel right and play and ended up addicted?

I don't see this as a "whoops" situation -- I think he has a real problem.  I worry for him.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#194 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

I think he's probably addicted to pain pills --he's had, what, 4-5 surgeries on his back? He's doing everything he can to get back to playing, maybe he used the pills to try to feel right and play and ended up addicted?

I don't see this as a "whoops" situation -- I think he has a real problem. I worry for him.

Yea...I think this is the more likely scenario than what Ricker is trying to drum up. (Although I don't disagree that Ricker's scenario is possible)
@BSLRobShields

#195 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

What am I trying to drum up? What I'm saying is being addicted to pain killers isn't any better in the context of this DUI than being an alcoholic is. It seems like there's a consensus of, oh what a relief, he wasn't drunk. What? Like Pedro, I worry about him. That's a dark road and a very slippery slope.

#196 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

This

@BSLRobShields

#197 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Well of course. If you've taken enough where you're falling asleep and still being deemed "Under the influence" at 3 AM, then you're probably trying to have a good time. Not sure why that bothers you.

#198 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Well of course. If you've taken enough where you're falling asleep and still being deemed "Under the influence" at 3 AM, then you're probably trying to have a good time. Not sure why that bothers you.

Ok, then you are ok with anyone saying that someone with a problem is "just trying to have a good time"?  That its not the addiction that is causing the issue.

This would seem to go against all the times you have stood up for those people but hey, to each their own.

@BSLRobShields

#199 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,619 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

Ricker, I'm not a tiger fan. I don't even like golf. I've taken some medications before and don't remember large swaths of time. I'm just saying it's possible, and everyone has already crafted the worst story imaginable. He probably doesn't deserve the benefit but for whatever reason I think he's being truthful. Cerrano is most likely right about an addiction of some sort.

@fuzydunlop

#200 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

Ok, then you are ok with anyone saying that someone with a problem is "just trying to have a good time"?  That its not the addiction that is causing the issue.

This would seem to go against all the times you have stood up for those people but hey, to each their own.

Show me where I have stood up for "those people" doing bad things while under the influence. Trust me, as someone who has struggled with addiction, I'm well aware of how awful it can be. I know you've wandered out from the kiddie pool, but you're obviously missing every point I made with regards to treating addiction rather than throwing people in jail for using.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners